Then Leave

• 21 Replies

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 09:10:41 PM »
Hi Shiny,

I really enjoyed listening to your song. I thought I heard Sade singing after reading some of the replies you'd got. I must admit I prefer a male voice, adds a bit more of an edge for me, how could you leave me and ask to be friends, wonderfully hidden by the music.

Very impressive,

diadem

Dogmax

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 10:33:31 PM »
Ah shit Man and i was doing so well been off those silly fecking swear words but shit Man this is Brilliant.

I see you on stage wearing that black tuxedo with dickie bow and that bass player WOW.

If sometime in the future i buy a nightclub ill be wanting you to sing this song LIVE   8)

MAGIC   8)

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 11:27:45 AM »
Hi ST, great feeling to this recording, nice atmosphere created with a good arrangement and playing. Definitely a classic jazz feel. Nice work.
Cheers
Jamie

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 09:30:43 PM »
This is sooooooooooooooooooo smoove

I absolutely LOVE it

I did fancy lighting up a Hamlet cigar for some reason  ;)

I can see what you mean about having a sultry female vocal but I think it works equally well with a male vocal

I didn't like the "doubled" vocal - but I DID like your voice on this so I think it would be worth trying to record a stellar vocal yourself bit by bit - even if it takes a long time to record that perfect take it will be worth it as the song itself is so strong

It might even be worth scouring your local area for a "crooner" (eg a Frank impersonator) that might record the vocal for you in exchange for them using an original song in their set - which would also help get your stuff "out there"
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2014, 09:09:58 PM »
Thanks again for the comments everyone. It really helps to get your pointers and to just know that people kinda like this stuff.

Hardtwistmusic: Made me check out Etta James. How could I not know about her! I can see why you thought of that song.

Neil C: Yes, well I don't feel too happy with the title but I tend to name a song very early on and then it sticks and sometimes I lose sight of the fact that it doesn't really fit. I don't fancy using 'Crying myself back to sleep' though and 'there way we used to be' is too similar to 'The way we were' I dunno. I think this one will remain as it is. Thanks for your comments. Much appreciated.

Diademgrove: Unfortunately Sade is not taking my calls at the moment ;) Glad you spotted that 'just friends' sideswipe. I always think that a mistake... doesn't work.

Dogmax: I love it when let rip with your comments. Thanks, it means a lot to have someone get so excited. I'll be there at your club but you better keep the whiskey hidden until I've done my set! On the subject of swearing ... I added up the contents of my swear box today ... £86.62! That's a lot of fecking swearing man!

Jamie; Thank you so much, glad you enjoyed it. Cheltenham Jazz festival, 1st week in May ... just saying that's all!

Boydie: Thank you. I have already taken off the chorus effect on the vox and it does sound better. I also tamed that bass a bit after Matt's comments which were spot on. Nice of you to say the song is strong. I feel it is myself but it is so hard to be sure about your own stuff. I like the idea of finding a local crooner, I better start going out a bit more and find one.
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 09:26:27 PM »
Beeeeeautiful song!

I completely agree with tokenangmoh that some of those lyrics are sublime!

And (sorry Benjo!) i have to disagree about the hundred year line.....IMO it's spot on. I LOVE unashamedly casually enormous exaggerations like that, in fact I'd have been tempted to make it a thousand.

The only suggestion i might presume to make would be to take the "from" out of the last line of the second verse - finish that verse with "refrain" - and start the next with "from"...

The only thing i don't love in this is the strings. I don't think they help to bring anything out. Oh and i agree with tokenangmoh as well about keeping the vocal pure.

The guitar work is fantastically languid.

Just beautiful!

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 10:22:04 PM »
Thanks Caco for all those compliments. I agree that the strings are not right but I like how they support the second verse. Maybe I need to think again about instrumentation and get away from the 'ensemble' sound that I used. Have to admit I didn't give it a lot of thought. I have toned them down a lot now after Matt's observations (as well as taken the chorus off of the vox) but I wouldn't want to lose them altogether. I keep going over that vocal change you suggest but haven't yet made it work in my head. I mean the chorus change sounds good but I'm not sure about how it leaves the verse.
At the moment there is a forumite slaving away with their own interpretation of the vocals ... I've had a little taster/teaser files sent through and it is very good ... looking forward to hearing the finished version. :)
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans