If you don't mind

• 9 Replies

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« on: June 01, 2013, 12:58:16 PM »
One about changing your life for the better and cutting loose someone who is holding you back or stopping you living life the way you want instead of being trapped in a relationship that is going nowhere and stopping you from achieving your dreams and goals.

Its a gender neutral song though I always think it would suit a young male Pop artist even though I've got a weird vocal melody running through my head that is a weird cross between Taylor Swifts 22 and Brigit Mendlers Ready or Not so I guess it might actually be better suited to a young female artist!!!!

As always all feed back welcome and greatly appreciated :)

If you don’t mind ©Hearty 2013

V1
I’d like to change the record,
If you don’t mind,
This old you’ve been playing,
Is stuck on rewind

Been the same old song,
For far too long,
The performance doesn’t change,
Gonna change the tune,
To something new,
And go dancing in the rain

PC
That’s what life,
That’s what life,
Yeah that’s what life is all about

C
So if you don’t mind,
I’m gonna start living, living my life,
And if you don’t mind,
I’m gonna lose myself, lose myself tonight,
Do whatever I want, whatever I please,
Cos I’m young, I’m single, I’m free
So if you don’t mind,
Tell them all go away and leave me be

V2
If you don’t mind,
Something you needa’ hear,
Oh babe I really hope,
It don’t fall on deaf ears

Been hearing this tune,
From morning ‘til noon,
Ah I can’t take it anymore,
Oh baby I love ya but,
I’ve hit mutual destruct
Cos I’m ending this Cold War

PC
That’s what life,
That’s what life,
Yeah that’s what life is all about

C
So if you don’t mind,
And if you don’t mind,
So if you don’t mind,

B
I’m young, I’m single and I’m free,
I’m free, I’m free
I’m young, I’m single and I’m free,
I’m free, I’m free
So tell them all go away and leave me be

C
So if you don’t mind,
And if you don’t mind,
So if you don’t mind,

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 02:48:49 PM »
hi sing4me88,

lot going on in this persons head
different emotions came across well to me
bridge WOW loved it i could feel the release and the joy of freedom
well worked piece NICELY DONE take care...

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 02:59:49 PM »
Thanks Benjo. Glad you liked it and were able to connect with it.

Mixed emotions is kinda what it is about. Knowing something that seems great isn't actually as good as it seems and having the courage to say 'enough of this' even if that is hard to do!

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 04:52:58 PM »
The first verses and the bridge are really nice and I mean it's a great pop song, but personally not my favourite song of yours, (not in any way saying its not a good song). It's very marketable and I really did get the '22-ready or not' vibe from it, it also reminded me of 'girls just wanna have fun', I would say this was more of a female perspective than a males, so I think a female singer would be more suited. It's a good pop write
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

BooBoo

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 08:42:16 PM »
Seems like this would be a really catchy song to put into music. It's good lyrically but I wouldn't say amazing if you know what I mean? It would make a good catchy pop song though which is what you seem to be best at writing.
VOTE FOR JUNE LOTM!!!!!!!

cena69

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 08:45:20 PM »
i agree with above comments,
and actully a guy with a higher pitch voice would do pretty good with it as well
but that doesn't matter when it is a good song like this

cena69

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 04:00:27 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Wasn't really sure when I first got the idea for this one how it would develop and play out but it kinda just took on a life of its own! 100% agree Jess and Boo- the lyrics are deliberately kept simple and conversational as it fitted the tone of the Pop type song I was aiming for. I guess I'm kinda realizing that Pop songs aren't crafted from epic poetry and I'm trying to write in a more marketable way :)

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 04:18:00 PM »
I guess I'm kinda realizing that Pop songs aren't crafted from epic poetry and I'm trying to write in a more marketable way :)
Personally I disagree, all that manufactured pop music has a shelf life- I mean who's going to be listening to half of will.i.am's solo music in 10 years time? It's all the pop that has actual meaning that stays in the charts and makes all the money- the Bruno mars, gaga, katy perry, Adele, etc. I mean what's the point making music if you do it for the marketability and not because it means something? Write how YOU want to write instead of going with the typical manufactured stuff, because you're way better than that!

Wow THAT was deep ;D
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 06:53:40 PM »
I can see your point Jess. The thing is I'm not an artist or musician and won't ever be. I'm not looking to sing my own songs or forge out a career as an artist. I'm trying to write commercially viable songs to pitch to artists, publishers, labels etc and to be 100% honest I've got a greater desire to make heaps of money rather than go down in the annals of music history for penning a great song. It probably sounds horrible and in a way it is but I'll be honest and make no qualms about saying it. In terms of commercially viable songs that make an instant impact just look at Call me maybe- the lyrics are so simple yet the song was a worldwide hit. I'm not saying I could writ anything even remotely close to that but that would be the aim.

To be frank although I write lyrics of a particular style I wouldn't really listen to any of my songs even if they became big. I'm more into FUN, Dire Straits, Queen etc but a I can't write anything anywhere near as good as those guys and b the music industry has changed meaning that what is en vogue now is not the type of thing I 'like'.

I guess 2 of my favourite songs are Elie Gouldings 'The Writer' and Alicia Keys 'Girl on fire' but I know I'll never be a wordsmith capable of crafting such magnificent lyrical masterpieces. If I thought I could pen a 'Someone like you' or 'Explosions' I'd try but I know I'm limited so I guess that restricts me to thrashy Pop. I know it seems awful and I'm not what I term a 'real' songwriter like some of the amazing girls and guys on here but if I honestly had a choice of writing a heartfelt lyrical masterpiece that never seen the light of day on radio or writing an absurd Pop number that Jedward managed to propel to the charts top I'd choose the latter. I've never hid the fact that my aim is to get a publishing deal and that explains why some of my lyrics are becoming 'dumbed down' a bit.I'm not defending it I'm simply calling it like it is.

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 04:18:39 PM »
Interesting comments here.  I don't think writing 'commercially' necessarily 'dumbs down' your song as much as whoever sings it can do.  There are plenty of extremely simple songs out there which people relate to and have become successful because they have been well handled :-)
Good luck!
GTB
GTB