When to stop adding music?

• 6 Replies

Maltese_Falcon

• Busker
« on: June 04, 2015, 06:48:24 PM »
So I've started listening to a lot of minimal wave from the 70s and 80s, as well as more commercial synth pop.  In my travels trying to find a new sound, I've been listening to a lot of house music (very simple rhythms, which I like) and I've started recording some simple sounds from my Korg MicroKorg XL+ synth.  I'll track what I intend to be a verse section, and then move on to a chorus, but most of the time I keep it quite similar.

I've found that my songs do sound quite simple, in that the musical instrumentation is very bare - although the patches in the MK sound pretty nice, I am second guessing myself thinking "is that enough?"

I'll set a new track up in my DAW and try to compose a new piece of music to sit 'on top' of what I've already done, but nothing seems to work.  At least not in my opinion.  When I remember I am going to put some strong vocal lines alongside the music I feel less inclined to add more sounds.  Does anyone else struggle with knowing when to say "enough is enough"?

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 07:46:00 PM »
That is a really good point

One of my revelations in songwriting was changing my approach to do the minimal necessary to record a lead vocal

I now build the rest of the track around the vocal and find I am getting better results
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

skogge

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 09:21:33 PM »
So I've started listening to a lot of minimal wave from the 70s and 80s, as well as more commercial synth pop.

Hooray! Two of us here :)

Maltese_Falcon

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 09:49:31 PM »
That is a really good point

One of my revelations in songwriting was changing my approach to do the minimal necessary to record a lead vocal

I now build the rest of the track around the vocal and find I am getting better results

I will try that, I was a singer first and then moved in to production so maybe I should get my vocals recorded and then see what the song is asking for, rather than try to build up the other way around.  A lot of the other musicians I know tend to start with the drums and bass, then add padding (keys, guitars, etc) later and do the vocals last. 

And Skogge, we do exist!  I don't think I could listen to it all the time, I find it more interesting than 'enjoyable', to know that that sort of music is out there and really doesn't cater to anything but itself fascinates me.  And some of the sounds are really unique.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 12:06:52 PM »
I definitely think getting the vocal down as early as you can is key to a sympathetic production as Boydie says. Fortunately for me, I write all my stuff on an acoustic guitar/ piano, mainly just blocking out chords, so this is the only way I can work, but I think I've had good results.

While I think it's not only possible but highly effective to do it the other way around, if you choose to do it, you need to always be mindful of the fact that vocals need space, so leaving enough room for a top line and vocal frequencies in any part where you'll be singing is really important.

Good luck, look forward to hearing what you come up with. :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

skogge

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 09:26:04 PM »
And Skogge, we do exist!  I don't think I could listen to it all the time, I find it more interesting than 'enjoyable', to know that that sort of music is out there and really doesn't cater to anything but itself fascinates me.  And some of the sounds are really unique.

The thing about a big chunk of the Minimal Wave-"scene" is that it, IMHOP, is more about Punk and DIY than about "synth", whatever that is. And also it is often very danceable. In my former hometown of Malmoe in southern Sweden, there is a bi (or thri-) monthly club devoted to that kind of music. I´ve been trying to produce something along those lines but nothing worth publishing (as yet anyhow).

I work more along the lines of "indie"-songs dressed in some old-school synth pop outfits. I have posted a few of them here.

My two cents on your question:
1. If you aiming for minimal, just experiment with a few sounds, a square groove and a cassette-recorder ;-)
2. If you are not, outline the song first, with lyrics/basic melodies just as the others said. Then dress it like a christmas tree. If you are anything like me, a couple of years later you begin to learn that all ideas must not be used in the song currently at your hands. (d*mn, forgot to insert big smiley here)
3 ;-) Share work in progress. Let others have a say :-)

God speed!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 09:44:55 PM by skogge »

Maltese_Falcon

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 12:18:04 PM »
Cassette recorder sounds interesting, I may investigate sending my mixes through one at some point to add a touch of colour to it!