Genrelisation

• 6 Replies

Oli Dickinson

• Busker
« on: June 14, 2013, 01:18:49 PM »
In a previous manifestation as a singer/songwriter, I would be asked by strangers in social situations what "genre" of music I made.
It's a toughie.

I could usually only answer by giving sound-a-like examples, which in turn did not seem to embody any genre outside "singer/songwriter". But that really isn't sufficiently specific.

Nowadays I've changed my style and can answer the question more easily.
But how do you classify what you write?

Do you typify a genre? Do you straddle styles?
How would you answer that question about your own music?

This is the time for metaphor.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 01:43:34 PM »
I listen to all sorts of music...and so write all sorts of lyrics(and some melodies).. :) so i don`t pigeon hole myself...maybe popular is enough of a generic term to cover it all??

Stephen Palmer

• Open Mic
  • Music for music's sake
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 02:38:39 PM »
I've travelled through so many genres I've lost count. I think though that it does help sometimes to give a song a genre - just helps in some discussions - but only for convenience.

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 07:24:17 PM »
I've only ever written pop or pop-country, but I listen to a widish variety of music, I just find it easier to be inspired by pop. I'd love to be able to write like Lana Del Rey- that genre (iTunes classes it as indie rock?!) is amazing!
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

Oli Dickinson

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 07:36:59 AM »
I'd love to be able to write like Lana Del Rey- that genre (iTunes classes it as indie rock?!) is amazing!

I once heard Lana Del Ray described as "Hollywood Sadcore". I thought that was a great. And it goes to show that we can invent our own genres.

Oli x
This is the time for metaphor.

BooBoo

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 07:28:11 PM »
I used to write a lot more 'poppier' songs and I still do but I think I've slowly started writing more country music. I think I get my influence from the music I listen to. It tends to be mainly country, pop-rock, rock. Not a completely wide range haha
VOTE FOR JUNE LOTM!!!!!!!

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 10:19:50 PM »
I am strictly eclectic :P