Subconcious Plagiarism

• 2 Replies

theLostLad

• Busker
« on: December 13, 2012, 11:10:10 AM »
I got in from work the other night, picked up the guitar and instantly started singing a melody with some half baked words. It just came from nowhere and was fairly catchy (to me). I'm convinced it must be from another song (verse chords ar just D, G and then a shift to Em) because that sort of spontaneity doesn't happen to me, I usually have to tease the melody out. I still can't place the song though, and I'm not going to ask this forum to identify the song for me because it will be embarrassing when you say 'Yes, well done you've just re-written Hey Jude with 6th form lyrics!', but does anyone else ever suffer from the nagging doubt that an 'original' melody is 'borrowed' ?

I actually carried on regardless and wrote a whole song so I may post the lyrics for review if it turns out I have lifted the melody.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 08:10:25 AM »
If you can't place the melody yourself there is still a very good chance that it actually IS an original melody and it just popped in your head fully formed - this does happen!

I would definitely suggest posting the song

Only lyrics and melody can be plagarised

You are free to "borrow" chord sequences  ;)

Get the song posted and I am sure through the eclectic music tastes on this forum we will be able to spot a "ringer" for you

Even if it is an accidental copy (which I doubt) if you are able to identify the original song all is not lost - you can simply tweak the melody but keep everything else
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

theLostLad

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 10:17:40 AM »
Thanks Boydie, I may post it next week and risk the embarrassment! It's happened to George harrison, Oasis, Jagger/Richards so I'll be in good company...

I have borrowed chords before when I was stuck for a chorus, which is fine as I knew I had to avoid the original melody, and there are  things you can change ie different tempo, shorter bar length, different voicings etc to create a different feel. Plus of course, unless the chords are highly unusual they are unlikely to be truly original in the first place.

Whether this song is original or not, it highlights that the workings of the subconcious mind is intriguing to say the least.