Stars

• 12 Replies

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« on: April 08, 2011, 05:41:21 PM »
Stars wrote itself after a flick through an expensive glossy magazine one day. I was struck by the advice for living within the pages, 'try a low-cal diet, drive a German car.'  I thought I'd balance things a little by saying that sometimes, people  feel quite average, demotivated and though they would love to excel in life it can sometimes be a struggle.  I wrote this song for The Vanity Rules.  It's one of my favourite live songs and features on the 'Your Absence Of Grace' CD.  I was so keen to include this on the album when it was brand new, that Peter had one evening only to learn and record his vocal. We're both disappointed with the singing, especially the timing which is superb now that he is familiar with the song. We know that he can do much better. shame on me for being so impatient! We should have waited, but still, I love to hear Peter singing.  I make no excuses for the 'reach for the stars line, as it was deliberately chosen to convey the idea 'though you may feel average, reach for the stars.' There is nothing sweet about it's use.  Thanks for listening to The Vanity Rules!

http://picosong.com/VzS

Stars

How strange the thought that plague our lives.
The world moves on, then swiftly back again.
If growing old makes you sigh,
then please, do ask yourself why!

Try a low-cal diet, drive a German car
and though you may feel average, reach for the stars.

The clothes you wear don't suit your frame.
The boss is late and you're on time again.
Your days all merge into one,
a life on track, then it's gone!

Try a low-cal diet, drive a German car
and though you may feel average, reach for the stars.

I've been falling down like a circus clown in a cartoon show where no-one knows my name.
Why do we always yearn to be, more than circumstance allows us at the time.  

Written by Paul Vasey
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 05:56:40 PM by pablo »

massa

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 07:07:00 PM »
I'm really enjoying listening to this. You've done really well here. I have the song in my head after one listen.

I don't now what you mean when you write: I make no excuses for the 'reach for the stars line, as it was deliberately chosen to convey the idea 'though you may feel average, reach for the stars.' There is nothing sweet about it's use. 

What do you mean sweet? Huh.

The only thing about the song that I want to say is I think if you didn't have the lyrics in front of you it sounds like he's singing try a local diet. i.e. eat seasonal fruits and vegetables from your region. I would change that to low-carb diet, as it keeps it a bit more contemporary, and you can tell that it's two words.

Paul

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 09:10:10 PM »
Hi massa,

Thanks for your review.  Now that I've read my post again,  I agree it isn't easy to understand. 

When I presented this song to my band, the lads had a bit of laugh at the reach for the stars line' as it was the title of an sickly sweet  S Club 7  song. That detracted a little from the buzz that I got from writing this song.   I make no excuses for using this phrase as it may be thought of as a little over used or tired.  I did so because it communicacted my ideas perfectly, i.e.  When people read glossy magazines, the reviews about the best performing cars, the people who lose vast amounts of weight etc  how do they feel? If you haven't got the life skills, talent, motivation etc you're often reading about an unobtainable lifestyle!  The particular magazine that I was reading might as well have said 'though you may feel average, reach for the stars.'  Hopefully, things are a liitle clearer now.  Apologies for the confusion.

Thanks again for the review.  I'm really pleased that you enjoyed listening,

Paul

massa

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »
Oh yeah the SClub song!  :D 

I understand what you're meaning, about the lifestyle etc, it's a good analogy. Don't worry your song defo isn't on the same level of campness as theirs...but do you have a snazzy dance to go with yours?  ;)

Paul

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 09:09:25 PM »
If ever I'm totally sick of playing in the band, I'll implement a snazzy routine. Bands are difficult to keep together but that should put an end to our run of twenty years plus!  :D

Thanks again massa. It's always a pleasure to read your posts.
Paul
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 06:06:04 PM by pablo »

Sonic-r

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 06:03:54 PM »
I really enjoyed this song. It had a good structure, layered arrangements and the energy that came in on the first chorus was a pleasant surprise. I can see why this is a favourite to perform live. I'm sure you get good feedback from your audiences. I see what you're saying about the 'stars' lyric, but any comparison to SClub 7 only comes out in conversation. It's isn't noticeable in the song itself.

I do have one nitpick though, and that was the irregualr rhythm of some of the drums, mainly in parts of the second half of the song (2m 18s onwards and in the guitar solo). I wanted to hear a straightforward rhythm, but there was a lot of stop start drumming going on. It sounded so much better when it was allowed to flow.

Peter's voice reminded me of Glen Tilbrook out of Squeeze. He's a very good singer.

Chris

Mellowh

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 07:53:57 PM »
Great vocal. instrumentation and  arrangement, pretty consistent with your work Pablo in that it's always of a high standard and a good listen. Again there is always passion with your work but I do find some of the language in the verses to be a bit lacking in mystique e.g, 'Try a low-cal diet, drive a German car'. Sometimes I find that you just say what's on your mind pretty directly and as a listener it doesn't leave me space to interpret things in my own way. I thought the reach for the stars line was sung really well that it sounded sweet! Always enjoy listening to your stuff.

postmn

• Solo Gig
  • I am not done listening to myself
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 08:08:59 PM »
 some deep and complicated lyrics, i cant play the song,cos my computer is not playing sound but it sounds like a chill song and really like it.

'try a low cal-diet' or tofu :L

kicked

• Open Mic
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 09:57:24 AM »
After playing this song a few times it is becoming very familiar to my ears.you have a really good voice.you probably don't need me to tell you that.
           Looking forward to hearing more!

hofnerite

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 10:20:06 PM »
This is really good professional quality stuff. All parts of the song work well together, nothing feels out of place and the singer sure does have an excellent voice. Can I steal him for my songs?!!

I think 'that' line is fine (excuse the pun) Yes it has been overused in culture but in this song it doesn't sound cheesy at all, in fact I think the song needs a big line like this for it to have the impact it does.

Zelig

• Busker
    • Isocelus
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 01:23:41 PM »
Very good song, Paul. Great singing. Quality stuff!

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 08:37:40 PM »
Paul

How can we offer criticism to such a high level of skill in songwriting? A lovely song that suits the vanity rules sound perfectly. It's a shame about the timing issues in the vocal but I can hear past it easily.

It seems that you're a prolific songwriter, Paul; I wish I could write more often, but it's something I just can't seem to force, only encourage. Having said that, I'm writing more often now than at any time in pretty much the last 10 years, so I shouldn't complain really!

Thanks for sharing :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Soul Punk

• Solo Gig
  • Wild hearts... Blue jeans and white T-Shirts
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 11:20:11 PM »
Enjoyed this man

I'm probably way off but this slightly reminded me of She Sells Sanctuary... Don't ask why..

Favourite line...

''I've been falling down like a circus clown in a cartoon show where no-one knows my name''

Top class in my opinion
Wild hearts... Blue jeans and white T-Shirts