konalavadome

Lyric Videos

• 15 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« on: December 01, 2022, 09:20:12 PM »
Has anybody done any lyric videos? We’ve been experimenting with some. I can’t take any credit for this one but would be interested to know what software others have used if they have done some. Anyway, a bit of fun this one

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 11:27:33 PM »
I use a program called YouTube Movie Maker (the free version of it at any rate).

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2022, 12:37:15 PM »
Hi John @pompeyjazz

I've done a couple where I've used scrolling lyrics across the bottom of the screen...it was a right carry-on to do it, though...using iMovie on Mac.

I think videos are a fantastic idea...loads more folks goof around on YouTube than souncloud or anything like that...and it seems so much better to have something to watch too...

The thing I find tough is finding some background visuals to go with the songs...a lot of stuff is copyrited...not that that would necessarily bother me unduly...but I remember in the early days of t'internet, I got a warning for using bits of an old Jack the Ripper film for an original song...I was amazed that someone could be trawling the internet for such a thing as copyright infringement. It was probably the only view the video ever had...

I still hope to do more videos...so I'm always looking out for bits of film and animations I could use...currently trying to use some of the memes and animated gifs that you see around and trying to think of ways to use them...

I wish there was an easy program that could just bring up a line of text whenever you pressed the space bar or something as simple as that...I'd be dead easy to sync the lyrics to the vocals that way...there probably is something similar, but I haven't seen it.

Going back a canny while now...but the old Microsoft Movie Maker (I think it was called) was excellent...though slightly limited in its scope. Not enough to contribute much towards Bill Gates £999 billion pounds, or whatever he made for inventing the worlds most problematic operating system of course, but pretty good nevertheless.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022, 12:47:25 PM »
PS That's a pretty cool video...it looks a bit like one of those 1960's public information films. Good song too!

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2022, 03:09:59 PM »
Hi John @pompeyjazz
I wish there was an easy program that could just bring up a line of text whenever you pressed the space bar or something as simple as that...I'd be dead easy to sync the lyrics to the vocals that way...there probably is something similar, but I haven't seen it.
The one I use (YouTube Movie Maker) allows for this. You just put the lyrics in a text file. It's really simple - just press and hold a key when you want each line to come up and release when you want it to disappear. Then you can tinker with the timings if you get some slightly wrong.

You can play around with all sorts of effects for how the lyrics show as well.

The free option allows you to record videos up to 5 minutes long I believe.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2022, 11:34:46 PM »
Hey @pompeyjazz / @PaulAds  / @Sterix

Really glad you opened this thread and I’ve already got a lot from the replies.

First up, I love that song John - it’s got a bucolic upbeat Kinksy feel to it.  And I thought the video worked a treat - not contrived, but a nice visual accompaniment to the music.  Where did you get the farming footage?

This is a really timely thread for me, because I’ve been spending nearly all my ‘music time’ recently trying to work on primitive videos in fact (which is largely why my ‘new song’ output has been non-existent here for at least half a year or so).  I’ve been kind of conflicted by the whole video thing… It struck me that the video streaming platforms are really important to getting your stuff heard these days, like PaulAds says.  On the other hand, I didn’t really want to be in the videos.  So initially I set out trying to make a lyric video for some of my old tracks, using public domain photographs from the internet (mostly, Wikimedia Commons), editing them a bit using Gimp software, then stringing them into a video using iMovie.  Here is one work in progress vid for a song that was on these boards a few years ago… I’d appreciate any feedback on it, as it is my first video attempt ever. As it’s all new to me I can’t really judge if it adds anything or is a pile of crap. The photos it uses are mostly convicts from North Shields from 100 years ago.

The thing is with public domain videos, they tend to be really old it seems.  I’ve found a few useful sites - alongside Wikimedia Commons, I found sites like the Prelinger Archives which are full of weird old video footage: https://archive.org/details/prelinger
pexels.com also seems to have some video clips that are free to use if you credit the creators somehow.
And then there are sites like rotorvideos.com that seemed to offer free and paid for footage. 

However, I've started getting frustrated with the time it was taking to trawl through various sites and download the public domain stuff… and a little bit of me feels that someone else could be using the exact same footage and somehow it didn’t feel ‘original’ enough.  So now I’m coming round to the idea that it’ll just be quicker/simpler to either shoot stuff on my iPhone (and just get over myself and face up to being in the videos) or try and take or source original photos.  In fact, this thread has given me an idea - I think I’m going to ask for the forum’s help on that for one track, in a separate thread.

It’d be great to discuss videos more here as it’s inevitably a pretty big part of the song process now I guess.  There have been some great videos posted by the people on here... Mora's are always brilliant, as are Maya's, and I remember 'Christmas As It Used to Be' had a cracking video PaulAds.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 11:51:46 PM by PaulyX »
It's all too beautiful.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2022, 09:50:33 AM »
I’m with you all the way on this, @PaulyX

I’ve done 8 videos I think…and it’s something I’d love to be able to do more of and be better at.

When my daughter was doing an art course, I wondered if any of the universities and colleges up and down the country would have students who would like to work on some projects where they had music and a narrative they could work around. It’s a little cheeky I suppose to be asking, but i would have thought it could be beneficial to both parties.

Then there’s all the amateur dramatic societies and film-making clubs…

I’d like to think we could maybe try to pool our resources and ideas a little here…we can easily share files and what-have-you…I have a few ideas I’d be happy to share with interested parties.

Perhaps we could have a songwriters forum video makers section/thread?

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2022, 11:11:46 AM »
Yeah I'd be well up for that @PaulAds ... pooling resources ... oddly at the minute I'd feel better about being in someone else's video than my own.  A video thread or even dedicated board on the forum might be good.  Love the idea about AmDram clubs etc.
It's all too beautiful.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2022, 10:42:41 PM »
That video is excellent, I reckon. Elastic Justice were/are such a great band!

Loved the bit where their moustaches grew :)

It's a bit Monty Python with the bit where the copper is clapping...and it does more than enough to convey the story without getting bogged down or losing its appeal. It's hard to get something like this to work with the limited amount of source material and I think you made great use of the old photos and video of the (keystone-style) cops.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2022, 06:04:25 PM »
I think that’s a really well put together @PaulyX I can’t take any credit for The Auditors videos as one of the other lads does them but what he does say is that it’s a balls aching task trawling through old videos and finding stuff that doesn’t infringe copyright. I believe that he’s got quite a bit of stuff from British Pathe. I think that’s the major problem, finding the right material which probably takes more time than recording a song

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2022, 04:54:23 PM »
I've done a couple more recently...I'm still trying to figure out the best way to do things...but it's just a bit of fun...

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

Wicked deeds

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2022, 07:01:17 PM »
@PaulAds,  I once met a bloke just like the one in your video on Seaton front,  The likeness is spot on!  Aside from that the video is very entertaining and the song is quality1

Paul

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2022, 07:22:06 PM »
Top stuff Paul - I particularly love the singing Paul Ads Santa  ;D ;D

Ha! Ta, John 😀

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2022, 07:25:22 PM »
@PaulAds,  I once met a bloke just like the one in your video on Seaton front,  The likeness is spot on!  Aside from that the video is very entertaining and the song is quality1

Paul

Thanks Paul @Wicked deeds  …aye…those were the days, my friend!

I hope we can - as Vera Lynn said - meet again, some sunny day 😀