Favourite lyrics?

• 27 Replies

misswhiterabbit

• Open Mic
« on: September 10, 2011, 10:40:00 AM »
I can't be the only one here that finds lyric writing really tricky! Mostly it's a real struggle for me and when lyrics do come too me it's only when I'm distracted doing something completely different. Usually when there isn't a pen to hand!  :D

I thought it would be fun if we could all share a favourite verse or chorus that we have written. A lyric that we are really proud of so that maybe it can help inspire the forum when we're struggling for ideas.

I have no god and no religion my faiths in life and how I live it, I've got faith in you and me.
I find my love in hidden places, it stems from soil and hides in faces.
It seeps through walls and stains the paper, fills the sky and forms a crater.
It bites my tongue when I least expect it, but I'd bite it back just to protect it,
I'll bite my tongue.

Perhaps I'll use this in a song one day but for now its on the drawing board!

Alice

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 11:39:14 AM »
This is a great post Alice. 

Most of my lyrics  are based on personal experience and I write about my experiences often.  Sometimes I'm brutally honest about my feelings and at other times I feel a little uncomfortable about revealing everything. I often disguise my feelings, using stories to communicate my ideas using metaphors  which can be interpreted in different ways.  The reason why I find it harder to write lyrics is because I try not to say the same things from one song to the next. This can be difficult when you do the same things from one week to the next. I think it helps writers, if they are able to visit new places, read and discover new things, listen to new music, anything that enhances our experience so that we have something to say or report back on in a song if that's what we choose to do.  That's what I think anyway!   I don't have a favourite lyric.  I try to maintain a certain standard at all times. 

I think that the lyrics that you've posted are very good.  Mainly because as I read them, I relate to what you are saying.  'It seeps through the walls and stains the paper' reads so well taken in the context of the verse.  An excellent lyric.

Thinking about the many lyrics that I have written, I started to remember a song that I wrote for my wife before our two children were born.  As stated above, I sometimes feel uncomfortable about revealing the details behind my songs and this is one such occasion. However, this song marks a particular period in our lives  and communicates the feelings that accompanied our experience so well.

The sadness that surrounds us is a measure of our love,
a compliment to all that we hold dear.
The weeping eyes of Venus
are waking up the ancient Roman Gods until we start again.

Until We Start Again - Paul Vasey

misswhiterabbit

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 03:20:58 PM »
oh wow! You've put me to shame with those lyrics! It's quite brave to venture in to such personal territory. I tend to keep my lyrics fairly light but I think it depends on what your experiencing at the time.

Kafla

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 05:56:18 PM »
Brilliant post

I love your verse White Rabbit, you ooze intrigue in everything you do.  I really don't think you realise how good you are  ;)

Paul - really what I have come to expect from you.

I tend to write quite hooky mainstream songs but like to throw a few curveballs in.

I wrote this song when I was around 18-19 about a good friend who committed suicide http://soundcloud.com/andrewcruse/live-again

My favourite verse

All my life I will miss you
All my days I'll live for you
These echoes piercing my armour
Make the truth even harder
To carry on now without you
After all that we've been through
But in this life I can't reach you
If you let me live again

Mr.Chainsaw

• Solo Gig
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 08:44:05 PM »
I know what you mean about getting a flash of inspiration without a pen and paper. My advise; don't be!

I bought a Moleskin notebook about the size of my palm which I keep on me at all times, even at work (the front half is lyrics, the back recipes and dish ideas). That way whenever a random idea or lyrics falls into my head I can just pop it down there and then.

Here's a few straight from my book

"Thought I was walking into walls, guess the learning curves too steep"

"Winter came early every year for her,
Darkening skies never getting clearer"

"I've been dreaming none stop, since I taught myself to sleep"

"There's a bitter strength in independance,
A taste I can no longer stand"

Thinking about it that last one might be in the dish ideas section...

Kaf, love those lyrics. The last line is really powerful to me. Good stuff :)

Peter
Everything is easier said than done.

Except talking.

That's about the same.

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 04:03:49 AM »
I don't care
If I can make it to the moon
Because I don't want to try

It's my own commentary on how so much of what I do has been dictated by what parents/teachers etc have expected me to do and be good at. I've finally come to realise that I actually hate science even though I've been pressured into doing well and working hard at it because I used to have a knack for the subject. Same with maths. People are stupid.
Defective Elector

victoriasmalley82

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 12:09:59 PM »

I see no flaws in you
your just like a rose
in a battlefield
youd find a way to grow

Kafla

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 12:57:22 PM »
Mr Chainsaw - these are good. I am looking forward to hearing your songs. You have a great way with words, infact I could imagine you writing good short stories.

Nice as well Corsair, we all felt like you did at your age. Unfortunately when you get older you wish you had have stuck in academically, not sure what advice that gives to you  ??? I have completed 2 degrees since leaving school and it would have been easier to just get my act in gear at 18-19 - but I had a lot of fun ;D

Victoria - I really like this lyric. Rose in a battlefield is good, battlefields always evoke memories of the great war for me , or older wars since they are all fought "digitally" now  ;) Its a great few lines!

victoriasmalley82

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 01:03:09 PM »
thanks so much... i was trying to describe how perfect and determined someone was without saying the obvious.

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 04:54:16 PM »
Kafla,

Thanks for sharing such personal lyrics.  They are very well written. 

Corsair,

'I enjoyed the lyrics 'I don't care if I don't make it to the moon.' I didn't have any parental pressure to study, however, my poor academic background weighed heavy on my shoulders until I completed an Open University degree which I combined with work commitments.  That was hard! 

Mr. Chainsaw,

My favourite lyrics of yours are "Winter came early every year for her,
Darkening skies never getting clearer."

Hi Victoria,

You've written a very good verse there.   It suggests to me, that you don't need to worry that someone will find their way in life without guidance, as you know that they are strong.

Paul

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 06:06:25 PM »
Nice thread this! And some great little lyrical samples. It's so hard to dream up even a verse of really great lyrics, let alone a whole song. I don't know how some writers do it song after song (*cough* Tom Waits, Paul Simon, Joni Mitchell)

Anyway, here's a favourite lyric of mine from my song Pilgrim. I can't say it's the favourite. I can't bring myself to have a single favourite of anything. It's just not in my nature (don't tell my wife! :o )

A salty mist prevails over godless trails
the winter dries my skin to cracks
the weight of sin upon my back
is the devil's wage

The sadness that surrounds us is a measure of our love

and
I don't care if I can't make it to the moon
These are my two favourite lines from this thread so far - great stuff.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Mr.Chainsaw

• Solo Gig
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 07:22:29 PM »
thanks so much... i was trying to describe how perfect and determined someone was without saying the obvious.

Ever wonder why roses have thorns? It's not like they have any fruit or anything to protect. It's almost like they're trying to keep everyone at a distance...?

Thorn bushes were also used for defence in wars, back before they could make barbed wire.

Thanks Kaf. Means alot :) Must admit I'm pretty shy about showing anyone anything. That's kinda why I joined.

So thanks!

"A salty mist prevails over godless trails" <--- gorgeous image, tone, and the double rhyme is a real attention grabber
Everything is easier said than done.

Except talking.

That's about the same.

shucky2011

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 06:27:32 PM »
I recently came up with this verse which i was quite proud of.

I never seem to sleep at night
When the moon is hung in sweet delight
And the trees they swoon in a darkened wind
And the stars they seem to suck me in

MinuteSekunde

• Busker
  • https://soundcloud.com/manhattanfromthesky
    • https://soundcloud.com/manhattanfromthesky
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 11:16:30 PM »
I just wrote this chorus earlier this evening, and i've written it for my sister who's not feeling well and is a bit down from feeling ill, so i've kind of written it from the perspective of the "light of the end of the tunnel" ...

I personally liked it because it made me feel a little warm when I re-read it back to myself ...   :D

"So leave that fear and take it slow
Find that path you need to go
Take another chance
Take that second glance
And fear me not, fear me not
So leave your tears and dry your soul
Tell your own heart to fix these holes
Tell yourself you're fine
And follow all the signs
And fear me not, fear me not. "

misswhiterabbit

• Open Mic
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 01:25:48 PM »
Wow what a great response! So many beautiful lyrics. I feel really inspired to start writing again  ;D

Thought I was walking into walls, guess the learning curves too steep

I've been dreaming none stop, since I taught myself to sleep

And the stars they seem to suck me in

These echoes piercing my armour Make the truth even harder

The sadness that surrounds us is a measure of our love

A salty mist prevails over godless trails

Your just like a rose in a battlefield

These are my favourite lines, so much talent on this board!