konalavadome

Great fun - Hearing range and audio trick...

• 17 Replies

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« on: September 24, 2013, 07:22:44 PM »
So, this is great geeky fun

Grab your favourite, bestest headphones and put them in your computer/laptop/tablet at a comfortable listening level and go here:

http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

At the top are two range tests, for headphone testing. They test the low and high freq bands your headphones can play. But, of course, this also applies to your hearing!

I can hear from 10hz to 18K. This is not bad for nearly 30years old! Clearly acoustic music has its benefits!

Once you have done this, scroll down to the "Binaural Recording" section. Don't read the info. Just hit play! This is what I did, and....well....

Enjoy!  :o

www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 08:23:54 PM »
Interesting stuff JW

Through my KRK KNS-8400s directly connected to my audio interface I can hear the bass kick in at around 15Hz

Interestingly, when I use my VRM (speaker simulator box of tricks) the bass starts at around 30Hz and there is a definite drop in volume of the tone at 120Hz-130Hz, I guess this is part of the modelling of the speaker and environment?

On the highs I am at around 16k directly connected - and around the same using the VRM box

The Binaural test!  ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D

I can put the baseball bat down now!

I also scared my wide half to death by shouting "who is that!?!?!"

I guess my cans also get the thumbs up!  ;)
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 08:46:37 PM »
Hehe. I also went into defence mode. Arms shoulders tensed like hell!

My audio technicas ATH ad900s are rattling between 10 and 60 hz. Only in one can. Boo! Need a repair and I bought them on import so AT might not honour the uk two year warranty

That is why I found this site. Great resource for checking new and old cans for flaws :-)

Regardless. I have also bough a pair of Beyer DT 880 Pros. They rock. Flat as a lady boys chest!

(Just coined that. I like it. No offence to any lady boys reading!)  ;D

A little "warm" on the ears. I may have to adjust
 8)

Twitter @JamesNighthawk

NicBDA

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 04:50:07 PM »
On a pair of SkullCandy Aviators (not studio headphones really, but seemingly decent ones) I had a range of about 20Hz (sure I could hear it a little before) to 17kHz in a not so quiet office... Got down to 48dBFS for dynamics. Will have to keep my earplugs for practice and gigs (probably get some spare sets too)  :)

The binaural test was weird, got my pulse going a bit (since I followed your directions and didn't read it first :) )
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 04:56:14 PM by NicBDA »

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 03:56:58 AM »
Thanks for the heads up James, I gotta try this  ;D

Allan

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 06:57:27 PM »
Well, i'm totally lost.

Depending how loud i turned up the sound in the headphones altered when and what i could hear.
At ordinary volume, I could hear the voice to 60db, the low rumble start just before 20hz and the high noise around 14khz.
The louder i turned up the volume i could hear earlier on the freq tests, and later on the dB test.
So how do you know which is right?

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 07:08:25 PM »
Well, i'm totally lost.

Depending how loud i turned up the sound in the headphones altered when and what i could hear.
At ordinary volume, I could hear the voice to 60db, the low rumble start just before 20hz and the high noise around 14khz.
The louder i turned up the volume i could hear earlier on the freq tests, and later on the dB test.
So how do you know which is right?

Some of this depends on your headphones

If they arent relaying the lows and highs unless turned off, they are likely not the flattest response headphones, or have some other non linear characteristics.

The dynamic range is agan down to your headphones.

It is a cool site :)
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 08:44:23 PM »
I'm using Beyerdynamic DT150. I find them warm on the ears too.

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 11:21:32 PM »
I'm using Beyerdynamic DT150. I find them warm on the ears too.

I have a pair of those.

I use them for tracking. Great isolation and clarity in the mids, which is what performers need.

They are sod all good for checking mixes tho, boxey and coloured. Deffo a great can for their use!
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 08:27:27 AM »
10-15 ... Hmmm well, I am getting on a bit but my mind is still sharp as a razor.

Couldn't complete the Binaural test though as there was someone at the door
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 11:19:03 AM »
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

That last comment is VERY funny!!!!

Probably the ultimate "in joke"
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 07:54:44 PM »
I'm in the 15hz - 14khz range.

Although I've got tinnitus from years of ear numbing gigs. I've also been guilty of many rehearsals at more than gig volume. Also - bloody drummers.... I could go on but anyone who's gigged or been in a band will totally understand I think.

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 11:43:23 AM »

Although I've got tinnitus from years of ear numbing gigs. I've also been guilty of many rehearsals at more than gig volume. Also - bloody drummers.... I could go on but anyone who's gigged or been in a band will totally understand I think.

plus one to that! - we've had one that couldn't keep time, one fixed at 97 db and one that never showed up... just got another one so - 4th time lucky I hope.
GTB
GTB

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 11:49:08 AM »

plus one to that! - we've had one that couldn't keep time, one fixed at 97 db and one that never showed up... just got another one so - 4th time lucky I hope.
GTB

He'll probably be the one that explodes...

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 12:22:34 PM »
I'm laughing at the drummer comments ;D. I've had 5 drummers in 3 years and 3 this year. What is it about drummers? From lack of commitment to prima donna to thrashing the drums to trying to get the World's fastest fill in the shortest time available (guaranteed to throw the rest of the band), to God knows what?
A necessary evil ;D ;D
Cheers

Jamie