Stellar Song

• 15 Replies

namenowoneman

• Busker
    • NameNowOneMan
« on: March 09, 2012, 10:37:55 AM »
My third song:

http://soundcloud.com/namenowoneman/stellar-song

I'd paste the lyrics, but I'm not sure what order they go in :)

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 11:05:24 AM »
Very inspirational.

It's like a huge experiment in sound and it works really well. It sends your head all over the place, but that's good :) Keeps you on your toes.

I'm not sure I could listen to it too often and would have to be in a meditative/wanting to be taken on a trip mood to really enjoy it.

It's a lot more claustrophobic than the last one you put up, found it hard to breathe at times :)

Cool how music can effect you in so many different ways  ;D
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 04:36:52 PM »
i tried to listen to this while i was cooking dinner & i began to lose touch with my bolognese!
its very dreamy & unusual & different.... i wouldnt have a clue how to write anything like this maybe you dont write it you make it up as you go along? its certainly sounds very good
i will let you know what my family think of the bolognese when it appears on the table! :)
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 05:40:54 PM »
It is so thought provoking - as a concept, fantastic - I could imagining it accompanying some kind of installation in the Turbine room at the Tate Modern perhaps - made my spine tingle. Don't know what else to say.... thanks. BTB
not really good at anything - but as long as I am breathing I will keep on trying

namenowoneman

• Busker
    • NameNowOneMan
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 10:31:35 AM »
Aw, thank you! It's interesting, that thing about breathing, it probably has to do with the displaced phrasing. A lot of maths went into it... Tinam, I was eating my bolognese earlier as I was reading your comment :) Little of it was made up as I went along. Had most of the structures written out before I started.

Dutchbeat

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 11:59:22 AM »
impressive! How do you make this, one man?

is it you singing? also the high voices? or are the samples? please tell a bit about how you write and record your music...

everything keeps changing yet it sounds very consistent. very clever work!

loved to hear this!!!!

gerrybhoy

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 12:14:17 PM »
Really enjoyed the piece, if the lyric is important to the piece then perhaps back off a little on the reverb to allow a little more clarity, if not and the vocals are to be part of a soundscape so to speak, then you have placed them perfectly. I enjoyed the listen. 
singerysongwritery type individual a natural born weegieburger and lover of the black country dogs

JackHalkabar

• Busker
    • Jack Halkabar Official Website
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 11:56:13 PM »
I don't now what it is, I don't know how you made this, But I hella like it! Nice work!

namenowoneman

• Busker
    • NameNowOneMan
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 01:13:34 AM »
Yep, it's me singing throughout (except the intro, which is my fiance :)) With this one, the lyric was much less premeditated than in the previous tunes. Went more with the vibe than technique, scansion and suchlike - and so I thought I'd make them stand out less and drown them in reverb. The metric structure of the 2 verses comes from the Fibonacci sequence (long story short). I then mapped the phrasing against it. The middle section was more improvised than the rest, and I played around with placing words around a bossa-nova-esque rhythmic pattern. The instrumental section is sort of like a 5-part string ensemble score.

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 01:27:27 AM »
"The metric structure of the 2 verses comes from the Fibonacci sequence"
Please would you explain that to me? I'm really interested to know how you utilized those numbers  :)
I love it when music is experimented with. I love science too :)
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

namenowoneman

• Busker
    • NameNowOneMan
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 11:40:05 AM »
I stacked up fifths on top of each other in key places (as played by the chimey instrument in the background) - I took 233 and then divided it into 144 and 89 and whacked the first fifth there, then divided 144, then 89, and so on, until every beat was covered.

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 12:12:09 AM »
Jesus. I'm not even going to try haha. That's a really far out and cool thing to do! And it sounds so great too!

You might be inventing the music of the universe here  :)

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 12:39:01 AM »
really terrific
like a building you walk around,
lots of light, amazing vocals
excellent track
nooms

brilliant name as well..
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 02:52:57 AM »
Ah, the serialists would be proud! Maths and music have quite the history.

I did some 12tone/serialism at uni. It was a fun experiment and taught me much. But I didn't like the rigidity, (nor the inherent atonality)

This however works wonders. Sticking to more aurally pleasant chord structures and playing with timings and harmonic stacking instead is a much more approachable way to mathematise music.

It makes me think of Thom Yorke's solo stuff, along with some recent Bjork work. Very intense yet enjoyable listening that doesn't jar the ear for the sake of it, as some experimental styles do.

I look forward to hearing more!
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Songsmith

• Solo Gig
  • If you can feel, you can write!!
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 07:04:20 PM »
Loved this,

It reminded me of the middle east in so many ways although not in the arabic scale.

Really well done & great vocals. Fantastic ambience, great job :) :) :)