10 things she said

• 19 Replies

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« on: December 04, 2011, 12:33:04 PM »
This is a song I wrote and recorded about 6 weeks ago. I've been writing some fairly dark songs lately.  It's one of my newer compositions.  I hope that you you enjoy listening.

Thanks!

http://www.musicxray.com/xrays/390500

10 things she said

“10 things “ she said “you should do before you die.
My time is spent.  Soon my love, I’ll fly.
There’s a world out there, it’s waiting to be found.”
She briefly sighed ‘til silence made no sound.

Don’t ever fear the worst.
Let living unfold.
When daylight has almost gone.
When you are old,

have no regrets,
no regrets.

“10 things” she said “to sleep upon, you might.
Our time is brief, we’re shadows in the night.
There’s a world out there, it’s waiting to be found.”
She briefly sighed ‘til silence made no sound.

Don’t ever fear the worst.
Let living unfold.
When daylight has almost gone.
When you are old,

have no regrets.
no regrets.

Should you ever feel abandoned,
no religion, no recourse.
Even though you may be hurting,
Hold no candle for remorse.

Have no regrets,
no regrets.”

http://www.musicxray.com/xrays/390500

pmarino

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 12:47:54 PM »
Cool sound... Wasn't sure if it was going to work from me off the top, but it grew on me. Your voice is reminiscent of the singer from 'I Am Kloot' (at least to me!). It lost pace for me at:

"Should you ever feel abandoned,
no religion, no recourse.
Even though you may be hurting,
Hold no candle for remorse."

That's where I'd focus, but that's just my opinion!

Paul

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 12:52:28 PM »
Thank you for your thoughts.

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 02:36:10 PM »
this is tremendous pablo i love the way all the instruments you use mesh together to make such a wonderfuly full sound
its a realy classy song with a touch of the paddy mcaloon i thought & he wrote some of the best songs ive ever heard
have to agree with pmarino about that last bit the song seemed to lose its way there
that electric guitar was realy distorted i felt it was a bit to much
i can see why i said english wasnt  your first language you have a realy unusual  voice  its very distinct  the more i hear it the more i like it
brilliant work!
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

jim morrison

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 09:58:43 PM »
This is amazing Pablo, the best i've heard from you, production wise faultless ,enjoyed listening ;)
Learner guitarist

TunSongs

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 10:15:46 PM »
This song drew me in from the introduction.
As the others have said, the production is of a professional standard.

Is English really not your first language like Tinam said?
If it isn't then you've done really well to write these lyrics in a second language.
Or may be she's just commenting on your accent.

Justin

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 11:18:00 PM »
hi pablo
great song, interesting  & changeable, emotional weather forecast..
like the whisper and then the turn into the chorus,  real intent.
the arrangmnt keeps moving on....

The track ‘crunched’ a few times though, on my hi fi anyway, hit the ceiling, noticeable over the intro and i thought the stab keys were a bit harsh bit glassy ? .and id think about the snare...

its a goodie though, no mistake.
your reputation is well justified..

nooms
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 12:40:35 AM »
As usual mate the mixing and production is Very good although I agree about the snare.
I did like the distorted guitar though and for me it doesn't need anything doing to it.
I listen through headphones though so everyone will hear it differently.
You must have a massive catalogue of songs now. I'm envious that you finish them. lol

Another good one :)
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

stephaniedema

• Solo Gig
    • Sienna Little on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 07:24:00 AM »
I take my hat off for your production skills, mate!
Great song. Though I agree with the others on the last verse-thingie. Seems to lose a bit energy there.
Guitar sounded good for me. Liked the distorted sound. The snare didn't really bother me either TBH.
Your songs are keeping a pretty high standard. Keep it up!

Greetings
SD
Like a little spider I'm climbing the insurmountable. But I never hold myself accountable. - KT Tunstall

https://www.facebook.com/siennalittlemusic
https://twitter.com/SiennaLittle
http://www.reverbnation.com/siennalittle

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 08:48:44 PM »
This has the makings of a "Bond" theme tune!  :o

Excellent work.  ;D
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 09:21:07 AM »
Hi Pablo,

This is an excellent song, I love the feel of it, my favourite of yours yet.  That chorusy harmony sound that comes in at the bridge  - I really like it is it layered vocals?

Flossie

rodders133

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 09:50:40 AM »
Hi,  I second what Mikay said.  I certainly got that James Bond feel from it.  I like it , good song, and if English aint your first language you would never have guessed.

Kafla

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 11:28:54 AM »
Execellent Paul,

You create a great atmosphere in your songs and have little bleeps and guitar notes in the background that you pick up after multiple listens

I really like the little outro section - should you ever feel abandoned - although there is a little note out in your melody that just throws the line out - but it's a great twist in the song

And the lyrics are very well thought out

You are some musician  :D

Dutchbeat

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 04:13:48 PM »
Great song! a top production from Vasey & Vanity again

the tension building in that bridge before "have no regrets" gives it full hit song potential

Paul

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 08:36:56 PM »
Please accept my apologies for the long post.  I didn't expect so many replies and haven't had time to respond to everyone who took the time to review this song.

Hi pmarino,

I haven’t heard of ‘I am Kloot’so I’ll have to check them out.  I’m a bit of a musical hermit regarding listening to new music.  Thanks for your comments about this song.  The m8 is my favourite part of this song, especially the lyrics.  I don’t feel that the song loses it’s direction, rather offers something new and contrasting. As always, I take on board all ideas and acarry them forward to my next project.

Thanks

Hi tinam,

Thanks for your review which is greatly appreciated.  What would it take for you to forgive the comments of a younger man and reinstate one or two of Mr McAloon’s albums into your collection?  I feel that his music has so enriched my life.

I tried several different settings for the distorted guitar on this recording (more and less distortion.) I settled with the setting on this recording and thought that it complimented the song better than others.  I suppose it’s down to personal preference.  Perhaps another producer would not include any overdriven guitars.  I’ve always been a reluctant singer, only tackling that job when I can’t find time to get together with Peter from The Vanity Rules.  I’m pleased that you enjoyed this one!

Jim,

It’s always great to hear from you and I thank you sincerely for your review of this song

Hi Tun Songs,

thanks for reviewing this song,

I’ve written songs for so many years now.  I never really thought of myself as a producer but have gained some really positive comments lately.  The songs that I produced for Kafla represented my first excursion into the world of producing for others.  This was an enjoyable experience and I will from time to time tackle others.  I think sometimes, we develop other skills (like producing) when we are engrossed in other activities that we are passionate about (songwriting).  Anyway it’s lovely to be noticed for the production aspect.  

English is definitely my first language.  I was born in the North of England and haven’t strayed far since!  Thanks for your review.

Hi nooms,

Thanks for your review.  I’m pleased that you enjoyed listening to ’10 things.’  I think that the arrangement is fairly complicated.  Something I like to do to engage the listener and hopefully keep their interest from start to finish. There isn’t any clipping in the song, I was meticulous about the levels throughout the recording process.  I should listen to my mixes on a number of different systems and am guilty of listening on my own only.  I have a very good set of Harmon Kardon speakers for monitoring and the track comes through crystal clear on them.  Perhaps, it is different on other systems.  The guitar is overdriven by choice and may account for the crunch that you hear.  I’m not sure how to identify the stab keys as I didn’t include any.  There’s an organ in there playing chords and strings too but  mostly legato style. I’m delighted that you enjoyed this song.  Like everyone else on the forum, I simply enjoy writing music.

Thanks Schavuitje,

I’m pleased that you enjoyed both the song and the production.  Yes, I do have many songs now (approximately 30 years of writing.)  I’m certain that I’ll never get around to recording them all but that means that when I do record, I’m able to pull something out of the bag that I wrote a long time ago.  This serves me well during the times when I’m struggling with new ideas.  Thanks again.

Hi Stephaniedema,

Thanks for listening to 10 things, your praise of the production and song.  Many songwriters address issues to do with preferences in the production//engineering in their reviews, (myself included.)  I think it’s hard not to these days as most of us have access to decent recording facilities.  I’m pleased that you enjoyed this song as I consider my main strength to be in writing and it’s is therefore pleasing to hear that I’m on the right track there.  Thanks!

Hi Mihkay,

So far, I’ve written two Bond songs, ‘Sillhouette’ and ‘Devil May Care”  (Unfortunately uncomissioned  >:()  It can be tremendous fun having a go and if you haven’t done so, I would urge you to try.  I wrote ‘Silhouette as I lost the copyright on the first Bond song ‘Devil May Care.’  Which was written for a competition to find a theme tune for a new Bond novel of the same name. The competition was ran by Penguin Publishers who   persuaded many writers to submit there work and in doing so, forego their copyright.  I suppose, they now own a huge catalogue of music which they could if they wanted to, chop up into sections and use to advertise anything from washing up powder to dog food.  Well, you live and learn.  Thanks for your review.

Hi Flossie,  

This is one of my most recent songs.  There’s a  three part harmony in the bridge that I sang.  That style of harmony has featured heavily in three or four of my new songs.  I love to layer harmonies in this way  but it is tempting to do it every time.   :) Thanks for reviewing this song.

Thank you Rodders, Andy and Dutchbeat.

Andy, I'm delighted that you enjoyed the m8 section as it is my favourite part and I really like the contrast that it offers.

Dutchbeat, thank you so much.  Though I play a version of this song with the members of The Vanity Rules, they don't feature at all on this version which is strictly my own studio interpretation.  

Once again, apologies for the long post.  I must try to respond to reviews a little quicker so that they don't mount up so much.  Thanks, Paul.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 09:29:53 PM by pablo »