The Battle of Ratterton-On-Thames

• 20 Replies

CorkingCrackBand

• Platinum Album
« on: March 01, 2023, 11:29:42 PM »
The last song I’ll post from my (forever) nearly complete Hypertronic Neo Shrimp album. I think with feedback on this I should have enough info to try and get the other songs up to scratch. Plus I’ve started writing the next album in earnest.  ::)

I’ll upload (when my Wi-Fi is sorted - hopefully tomorrow) an amended version with the cymbal crash’s taken down as I’m aware it’s an issue. *edit - now updated*  A warning- it’s a long song and I definitely don’t expect anyone to endure the whole thing. There’s 3 main sections of music - sometimes slipping into 5/4 - all of which are there to release the energy that has been building in the preceding 15 songs. Feel free to skip around to get a feel for it so you’re not tearing your hair out with ‘when will it end’ on your lips.  :D

Lyrically the theme of the album is being dealt with by the sung parts whilst the rest/spoken is more concerned with the on going plot. I think the limitations of being one man playing about 10 parts becomes rather noticeable in this one.   ;D

https://m.soundcloud.com/lee_boyes-128832399/the-battle-of-ratterton-on-thames?in=lee_boyes-128832399%2Fsets%2Finvasion-of-the-hypertronic

Lyric:

There, at the great capital upon the Thames the two immense armies met. The antennae of the hovering neo shrimp quivered in terror at the approaching army of rats; who -with tails proudly aloft - brought hope to the chained humans who waited beneath their  masters. The Shrimp, clicked and chirped nervous instructions as the rats approached with increasing speed. A wall of fortitude and might unending in valour. True in heart and cause - there would be no retreat or surrender. Finally the rats ceased their march and stood, bruxing in excited anticipation, creating a deafening roar that eventually fell to a charged silence.

Eventually the silence was punctured by the cry of a human who stood facing his master,
 “Now it ends.”
He said.
“We will be free of you. in life or in death. Comrades, let us stand beside our noble saviours and fight for the liberty of all that would be free.”
And with that chains were broken, spirits soared and the battle began .

"Remember, what they did - never forget. Charge!"

This world is what we make it.
We’re lost in space and time.
Now is the only present problem.
We were the only cause of crime.

This earth on which we claim our honour
Screams for us to see our own true minds.

We’re born of basic blood forever
No grandeur in our veins

And the clouds which block our clearest insight
Will part and we will see the child within.
Free your mind of passive precepts
and you'll find your heart is filled with love.

"There, our rat comrades are in trouble!"

“You lot with me”

“We’re by your side”

“O Christ give me a second comrades - I’m bleeding knackered here”

“Let’s have it”

“Together we’re too strong for them”

“We haven’t long, they’re regrouping”

“Quickly help the survivors”

“Take my hand you brave soul”

“Thank you comrade - now let’s have at them”

“Together”

“Forever”

“Let’s do this”

Twist: Pugwash!

Pugwash: Twist… Twist - I saw them get you, are you ok?

Twist: I can’t feel my tail

Pugwash: Hold on

Twist: Well I can’t, I can’t feel my tail

Pugwash: Oh yeah I forgot

Twist: Pugwash, it’s going dark

Pugwash: Yeah I know, well, you’re guaranteed a grey sky in this country, Twist. Oh, sorry I see what you mean.

Twist: Pugwash, make sure my mealworms are distributed evenly.

Pugwash: “fair and square kiddo. Twist? Twist?  They’ll pay Twist.
This ends now.”

“You lot go south, we’ll head them off this way”

“Good luck!”

“They’ll need more than luck to stop us”

“Eh up, what they doin’”

“They trying to flee the city to open ground”

“You stay where you are- we’ve got this”

“Yes - corner them like rats in a barre… oh, um, just corner them!”

The best of the Warrior Neo Shrimp had perished. Trapped by the debris of buildings they had felled in the invasion the remaining shrimp were left exposed and vulnerable .

“This is it - attack!”

“One last push comrades. One last fearful leap. Tomorrow our battle is within ourselves. To stay true to what we do here, today. And today we fight for our freedom. Today we hold true to the best of us. now is the moment. Do not falter -  give no ground or there will be no tomorrow. Now, comrades - NOW!”

Your life is always worth the fighting
Darkness waits in hope
And so the choice that’s put before you
May be the last one that you ignore.

Don’t know what to think? don’t know what to do?

Take your life and know it matters
to all the ones you see in natures grace
Hold the love you know you felt once
it will be reborn in loss’s place

“They’re rising into the sky”

“What are they doing now?”

“It all looks a bit fishy to me”

“Heads down everyone”

“No! Look! They’re fleeing!”

“That’s it - run away you crusty sods!”

The thick smog that had covered the land rose and blew free into the clouds. A bright sun and newly cleared eyes made for a spectacular sight. The Hypertronic Neo Shrimp could find no way to stop the rats burrowing into their shells and eating them from the inside out. Shrimp hovering mid air would fall lifeless as rats fled their empty shells, squeaking something about mealworms. The Hypertronic Neo Shrimp that were not eaten fled to the black hole what they done come from. Behind them the black hole closed and so the rats had won and the Earth was safe.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 12:22:53 PM by CorkingCrackBand »

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2023, 12:10:11 PM »
Hi CCB

Beyond any useful critique from me,I can only wonder at the level of creativity and imagination.
You have a head full of slamming doors,man.  ;D

War of the Worlds meets Michael Moorcock.  8)

CorkingCrackBand

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2023, 12:18:30 PM »
Hi CCB

You have a head full of slamming doors,man.  ;D

They’re like mouse farts in a cathedral- plenty of space for the to echo in. ;D

Thanks @Skub - oddly I just came here to say I’ve updated the song so it now has reduced cymbal crash and slightly louder trumpet/sax. Thanks for listening.

CorkingCrackBand

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2023, 08:36:57 PM »
Just occurred to me that I didn’t contextualise the song - in essence the rats represent the downtrodden but virtuous -  humanity, complacency and fickleness and the Hypertronic Neo Shrimp, aggression and oppression. In this song, the best of us, the rats come to humanity’s aid, ultimately setting them free of their moral cowardice and laziness.

TBF - that’s basically the album in a nutshell.

Right, that’s it. I’ll say no more about it… starting from… Now!

Unless anyone asks a question… :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2023, 09:08:31 PM »
Your imagination is inspiring @CorkingCrackBand This is an epic rat infested battle extravaganza. Surely should be on a concept album. I can actually picture this as being part of a huge stage show. Great opportunity for giant rat costumes. Melodyne gone mad. Love that. Whacky and wonderful 😊

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2023, 10:59:42 PM »
Wow, a creative explosion! Definitely stage craft at play here, it begs to want to see this craziness played out visually.

‘Original’ would not do it justice.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2023, 12:42:43 AM »
Oooh err!! Someone's laced me beer with mind bending drugs!! ;D I jest..I'm hugely impressed with stuff. The imagination that's gone into this is just amazing. A lot of work's gone into this too. I can't criticise it any way as it's just so well done. Keep em comin' I say. :)

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2023, 10:12:24 AM »
@CorkingCrackBand Wow! I listened to the end! That was really, really entertaining and the story kept me captivated. You truly have a fantastic and original imagination, plus the music is an epic prog rock extravaganza. ( Rick Wakeman eat your heart out). Love the 5/4 section, really moves the story along and there are some very clever and sophisticated melody parts.  My one suggestion would be to tone the overall volume down a little, as I think you are getting saturation in parts, causing slight distortion. However, if this were a rock musical, I would go see it! Congratulations on an epic piece of work

Kevin

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2023, 12:42:03 PM »
Well…just about everything in this is pretty amazing.

The prose and storytelling is marvellous and the intricacy of the musical setting is mind-boggling.

I’d like to get the superlatives out of the way first…and they are absolutely justified in being called superlatives as I really feel that’s what they are.

It’s a hell of a project and I’m very impressed.

I didn’t listen to it all though…which perhaps makes me look like a bit of a dick, having said all of the previous. I did absolutely read it all, but if I’m totally honest, i would worry that the message that must be driving all of this was lost on me in this musical setting. Partly because of the headache I wa giving myself trying figure out what the gist of it all meant and where exactly you were going with all the metaphors (unless you were really just taking about shrimps and rats😂) and ultimately what your goal was. That got me thinking about why we all write our songs, what we’re trying to achieve etc…and then I found I’d gone off on one a bit and needed a lie down.

So…summing up…I think you are an exceptionally talented writer and composer…I just didn’t really “get” it…and wasn’t able to just forget the message and go along with the ride.

I’m sorry that this might sound negative…but it really isn’t.

It’s quite a masterpiece. I just worry that I may have been looking at it upside down or something 😀

I also need to mention that your presence on here has been a massive boost to the forum…you are fun and funny and very generous with your thoughts, comments and support for others…and that’s very much appreciated.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

CorkingCrackBand

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2023, 01:14:42 PM »
Hi @PaulAds

Warning - text wall incoming, 6 O’Clock dive dive dive!

Thank you so much for your generous words. They mean more than I can express (outside the medium of tap dance).

To be fair I’ve been rather scattergunning songs from across the album on this forum so it’s no surprise it makes little sense!

In essence the album is structured into three parts/Acts. (Feel free to skip)

Firstly, we meet a decadent humanity concerned only with its own power and subservience to it. the Hypertronic Neo shrimp, then invade and take this away from humanity. The Hypertronic Neo Shrimp represents power, aggression and oppression - having taken over these traits from humanity in the story.

In the second act,  humanity takes the form of usurped complacency and fickleness.  we see resistance rebellion and hope be destroyed. Humanity is an essence taken back to a blank canvas by the end of the act.

In the third act, we meet the rats. They represent our better nature. the rats - the downtrodden but virtuous -  and In this song they come to humanity’s aid, ultimately setting them free of their moral cowardice and laziness.  You see this portrayed in the battle by their eagerness to help each other. In the subsequent songs it is made clear that humanity no longer wishes to revert to their former selves (as they still wanted in act 2) but see that something new and better must be built in its place.

From the last song:
“A new world is built on the lessons leant in hardship. The horizon is beckoning all forward with its many splendored colours .  Relief and joy permeate the air, alongside a newfound determination, to never again repeat the mistakes of history.”

Add into the mix that with the exception of the sympathetically portrayed Queen, humanity is represented and referred to as male and the rats are uniformly female (plus more deeper layering than that rather 2D point!) and you have the basic themes of the album - though even as I write that I’m desperate to say “there’s so much more to it than that!”

Hi @ChrisPrice + @pompeyjazz + @MichaelA

Thanks for listening and your kind feedback. As you may have gathered from the above @pompeyjazz - yes it is a concept album!

Hi @kevysc

Thanks as well - especially for enduring the whole thing. A brave man indeed. 
  From several of your comments across my songs, which I completely agree with, I will take them all down a few dB.

Cheers all.

CCB

Ps. I won’t mention the album again - it did rather dominate my life for the 6-8 weeks of writing/recording.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2023, 09:06:40 PM »
@CorkingCrackBand I’ll echo Paul’s sentiments to say what a very welcome addition you are to our little corner of the Internet. These type of sites only thrive when there are folks contributing and responding. Thankfully there seems to be a lot more of that recently after some pretty lean times. Good on yer 😎

Kafla

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2023, 01:28:13 PM »
I was just thinking there isn’t enough songs about Hypertronic Neo Shrimps  ;D

Mate you are a legend…let’s just leave that here…

What you do is so creative and man it must take toy decades to pull all this together…

Outstanding 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2023, 04:04:53 PM »
Hi CCB, well , where do you start. Lots of it reminded me of 70's keyboard prog rock stuff, which is good (Dave Greenslade meets Rick Wakeman) ! Very theatrical delivery which suits the genre, War of the Worlds etc...It is very clever and is really well done.

Good work mate!

Jamie

CorkingCrackBand

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2023, 04:27:49 PM »
 Hi @Jamie
  Thanks. Where to start? Some might say ‘don’t - RUN!’
I’m glad you found something/s to appreciate.    :)

Hi @kafla
  I wish there were some other way of saying thanks as it seems a bit stock response-y to say ‘ thank you for your kind feedback‘…

… but thank you for your kind feedback. It means a lot. It took about 6-8 weeks of hard graft to write the album, largely as a distraction from the break up of my 15 year marriage but I think your ‘decades in the making’ idea gives it a rather more enigmatic/momentous air.  I’ll go with that when I’m asked about it at the red carpet events. ;D

Hi @pompeyjazz
  I saw your comment last night but wanted time to think about my response after I fear I may have seemed dismissive of @PaulAds kind words. I won’t make a song and (tap) dance of it but I’ve never played my 40+ albums to anyone before the last few weeks, largely due to crippling anxiety and severe depression but you’ve all been extremely kind and welcoming so I thank you sincerely for what you’ve said and would like to say in return that friendly communities draw friendly people in, so thanks to you all. Sharing the process and (nearly!) complete results of creation with you and learning from your different styles and methods has been a sheer bloody joy and long may it continue.
  If I do suddenly go silent one day, I’m probably just having a rough time and need some time out.  8)

CCB

P.S. I thought my daughter did a fine job in Twists death scene… Olivier-esqué. Just a shame she charged £2,500 for her services. Family, eh? ;D

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2023, 06:00:14 PM »
I have NO idea where you could even start with this - it's so creative.. What a ride!! Fab that you roped in your daughter.. I echo what everyone above is saying.. it's astoundingly imaginative.. in awe!!!

I too listened to the end... which is quite a feat to hold interest for that long...

Only comment I have is small - there's a tiny part of the piano motif at .50 / .51 that I would tighten up timing wise - perhaps you have done it on purpose but it disturbed the control freak in me.. I'm all for meandering piano (my solo stuff is full of it) but to my ear that little bit sounds like it should be more on the grid, it wobbles of for a few notes.. And I do really like that part actually!

Fab work and may I too echo the welcome to the forum - your contributions are fab and you are what we call over here "gas"! Great sense of humour oozing from your posts.

Right so, that was all :) !

K