Writing a new song by emulating an existing song?

• 6 Replies

fantasyvn

• Busker
« on: March 17, 2014, 12:17:31 PM »
I read a book which suggests a tip to write a new song. You use the existing chord progression and rhythm/groove from another song. You play around with it, then the inspiration will come and you may be able to write a new song based on the original.

I have tried and yes, I was able to write a new song based on this method.

My questions is this: So far I only ‘play around’ with songs that I love.

Do you think this method can work for the songs that you don’t like or love? For example, can you write anything substantial if you try the chord progression, rhythm from a current hit? You know it is a hit for some reason, so you try even though you don’t like it. If you don’t like the song, then can you still do anything based on that song?

Thank you

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 03:06:48 PM »
It all depends on why you are writing

I am assuming you are referring to writing for commercial pitching?

In theory I can't see why it wouldn't work but I would question the logic of writing a song in a genre you dislike

I would be fearful that this will "show through" in the writing - eg pop is often criticised for having "conversational lyrics" BUT it is very hard to write a good conversational pop lyric without it sounding cliche

If you are not fully immersed in the genre you may end up just writing cliche or a parody that does not sound sincere

There are enough hit songs out there to find some that you like so I would be tempted to go for these instead
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 03:23:58 PM »
I agree , write over something you like,otherwise that`s not going to get your creative thinking going,i would have thought!

Dutchbeat

• Open Mic
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 07:18:19 PM »
Oasis wrote some of their songs like this, jamming to Beatles tunes and ideas extremely long
and really make it into some new songs

but i would not recommend it, i think this only works for a few very talented and creative people, who can in the end separate out what they are doing and adding from where they started

it certainly wouldn't work for me  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Gallowglass

• Solo Gig
  • Dime Store Saint
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 01:24:32 AM »
I'd say it generally works. It doesn't need to be a band or genre that you like, but you do need to like the tune, or else you're going to be fighting against it. A very good song for this sort of thing is Biloxi Parish by The Gaslight Anthem, on account of its simplistic, repetitive, bouncing meter.
Band recommendation of the week: Fit For Rivals? False. Renee Phoenix has no rivals.

'She can still hear the Rebel Yell just as loud as it was in 1983' - Thrash Unreal, Against Me!

Sunfighter

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 04:45:09 PM »
Many of the songs I have written have started as my attempt to write a certain kind of song - "a Joni Mitchell song", "a David Crosby song".

I've been pretty happy with the results, and the finished product never sounds like the inspiration, mainly because I'm not a good enough writer!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 04:53:52 PM by Sunfighter »

stavcoby

• Busker
    • Reflection & the misplaced variety act
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 11:15:54 AM »
I read an interview with Bob Dylan, who said he writes songs by playing a track he's into over and over in his head untill he eventually begins to re-write it in his own way.  "Subterranean homesick blues" came from Chuck Berry's "too much monkey business".  Its not an easy thing to do without sounding too like the original.