Hiding behind Reverb

• 5 Replies

mickeytwonames

• Solo Gig
  • me, my mistress and my dog
« on: March 18, 2014, 02:23:12 PM »
I've never been acclaimed as a great singer but I am a clear one. I've been told I put too much reverb FX on my vocals. I do it to :- cover up, make me more interesting, add depth etc.
Is there any good advice about using vocal FX and or double tracking a vocal take?
Mickeytwonames
Practice like you live forever.
Play like you die tonight,

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 06:22:13 PM »
You generally need less than you think

My own rule of thumb is to add the fx until you start hearing it and then bring it back a touch

It obviously depends on the track and effect you are after

Think of PANNING as "left and right" in the stereo field and REVERB depth - less reverb for near and more for further away

By "hiding behind" reverb you are pushing your vocal further back in the mix, and the reverb could "muddy" the mix

If you are worried about your vocal pitch correction software might be the way to go  ;)
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 07:57:01 PM »
Also try a bit of cut and some compression may help. There are some good vocal strips which do all of the things fx into a single plug-in if you use software. The other thing is to work out what sort of reverb adds to your voice rather than smother it.
Whats your recording set up?
:)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 03:43:58 AM »
I am 100% with Boydie. Add reverb until you can hear it and then back it off a bit. Choosing the right reverb is key to a good sound. Of course this is just a general guide as different sounds will require more or less reverb than this guide offers, but it will be a good place to start.

dnafe

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 03:45:45 PM »
Try adding an 1/8th note delay set to about 20 of the level of you lead vocal track along with your reduced reverb (as discussed above)...you just want to hear the effect when in solo....this helps enhance the vocal track without getting in the way.
As always I reserve the right to be wrong

TMR Productions

TMR Productions on FaceBook

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 09:00:19 PM »
I've never been acclaimed as a great singer but I am a clear one. I've been told I put too much reverb FX on my vocals. I do it to :- cover up, make me more interesting, add depth etc.
Is there any good advice about using vocal FX and or double tracking a vocal take?

Hi Mickey.  I fell in love with Reverb, echoes, etc a few years ago.  THEN... enough people told me I was ruining a perfectly good voice.... so I stopped. 

After that little learning experience, I began noticing how MANY people take a "perfectly good voice" and ruin it with effects.  I'm thinking in particular of Susan Boyle's rendition of Crowded House's song "Don't Dream it's Over".   They took a really good song, and a great voice and ruined the whole thing by needlessly auto-tuning this great voice on the chorus.  I couldn't listen to it.

Your voice is BETTER without effects than with them.  Effects are for people who can't sing, and need to hide that fact.  My advice is to learn to like and accept your voice for what it is.  As Boydie says.... it's ok to use effects.... but at the point you can "hear" them.... tone them down until you cannot. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.