konalavadome

Stay in Touch (live) - J Nighthawk

• 18 Replies

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« on: June 16, 2013, 06:37:44 PM »
Hey all

This is a cut from the live session I did recently that ended up as my Free EP download. This one didn't make the EP, but I kept it back for SoundCloud.

I recorded the album version of this ages ago, with my studio partner-in-crime Jenny on desk duties. She wanted me to leave the studio version as just guitar/vocal. I ignored her (ha!) and added organ, percusion, piano and bass. She grew to like the studio version, but I have come full circle and now like it stripped back too. Without an arrangement it suddenly becomes all about the words and delivery...

It's not the sexiest of my songs, more a poem to music.

I haven't written many like this recently so will be interested in hearing whether I should go back to this style more? Cheers!

https://soundcloud.com/jamesnighthawk/stay-in-touch-live-and

The album version is up on Spotify etc

Stay in Touch

Once on a cold November night
Where our time we did sever
Framed in the glimmer of candlelight
Our souls limp to shelter
Fear not change and fear not life
For they’ll both come get ya
Honesty rocks an honest fight
For the better

So stop this now
Give me my dues
This I vow; I loved you

Complications block the light
Light that is blinding to the eyes
We hesitate but we don’t know why
Why we shock without surprise
No I’m not trying to make amends
No it’s not that simple
Common sense helps us to pretend
That we’re equal

So stop this now
Give me my dues
This I vow
I loved you
But this My Love         
Is not enough
To mend this Love
So stay in touch

BREAK

Bold distraction is what we need
Stalemate is no fun
Aching touch and a silent plead
How to end what we begun
Hatched as lovers, dissolved to friends
Resonance of a happy home
Now we must face life, once again
Alone

CHORUS

https://soundcloud.com/jamesnighthawk/stay-in-touch-live-and
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Dogmax

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 08:50:46 PM »
Well James

You're the type of singer songwriter that would stop a conversation because we all want to listen to you, there something about your style to me that just keep getting better and better and the best about it is you know exactly what you want out of a song.

I love your guitar playing it lead me into your words of poetry very very nicely, Jools Holland show has the perfect atmosphere for this type of song and if i was him i would have you on that show.

Really nice James i like it a lot and your words are just right, now if you don't mind I'm going to listen to this again.   8)

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 10:52:30 PM »
I think the stripped back approach really brings this song into its own and showcases just how strong a writer and musician you actually are.

The guitar playing was first class, it blends in with the vocals so seamlessly and comes up with a haunting yet almost hypnotic song.

I love the chorus its very simple yet very catchy and well written. I love the line about stalemate being no fun.

I haven't listened to the full studio version but I'm kinda smitten with this version and I can't imagine the 'full production' having the same magic that this stripped back acoustic version packs.

Kafla

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 12:13:29 PM »
Excellent James , beautifully played , heartfelt lyrics and well constructed

Just goes to show that regardless of your production skills something as simple as this can strike a chord

I actually much prefer your stripped down arrangements - this is class songwriting

cheers  ;D

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 10:34:46 PM »

Loved it James.....great emotion in the vocals and the playing. Lovely powerful sound and energy to the guitar playing, loved the variation of attack, and a lovely interesting rhythm, which is captivating and a real pleasure to hear......
Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 10:53:12 PM »
Hi James...what can I say...it's very beautiful...I love the simplicity of this song...it really puts the lyrics out front, where they belong...'Our souls limp to shelter'...wow!:)...lovely vocals and guitar...quality stuff man...should be on the radio waves for sure...thanks :)

jameba

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 11:39:51 PM »
lovely lyrics, great voice to go with it and bring out the emotion. could well be on the radio for me. well done

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 02:35:52 AM »
Well I am just a fan of yours James, full stop, so I like both versions :)

Its a cool song, I think you underrate when you say its more a poem set to music, its way past that IMHO.

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 12:07:55 PM »
Wow, thanks for all the lovely comments. And to think I almost left this one on the cutting room floor.  :o
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 12:53:53 PM »
Gorgeous guitar playing and beautifully recorded. Sensitive, spot on vocals. I'm a big fan of just vocal and acoustic guitar arrangements (and I'm too lazy and inept to do full productions  ;D). You've got to have strong material and an engaging voice for it to work as well as this.

Cracking stuff as I would expect.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 01:00:22 PM »
This is the best thing iv`e heard you do..i`m sure? or as good as!!

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 01:54:59 PM »
Hi James,

You always get a great sound on that guitar - as if we're in the room with you. Jealous as hell! :)
Nice vocal. I'm with the others - this stripped down approach seems to bring the best out of you.

It's interesting, because although it's not super "hooky," it does draw you in and keep you there.

Nice one.

Digger

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 05:37:53 PM »
Great guitar playing but it's your voice - it's so unique and original.  I like this song very much. the chorus I would have made flowing and desperate, but then I'm predictable and you're not!!!!

BUT

I want you to write a really predictable pop love song ballad, go on, it will be really good for you from an educational point of view <summons up all her manipulative powers and flutters lashes expectantly>
 ;D
xxx

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 09:04:30 PM »
sounds great stripped back vocal and acoustic, dig the acoustic playing!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks

basshead

• Busker
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 10:19:14 PM »
hi james. sounding good with just an acoustic gtr accompaniment is the mark of a great song IMHO. excellent performance. great song.
if u always do what you've always done you'll always get what you've always got