XMAS SONG COMP - The Yule Cat

• 21 Replies

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 11:56:36 PM »
Well that's quite a horrific legend diademgrove :o but I think you've captured the horror of it very well in your song :o I'm really glad you put the link to the story behind it though, because when I listened to it before reading that, my thought was 'what the hell was that all about' ??? it was so depressing  :(
you gotta wonder how some of our folklore came about, especially when it concerns children ???

but I think it's great that you brought this back to life through your song...I thought your vocals suited this very well...the guitar solo was awesome and the video was well done, although I didn't get the meaning of the dead cat at the end  ???
I guess the only suggestion I can make, is to have the chorus to go somewhere a little different than the verses...kudos for entering something so original  :) :) CS

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2013, 07:40:00 AM »
Thanks crystalsuzy. I'll give Beetle a stroke and tell him he plays a dead cat well. He may be pleased. It was meant to represent a well fed cat sleeping, which he was. I filmed his reflection so he looked as if he was outside, which may explain his lack of breathing.

I thought about a chorus but couldn't think of anything that would work without interrupting the story.

Glad you liked it,

diadem

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2013, 11:18:59 PM »
This was an intriguing track

I loved the barrage of sounds and I also really liked the idea of the legend on which you based the song, which was a very clever idea

Bear with me on this next one...

I would love to hear this track "pepped up" a bit with driving drums and at a much faster tempo

I then think the vocal would work perfectly as a RAP  :o

I think this could really work well!!!!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Jeremy

• Busker
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2013, 03:36:59 PM »
Hi Diademgrove,
Gloomy creepy stuff! Makes me think of the Cure. I first listened to it, then read the tale and listened again. Sure it makes more sense after reading the tale, but your lyrics are strong enough to keep the listener a bit in the dark.
Your intro and guitar solo are welcome spices in the mix. Just the vocal is a little bit monotone. If you add a subtle little twist somewhere (like speak or whisper a verse or change the key) you'll probably be able to break that a little.
Other than that, yes, weird but nice!
Cheers,
Jeremy

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2013, 12:54:40 PM »
Thanks Boydie and Jeremy. Agree about the drums, my one real disappointment when mixing it.

Not sure about the tempo, I quite like slow and gloomy. Singing is a whole new world for me, just staying anywhere near in tune is hard enough.

Thanks again for listening.

diadem

nrand

• Busker
    • AllSingTogether
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2013, 05:44:08 PM »
I appreciate what you are doing here, and the darkness comes through loud and clear.
It makes me sad.  If we are honest, Christmas is not a cheery time for a lot of folks, so thank you for the courage to write something like this.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2013, 10:36:02 PM »
I appreciate what you are doing here, and the darkness comes through loud and clear.
It makes me sad.  If we are honest, Christmas is not a cheery time for a lot of folks, so thank you for the courage to write something like this.

Thank you nrand, your comments are appreciated.

diadem