need help writing a song

• 3 Replies

sing-a-song

• Busker
« on: August 12, 2011, 07:17:17 PM »
 i try to write a love song but but every time i try it doesnt sound right or too cheese if there is any one out there willing to help me!!!

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 09:49:58 PM »
Hi sing-a-song

Thanks for joining the forum! I'm sure there are plenty of folks here who'd be happy to offer help.

Have you recorded any of your work so far? Feel free to post your work in the reviews forum for some detailed feedback.

What part of the song are you struggling with? Lyrics, melody, arrangement etc?

Tone :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 12:42:49 AM »
Because love songs have been done and done and done again by thousands of artists it's difficult to not be cheesy.
I would say 'don't write a love song' but seeing as that's your sole intention here I can't really give that advice.
Try taking it from an original angle. One of my best songs is technically a love song but it extends the 'love is a battlefield' metaphor and looks at it from the 'losing side'. I actually wrote it because I was really pissed off at artists constantly whinging about love being a battlefield and not really explaining anything. They clearly knew fxck all about war and it fxcking pissed me off.
Defective Elector

Mr.Chainsaw

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 02:09:15 PM »
What kinda "love" we talking about here? Lust? Admiration? Everyones favourite, unrequieted? Self destructive?

Way I see it, love songs are either about the subject ("You're so beautiful") or about self ("You make me feel yadda yadda"). What do you want to say?

As to not being cheesy...not easy. Like Corsair said, love is a subject that's been written about maaaany times in the history of mankind. All I can say is try and get some sincerity into whatever you're writing. If you believe what you're saying, so will the listener. Diane Warren wrote (and Celine Dion performed) Because You Loved Me about her father and all the support he gave her in her life. Now it gets sung in a romantic context. Yet know one notices the past tense of the song (Loved), because she genuinely felt every word of it.

Here's another example of what I mean

Unique? Yeah. Sincere? Yeah. Cheesy? ...well, yeah. But I'd put it at the Mascarpone mark ;)
Everything is easier said than done.

Except talking.

That's about the same.