Need some help with lead guitar parts

• 8 Replies

Lewisg123

• Busker
« on: April 14, 2012, 04:36:29 PM »
I find it difficult quite often to write lead guitar part for my songs because I can't really imagine the sound properly without having the chords behind it, but I don't really have any good recording equipment, any suggestions, thanks.

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 07:37:50 PM »
Quite confused by this, as I don't really see what kind of help you need. If you just need to hear the chords you've written to write a part then surely an old cassette recorder from a car boot sale for about two quid will do the job.
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 07:56:30 PM »
In fact, buy two and build up a multitrack recording by recording on one and playing along as you record on the other - then repeat. That's how my early recordings were done ...

TO

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 04:56:57 PM »
I agree with estreet. I record most of my ideas with my webcam if I've just got my laptop in hand, and have in the past recorded a rhythm part and then played a lead over that. Quick and easy if you have a laptop or computer with a webcam, and then can plug into some speakers to get the sound louder! I guess you could do the same with a phone or something similar with a voice recording feature ;)

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 05:34:51 AM »
In fact, buy two and build up a multitrack recording by recording on one and playing along as you record on the other - then repeat. That's how my early recordings were done ...

Lol grandad.....just get Reaper; cheaper, infinitely easier than trying to synch up different recorders and unlimited tracks

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 09:55:29 AM »

Lol grandad.....just get Reaper; cheaper, infinitely easier than trying to synch up different recorders and unlimited tracks

Bloody Cheek! lol. In your enthusiasm to mock my age, you completely miss my point Ramshackles. Of course it is better to use Reaper or even better, Garageband - but I'm working on the assumption that when he says he has no access to recording facilities he maybe has no computer of his own. I believe many of you young people use the computers in educational establishments for forums etc? The crux of my point, is that these days, if you really want to record and you are driven to it you can do it for less than the price of a packet of fags and there's not really any excuse for not having a go. Anyway, if you use two tape recorders you don't need to synch them up beyond putting one in record as you press play on the other.

Anyway, must go and prepare the wax cylinder for my next recording...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:20:28 AM by estreet »

ras52

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 03:31:54 PM »

Wax cylinder?  Flash git.  What's wrong with tin foil?

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 05:02:33 PM »

Wax cylinder?  Flash git.  What's wrong with tin foil?

In my day, we were so poor all we could do to record our songs was to teach the canary to whistle it.

ras52

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 07:21:37 PM »
Actually, since the OP was asked about "lead" guitar, then "tin" may be an appropriate medium!

...I'll get me coat.