konalavadome

New song - Gets To Me Sometimes

• 20 Replies

RichyRowlatt

• Open Mic
« on: November 09, 2012, 07:50:53 PM »
Hey all,

A bit of variation on the piano but the riff may get a bit repetitive. With the band I start with the riff and then the band come in just before the start of the verse. It proper rocks!

Had the end of a cold when I recorded it so even scratchier than normal.

The subject matter is pretty tragic. I'd rather not go into it on here so take whatever you like from it.

I just thought, it would appear I'm surrounded by tragedy but I'm really not! I'll manage that happy song one day!

Gets To Me Sometimes

Now and then you gotta looka bout,
There's always something to laugh about,

It's not what you're thinking,
So watch what you're saying,
And stop with the preaching,
Cos nobody's listening but you

The system flickers and the screen is grey,
You better leave it for another day,

And take what you;re given,
Then go find your heaven,
But stop with the preaching
Cos no-one needs saving but you

And I can't watch you hitting the ground,
I'm turning around
It just gets to me sometimes
And when the melody's gone,
You take it or leave it,
Cos you've never seen it

You know I've never been a rolling stone,
Another hat in another home,

And you're going crazy,
Cos I'm getting lazy,
For once in a lifetime,
You might wanna change your mind

And I can't watch you hitting the ground
Etc etc

Yeah we got something to talk about,
And it's because of you,
Well I will see you later man,
Cos in my soul,
You know it's true,

And I can't watch you hitting the ground
Etc etc

http://soundcloud.com/rich-rowlatt/sounds-from-tuesday-2/s-DdTES

I really hope you like it and as always very much appreciate any input and comments you may have,

Richy

RichyRowlatt

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 07:56:48 PM »
Meant to say everyone, if you're getting bored let me know and I'll leave off for a couple of weeks!!

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 08:42:53 PM »
Hi Richy,

I think this is the strongest song that you have posted so far.  The intro is very strong and the first two verses set the mood well.  Every time you sing the chorus, the beginning melody reminds me of Happy Together' by The Turtles. For this reason, I'd definitely consider changing the melody that introduces this section.  The melody throughout is mostly, otherwise strong.  However, I do think that the m8 deserves a stronger melody.  

Though I don't know what it means, the lyric that I am drawn to is 'the system flickers and the screen is grey'.  It sounds great in the vocal delivery.    I personally wouldn't rhyme given with heaven.  I'm not saying that it's wrong but I would have searched for two words that rhymed better.  Anyway, we all do things differently, so that's probably just my preference.

I've tried to be constructive in my review so that you have something to consider providing you intend to work further with this song.  There is much to keep the listener interested and one or two tweaks would move this up a few gears, making for a more crafted song!

Overall, a very enjoyable listen!

Thanks for sharing.  :)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 08:44:52 PM by Paul »

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 08:57:02 PM »
As always with your songs, a lovely melody underpinned by a thoughtful chord progression. I particularly liked the chorus. Lyrically, the chorus is catchy but I find the verses a little weaker. They seemed to continue to just give the same message albiet with different words. I would have like to have seen the story unfold as the song progressed, but overall another very good song from you. I really do like your melodies and the way you structure your songs.  Nice change to the piano too.

Allan.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 08:57:46 PM »
This sounds familiar but apart from the first line of "Happy Together" by The Turtles I think it's original. I really liked your last song and I like this one as well. I guess your style just sits well on my ears. Some of the lyrics are a bit wooly as if you've used words just because they rhyme rather than to develop the song but it's only occasional. You certainly have gift for melody and a great pop voice.

It sounds like highly commercial material to me.

Kudos to you.

RichyRowlatt

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 09:12:22 PM »
As always, thanks very much for your comments guys. It's great to hear the good and the bad and I really feel I'm learning through this medium.

Thanks for the Turtles reference, I knew I'd heard it somewhere before and I've already got it changed in my head. 2 very different songs with hugely different feels, yet that line is undeniably a piece of cmpletely unintentional plagiarism!

Lyrically I'm sensing I'm somewhat marmite! I think I need to spend more time than I do currently with my lyrics. As I've said before I start with a particular subject matter and they come rushing - with a bit more time and attention I hope I can make a difference to them.

Paul, 'The system flickers and the screen is grey' is really a comparison between a technological meltdown and the end of a life, if that makes any sense. I dob't want to get too drawn on this as I've mentioned before, but I hope that goes some way to explaining?

Monty, I often get that ;haven't I heard this before' thing, and I always take it as a compliment. I think it's possibly the simple chord progressions and hopefully hooky lyrics.

Thanks again all of you, I owe you all a review and shall get one done this weekend,

Peace and love,

Richy

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 09:12:44 PM »
great piano riff
kinda gilbert osullivan'ish in the almost playful lyric - name checking or hinting at
You know I've never been a rolling stone,
Another hat in another home,

makes the lyric fun as well as working

you sing great and i do like the live room sound, might be lo fi no fi but its like your sitting in the common room at uni or the job centre in my case, and just playing in the corner..
i did think the bridge thing slowed it down but then i thought with a band that would sound more dynamic, just you and joanna tho needs something extra at that point.
but very nice mate and no dont go away, i think your ok for a while yet..

and pauls spot on with the turtles happy together..call it a challenge

i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

RichyRowlatt

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 09:21:07 PM »
Cheers Nooms,

Yeah, I really liked that lyric and it said a lot in relation to the subject too.

I'll get the live version on asap. Best record it first. The band really do it justice.

Thanks again mate and I'm glad you enjoyrd it,

Richy

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 11:33:22 AM »
Thanks for the explanation of tha particular lyric Richy.  That's the kind of writing that I really admire! An excellent lyric :)

Kafla

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 10:41:36 AM »
I like this a lot Richy - rich and melancholic with a big hooky chorus - great lyrics  ;D

It's has that point in the chorus where it sounds like ' happy together ' but that's an excellent reference - I love to do that in my songs

It's the best song you have posted but in my mind it crying out to be played on the guitar - seriously I bet it really lifts it - it's a rhythmic song

I hope you realise how much potential this has - you should beg a producer on here to work an arrangement for you on this one

Well done mate ;)

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 03:42:49 PM »
 it sounds like my uncle stan playing his old piano in the little terrace house next door coming thu the wall into ours ...all it needs is my dad banging on the wall shouting abuse & it would be uncanny

actually im not going to comment till you put up a band version becos last time you did that it just transformed the song & i felt my original comments was all wrong
but it does sound very catchy i could hear it done by the kaiser chiefs
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Michael

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 09:12:14 PM »
This sounds very promising, would love to hear a full band version of it some time.

I'm loving the vocal melody, in pretty much all the parts of the song (well, the others have already mentioneed the Happy Together line...)
I think you've got a real talent for coming up with nice and catchy melodies ! The whole piece sounds very hooky, for me this is the best song of yours I've listened to by now.

Piano playing sounds good, too. (Haven't you stated before that you can't properly play the piano? What happened to that ?  ;D )

Anyway, great job ! The songwriting is strong in this one  ;)

RichyRowlatt

• Open Mic
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 06:06:34 PM »
Thanks Kaf, high praise indeed. The problem I have is where to take things production wise. I find it so much easier when I've got the band around me and we can jam loads of ideas over a short time until something comes together. I've not explored this way of doing things before and if I'm honest I'm feeling a little bit lost as to where to go with it. Have you any suggestions?

Tina, you really are a legend. Stan, my kind of man. So was he an inspiration to you? I'll try and record something band wise over the next week or so and you can tell me what you think of it then.

Michael, I'm chuffed you like it. I have two ways that I write. I'll either mess about on the piano and occasionally come up with a riff that starts the song off, or I'll get a melody line going over some simple chords and it'll progress from there. I knew this riff was pretty cool, but if I've written the second way I find it very hard to then come up with a variation to the basic chord progression. If that makes a blind bit of sense!! ;D

Thanks all (and Tina  ;)) for the very encouraging comments,

Richy

BeadyRoller

• Busker
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 08:28:46 PM »
I really enjoyed this, you've definitely got an ear for a good melody. The chorus is catchy, and sticks with you which is exactly what you want from a chorus. Vocals I thought were strong throughout, nice work man, top stuff!

Dutchbeat

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 01:26:04 PM »
Neat songwriting! Sounds very good to me

very clear melody, cathcy

this choruses are screaming for more production / instrumentation, i blieve that is not really the part you are very interested in, but this song could handle a very BIG production easily

but the song is already crispy clear in the production as it is