konalavadome

How Your Job Influences Your Writing?

• 16 Replies

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« on: October 02, 2016, 02:32:49 PM »
Hey,

Credit to misswhiterabbit for the inspiration talking about being a teacher and it's limitations in song-writing, as it got me thinking about my job and how it influences me, but in both positive and negative ways.

Also apologies for the long post, I'm obviously in a writing mood. This is something I'll also probably add to and edit as time goes on as I enjoyed writing about the similarities and what skills/lessons are transferable - plus any writing practice is good as I'm gearing up to submit a post for review to get on our public engineering blog.

I've been a software engineer for near 5 years at a very large IT company, and one of the more important things I've learnt over that time is that it's not 'sitting in a dark room writing complicated algorithms' that make you a valued engineer, it's everything else around it.

People
During the interview process especially and then emphasized consistently is the need to 'network' with others and work as a team. You need to be able to participate in and get along with any team of people. When I started work I was very outgoing with people I knew, but specifically and deliberately very quiet around new people. This became a focal point on reviews and I was forced to become more confident and comfortable around others. Though I haven't done any open-mics or performed in-front of more than two people, I know these lessons have spilled over to my personal life and I'm in a much better position to network in the music world based on this experience.

Process
Process is potentially the most important thing about being a software developer. With words like 'Agile' and 'DevOps' being used as buzz-words in the industry, I'll talk about the actual points I've came across and how they've changed my approach to songwriting.

Working in 'Sprints' and Creating a 'Minimum Viable Product'

Part of the Agile process is to work in small, 1-2 week (for us, 2-4 more generally) sprints. At the start of each sprint; developers will commit to what they can get completed by the end of it, and for only that sprint. The more important part here to reflect on song-writing are the concepts of a 'Minimum viable product' and a potentially shippable increment: At the end of each sprint, the system should be developed, working and tested for the functionality that was committed to (Such as if the 'whole' system was to read in written forms, categorise them and send out a notification; you may have a working system which will successfully read and parse submissions by the end of sprint 1).

This definitely reflects in my song-writing; as opposed to having a full idea in my head and working on bits all around the song (few lines verse 1, concept chorus, outline structure of verse 2), I tend to make sure to have that 'minimum viable product' which can be performed at any stage - even if it's just a 4-line poem. As with software, it is a good idea to understand somewhat what you'd like your finished product to look like, but this way you always have something to build on and can react to changes; either in customer requirements or personal motivation/inspiration. Plus, you could always perform your song with only two verses and decide you like it just the way it is (Thank god I'm my only customer).

Story Board and Work in Progress Limit (WIP Limit)

In software development we generally have a 'Story Board', either physical or digital. In either case it will be split in to categories (typically something like 'Backlog', 'This Sprint', 'In Progress', 'Test/Review', 'Done') with 'Story' items representing functionality such as the ability to 'Create a new Account' or 'Edit Profile Information'.

Whilst this goes alongside the previous sections in it helps to create those 'minimum viable products' where each individual item is fully complete, it also introduces a WIP limit - where a limit is placed on how many items are 'In Progress'. The idea of this is to ensure a nice flow of individual pieces of functionality which can be added to the 'live' bank of code, but also highlights items which are 'blocked' - where developers will get together and 'swarm' on an individual issue. Though I would say 'go where the inspiration takes you' when it comes to songwriting, I have definitely limited my 'work in progress' to around 2 songs at a time so not to get too confused, focus my thoughts and avoid leaving one in an incomplete state for too long.

I think it's also important to know what your 'done' looks like ("Definition of Done" in the development world). By categorising songs / verses as 'done' you can move on to the next with a clear mind, and always know what you can perform at a given time. The importance here is understanding what 'done' means to you. Hey, you might go to an open mic and perform 3 'completed' songs, then do a quick minute performance of a 'minimum viable product' to gage a reaction - at least you'll know what songs are ready for performance, and have that performable basis of an incomplete song to gage interest (continual customer feedback is also part of the Agile Manifesto ;)).

High Cohesion and Loose Coupling
High cohesion, at least in software development, means that individual components of a solution have each clearly defined goals and operations. Ths means that you may have a Method (section of code which can be re-used) designed to add or subtract two numbers, and that is exactly what it does; no more, no less!

Loose coupling is the idea that a set of methods (or class, or system if abstracting up) which work together to form a solution to a problem (i.e. a Online Banking) also work individually. This is almost always connected to cohesion, as in the above example the method which adds/subtracts numbers could be part of the banking system, but can be also reused in another system which also needs to add/subtract numbers.

A nice area where I can see this come in to play is with elements of Chord Theory which Boydie most kidly put together here. For example, if you wanted to create a Rock Ballad you could re-use a common pattern I, VI , IV and V and apply a different key. As a songwriter, you can decouple the progressions you've used from the chords they've translated to and re-use this in another song which you'd like to catch a similar essence.

Hence the same for rhyming patterns, cool alliterations, melodies and so on (In fact I used the same finger-picking pattern to create different songs back-to-back - though it's the only one I've practiced I can blag it as an example ;))

Conclusion
So I obviously don't have a song-writing sory-board up in my flat, nor do I rigorously police 'WIP Limits' or stick to working on single aspects of a song until completion before moving on; but they are all concepts which do lay in the back of my head when taking on any task - and perhaps ones which do merit some say when it comes to songwriting.

How about anyone else? Has your job influenced the way you think enough to change the process you take when writing songs, or the content in them?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 07:37:04 PM by ScottLevi »

boolio

• Solo Gig
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 05:27:08 PM »
Wow Scott when you said how your job influences your songwriting I assumed you ment artistically not from a technical point of view.
I have difficulty planning anything and I think it shows in my songs 'muddled' being a common criticism. So I will read your 'dissertation'  :) again (and again!) to try and fully 'get it' because I think there's deffo something in there that I might benefit from...
Cheers Phil
https://soundcloud.com/user-938884922

Quavers, Crotchets, Doritos. What's the difference?

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 06:48:21 PM »
Haha Boolio, thanks for the kind words. I'm not well practised or established at songwriting so this was more me making use of 'the bar' to chat **** rather than be particularly useful to anyone - so be warned ;)

There's a lot of contrast between creating music and creating software. most obviously the 'passion' and 'taste' which is more prominent in a song than in software - which means a lot of these rigid and forced practices just wont suit well enough. However, the approaches I talked about weren't necessarily birthed for software development, but have been stolen and adapted from other areas of life, so should in some sort be adaptable further to help produce quality songs if you find yourself overwhelmed with ideas.

FYI Hunted down your thread/song and it's top notch, and surprisingly coincidentally maybe an actual example where the 'potentially shippable increment' and 'continual customer feedback' could have saved you scaling the song back, if that's you're plan!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 06:51:07 PM by ScottLevi »

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 09:18:05 PM »
I have just studied "agile" and think it is great

Your post has been really useful, thanks

I may pick your brains on it at some point

Boydie
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 10:49:18 PM »
The main way my job affects my songwriting is in the fact that I get up at 5:30 and have an hour and forty-five minutes on the motorway followed by a high pressure day and all sorts of stress followed by a two hour drive home (it's busier at night) and by the time I've walked the dog, ate some dinner, and showered it's time for bed so I can get up at 5:30 again... so there is very little songwriting except when I have a week off. I know I'm not alone in this. It's the modern world. But how on earth did we end up here?
West Country Country Boy

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 11:22:56 PM »
Gonna change the emphasis here (cool thread btw) and say that for me, the opposite has happened if anything. Songwriting has definitely had an impact on my job and how I approach it.

Having been writing songs since I was about 16/17, I've always been keenly aware that the right combination of words to convey your meaning contributes enormously to the emotional punch of the song. Over the years I like to think I've honed my lyrical style and approach, and I can now fit quite a lot into not a huge amount of words - both narrative and feeling.

Turns out that being able to concisely write about something while creating a particular feeling in the reader is the job description for a copywriter. The down side is that after a day pulling words out of my head, sometimes the last thing I want to do is sit down and write lyrics. Not really sure how to address this problem...
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 11:53:43 PM »
My job is running leisure centres and golf courses

Leisure is a very service/customer industry as it solely relies on secondary spend - nobody "needs" to join a gym etc.

So a lot of my time is spent finding out what the customer really wants (which is probably not what they say on surveys etc.) and then design my service around this

In my song writing I take a very similar approach where I try to write from the listener's perspective or writing to particular briefs

I really enjoy creative something (whether it be a new fitness class or a new song), trying it out with customers/listeners, getting feedback, refining it and then deciding whether it is successful (eg lots of happy customers or a successful song pitch)

I am quite lucky as I don't have much "ego" at work or in songwriting - I do have confidence in both but will always admit mistakes, embrace failure, and take advice/feedback on board from anyone & everyone
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 08:21:57 AM »
Interesting question:  

I think it was Pablo Casals who, when asked if it was hard to paint a masterpiece, responded, "No, It's either easy or it's impossible."  

If Casals is correct, then those who are working too hard at writing songs (or performing any type of artistic "tasks") you won't be creating masterpieces.  

As far as how my work influences my songwriting. . . my work is a part of my life (an important part of it) and every song I write is influenced by my life and experiences.  You are supposed to "write what you know" and what I know from work is a huge part of my total experience and understanding of human nature and how the world operates.  

I was a Construction Project manager for 17 years, running jobs that ranged from 1.2 Million dollar budgets to 8 Million dollar budgets.  Every job had it's own personality and between 100 and 300 personalities that I would have to interact with.  

It was as fun and rewarding as writing songs is.  

I was a General Contractor for 13 more years.  It was a lot like baby sitting at times, and a lot like attending a "school on human nature."  Some of the best people I know, and some of the most frustrating people I know taught me much about human nature on my job.  

But I do not write songs like I organized and ran jobsites.  The Job demanded strict organization from my naturally unorganized mind. . . and I had the reputation for overdoing the organization. 

My songwriting is the total opposite.  It's art, and I allow myself total freedom doing it.  No overoragnizing, and no overthinking.  To steal a line from Nike, I "Just Do It." 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 08:24:30 AM by hardtwistmusic »
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 09:55:03 AM »
i'm sure it does...i can't imagine writing any of the disaffected, chip-on-my-shoulder, miserable bollocks that i come up with had i been any sort of a success in life  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 11:21:36 AM »
My work possibly influences when i do write because of i have no set patterns, at the moment i am doing 12pm-10, with a 30 min break and 11 days solid..so it's a question of energy to even think sometimes . In saying that, it might mean that in a tired state ,with the brain not working properly ,something interesting pops up in the grey matter, and then i feel more energized, voila .

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 05:59:07 PM »
My music is my antidote to work - I just do it how I feel with very few rules - Freedom  :)

I sooooooooo identify with that.  If it ever became "work" I'd probably stop doing it.  And I love working.  But songwriting is different and needs to stay different than work. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 06:54:20 PM »
Interesting thread.
I work in IT and in results orientated business, so long hours and lots of travelling. I guess it influences me as follows:
Music is a release, I'm addicted and resent it if I cannot write, play and record at least 3 or 4 times a week
I'm time poor but it funds my passion ( home studio, gear, songwriting courses )
It can inspire lyrics
It does provide dead time to review my demos and think about stuff to do
It also provides time to write and refine lyrics
So the IT bit has no real relevance as I'm not technical. I spend a lot time talking and understanding people so maybe that helps me collaborate with cowriters and musicians. As an only child I could be self suffient but also be really gregarious and play with others, so I'm not sure...
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 09:47:21 PM »
I enjoy songwriting because it is nothing like my job. Like others have said, I find it a release from the mundanities and the pressures of work. But there's probably a more fundamental reason why my job has no bearing on my songwriting - persona. What I LOVE about songwriting is the ability to write something from someone elses perspective - someone you'll never be and may in fact not ever want to be (for example the co-write with Jess and Boydie called Strike 3 as I'm not now nor have I ever been a teenage girl!). It's a magnificent form of escapism not only from work but from the rough and tumble of 'real life' I guess. The songs I try to write are probably as far removed from my day job as is imaginable, but then again my sporting interests and wider interests and tastes are atypical of my job too.

Although I don't think it influences my approach to songwriting or what I write there are nonetheless a lot of similarities that I've observed about both. These are pretty critical and others will no doubt challenge me on them which is fine but I hope no one takes offence but IMHO both;

Have their fair share of ego, climbers and those obsessed with what I crudely call 'dick measuring' and poo pooing all over others because they think it makes them'better' (especially those with little to actually go down this road with....)
Rely on being able to take constructive criticism and rejection
Belie the nonsense that the loudest voice is in fact 'right', most experienced or most successful (in most cases the most successful people don't brag because their success speaks for itself without them having to remind everyone every 2 seconds)
Help if you network with the'right' people and have access to them as both can be something of a closed shop
Involve playing the long game, digging your heels in and preparing yourself for a slow but steady progression to where you ultimately want to be
Can be as rewarding as they can tortuously frustrating

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 11:26:47 PM »
i'm sure it does...i can't imagine writing any of the disaffected, chip-on-my-shoulder, miserable bollocks that i come up with had i been any sort of a success in life  :)

;D

Agreed. Music is to disconnect from work. Full stop. And there´s been so much of it recently I haven´t had time to review any music on here. Looking forward to getting some inspiration soon.