i'd love you singing one of my lyrics
           maybe one day eh

the music was very easy to me i just got lost in the story
           for me a great job on this track, LOOKING FORWARD TO MORE FROM YOU

tony...

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 05:09:50 PM »
As a Beatle's fan do you think Run For Your Life is one of their better songs or a bit of an embarrassment? I feel it shows why both words and music usually make a song. Peace to all, except Cynthia it says.

Michelle is a great tune with next to no lyrical content, just I love Michelle. Anything other then a love song would have come into conflict with the melody in my view.

The problem about your lyrics, for me, is we (the listener) don't know enough to agree that your friend's ex deserves to be called selfish. You have provided no reason for the break up or whose fault it was, or even why she should consider the feelings of her ex, other than he's your friend. This may sound a bit harsh but if you are writing for the song to be heard by strangers you need to consider the song from their viewpoint and how they'd hear it.

The break up of a relationship is always difficult which is why there are so few songs about it. Most songs are written/sung from the point of view of one of the parties to the break up. Most of them seem to be country songs for some reason.

The most famous song about a break up sang by a third party is Hey Jude. Its addressed to Julian and basically says, chin up son, things will get better. Even then John thought it was about his impending divorce from Paul. Which just goes to show how one person's words can mean different things to different people, even people who are close. The song didn't require the listener to take sides with either John or Cynthia. Most people, including a younger me, didn't realise what it was about until many years later.

Finally, some of your lines I really like, including the coaster line, its just the judgement on your friend's ex I find difficult to accept. As its the chorus it is an a major obstacle to me liking the song overall rather than just the music and some of the words.

Hope this makes sense,

Keith

stavcoby

• Busker
    • Reflection & the misplaced variety act
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 06:05:33 PM »
Benjo - wow thank you for your kind words, I consider myself to be very far off a vocalist I just sing my tunes the way I hear em so thank you.

Diademgrove - cheers again, listen man I value everyone's input that's exactly why I m loving this forum :) run for your life - was an album filler with a catchy hook but soom serious vicious undertones that Lennon could do really well," I'd rather see you dead!! " Wow when the Beatles claimed it was all love and peace ...
This was literally a threat haha good groove though

Hey Jude - man anyone who doesn't know the story will instantly assume it's Jude who's lost the girl, it evens says "go out and get her" Paul obviously used the Julian situation as a starting point but there's no doubt he started leaning towards a song about a lost love rather than, don't be sad your parents are breaking up "let her into your heart, then you can start to mKe it better" well Julian had no quarrel with his mum, is Paul telling him to let yoko in? Ha ha can't see it.  Beatles had a lot of throw away lyrics made brilliant by their musical genius.  To me, Everything they did was gold.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 10:50:41 PM »
Hi stavcoby,

my view of Run for your Life is coloured by what allegedly happened when Cynthia danced with Stuart Sutcliffe. You pays your money and makes your choice.

Hey Jude is an example of Paul making a song about Julian more universal by suggesting its about unrequited love. He knew a song about Julian would sell a massive number of copies.

Using this as an example for your lyrics you may end up with

Someone told me they'd seen you together.....
Neither one of you stopped to think about my shame

Please stop thinking about yourself etc.

The please makes it come across as a request rather than an order.

The next verse introduces the son and reinforces the pain the singer is feeling from the song. It also makes the request seem a little more reasonable. The ex should consider the feelings of the son as well.

I thought the third verse was the weakest of the three but I have limited experience of social media. You could skip it and explain why the singer is making the request.

Maybe food for thought,

Keith

stavcoby

• Busker
    • Reflection & the misplaced variety act
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 08:06:29 AM »
Oh Cool never heard the stu and Cynthia story, I know John got the idea from a song Elvis covered called "baby,let's play" which had the line" I'd rather see you dead little girl than to be with another man ".

he totally lifted the whole line and built a song around it. :)