That girl - collab with Grimbo

• 22 Replies

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« on: April 13, 2014, 10:37:26 PM »
So here's a bit of fun done with an attempt at mid 60's flavoured r'n'b. Words from the imagination or otherwise of Robin Grimmond.
https://soundcloud.com/neilconnor-2/that-girl-master-26-april-2013
Hope you like it and look forward to your feedback
 :)
Neil 
songwriter of no repute..

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 12:06:36 AM »
I want more harmonica! I know you can play really well, Neil so I'm really wanting you to let rip with the harp. The guitar break at 2:07 is lovely - very Dave Davies and I loved the part after that with the harmonica which was played really well. Also loved the guitar work that ended the song. You really have a talent for playing exactly what is required be it guitar or harp - a real musical sympathy. If I was to assemble a band of all the best players on the forum, you would be the band leader and musical director.

Lovely recording played many times.....

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 05:37:59 PM »
Hi Neil,

Not the most original lyrics but they're well delivered. The music is great. I love the harmonica too. As Montydog wrote, there is no overplaying - just the right thing in the right places. Nice guitar tones through out, and the usual quality mix. It's hard to pick fault.

But why wait a year to post?

Digger

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 06:29:51 PM »

hey guys

loved the music on this monty is right you are one of the best music makers on here
 good strong story with a killer twist at the end I couldn't stop laughing
 Bernard ha ha ha

I also like the way you mumbled a few words of disbelief as well
 really enjoyed the whole song good work on this guys

BERNARD,  HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA GOOD STUFF

JonnyD

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 06:34:32 PM »
That harmonica worked so well... There isn't enough harmonica in the world

The guitar work was also very good - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ASK FOR BERNARD

Loved this - especially the outro
Was a snowman in a past life

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 11:10:02 PM »
Alan, thanks for the kind words, I'd love to be your virtual musical band leader! I'm not sure there's much more harp in the holding bay but you never know when inspiration will strike..
Digger, re risk of overplaying I've always liked the tunes from Beatles onward so if I think about it its songwriter first, arranger second and then player.. And why a year cos I can't stop writing and with the 2 week rule I permanently have a sizeable backlog..
Benjo, glad you enjoyed the humour life is short ;D
RockingSnowman, thanks for comments on guitar and harp, yeah the outro really found that keef thing.
Cheers
Neil

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 11:43:30 PM »
Hi Neil, a bit of a nod to Lola by the kinks I think ;). I get the stones ref, nice harp playing too. Nice playing and authentic sound. Made me laugh at the end.
Nice one!
Cheers
Jamir

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 10:39:48 AM »
Love the music!
At first I heard the Yardbirds coming on!
Agree there's not enough harp in the world and will have to dig mine out when I get an appropriate song together.
I thought about you letting rip, but with the vocal. I detected the start of a bit of raunch which never quite materialised. Think Eric Burdon!

Good sounds!
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 12:02:05 AM »
Jamie, glad you got the Kinks and the stones and it made you laugh.
Cramer and the yardbirds, I will one day let it rip I promise.
Neil

ToastedAndButter

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 06:58:30 AM »
yeeeee hawww! So much energy right away and into the song i love that! This instantly made me start bopping in bed haha! wicked harp skills bro! An awesomely tight song with little inflections that you listen to the whole song for looking forward to those special little parts!

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 08:52:37 AM »
What brilliant fun!

Really good song here. Would go down well live I think. Probly get those that can dance, dancing. Fun to play along too. Kinda goes just where you want it to.

You just know there's a punch line coming but well, I didn't know what it would be before it came.

Really like this. The only thing I think it could perhaps do with having is a good 'sing-a-long hooky chorus but you probly couldn't do what without blowing it too early ;)
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

AlexMo

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 09:28:25 AM »
Haha this is great. Very well produced and played. Love the 'Ask for Bernard?! You gotta be kidding me man...' at the end as well, keeps it feeling real.

I wasn't around in the sixties but this song pretty much sums up how I imagine going out then to have been. I also can't help but get a bit of a Squeeze - Cool For Cats vibe from it, in the way the lyrics are sung and written. Enjoyed this a lot!

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 03:38:22 PM »

Hey Guys,

Loved this....took me right back ;D ;D

Great 'feeling' with the harp Neil.  Good composition and arrangement, as always ;D ;D
 I liked those little 'ad libs' you threw in at the end....would have liked a few more of them,
 I'm a big fan of that sort of stuff......I think it adds to the 'fun' feeling you get from this
 sort of song.  And it certainly sounds like you had fun with this one ;D ;D

Great work guys ;D ;D
Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 06:11:32 PM »
Bin - when you say took you right back where exactly did you go ;D ;D
And OK more ad-libs I'll try and remember. I normally do them for a laugh on a guide vocal and some just stay and become part of the song. I kind of love vocal and guitar interplay that would often be on a fade out and you'd listen more intently to hear what the producer didn't want you to hear!

Alex - always trying to keep it real and yes get the squeeze reference. Great band and great songs.

Shiny - dancing? i think thats the bass gives it a bit of a push and yes you're made to wait for Robin's punchline

Toast - thanks and go steady on the bopping and those special little parts..
Neil

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 02:13:12 AM »
Another fine song and fun listen.
Wish I could play guitar and harp like that!
Keep 'em comin' Neil - good stuff!
Paul