killed by trash

• 7 Replies

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« on: October 26, 2013, 10:19:43 PM »
heres my new fx pedal my friend was making me ( remember i talked about it in ramshackles free mic thread)
unfortunateley it sounded nothing like the one i wanted i saw demoed on youtube!
i felt realy bad.... i couldnt hide my disapointment.... hed made it specialy for me!
anyway he took it away to tweak it for me & left me the box which i had fun decorating
im hoping the names ive given the knobs & the box will inspire him in his tweaking so they are the sounds i get from it ! ;D
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 02:24:34 PM »
I'm guessing that the circuit he used is not the same as the pedal you wanted (As those circuits are likely not public domain) - remind me again, was it a strymon pedal? - but another circuit for the 'same' effect. E.g a delay circuit, or overdrive circuit etc etc...

One delay is not the same as another etc...

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 12:14:39 AM »
no it was a ridiculously expensive fuzz box
he made me a simple one in the summer which sounded absoluteley terrifying ...you couldnt listen to it for more than 10 secs without your ears hurting...we joked that it could be sold as a weapon so he decided hed invented a new effect & called it 'trash'
anyway he said to choose one i wanted so i did & he got the circuits from someone whod bought one & taken it apart &  posted the circuits online ...so it was the right one
im thinking maybe it was the guitar & the pickups & the amp it was plugged into that made it sound so good in the youtube demo i saw ....but hes still working on it
anyway i think fuzz boxes are the last thing your intrested in :)

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 09:34:51 AM »
I have 2 fuzz boxes :)
1 fairly expensive and 1 I built myself...

Right now Im making a weird 'distortion compressor' that could be made into a guitar pedal...I'm building it as a line level piece...

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 06:40:36 PM »
omg im gobsmacked i cant believe you have 2 fuzz boxes!! i thought youd dedicated your life to getting rid of distortion & here you are making the nasty stuff at home  ;D
so whats a weird distortion compresser do? ...sounds like my sort of thing
now we have something in common i might as well say the sound i was after getting was neil youngs super distorted electric 'weld' sound he had on hey hey my my into the black & others...have you any ideas ...it is the best guitar sound i have ever heard :)

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 08:23:37 AM »
Do you know the Crazy Horse pedal by Durham electronics??

He is also using an octaver pedal on Hey Hey. I suspect a lot of the distortion is coming from slamming a fender amp....so tubes!

Weird distortion compressor compresses and distorts! It's quite subtle distortion though. More like what you would get from driving an old reel-to-reel recorder.

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 05:45:13 PM »
 ;D hmmmm yes i do !.... thats the pedal my friend built a clone of....its £250!! for a fuzz box!!
im told i can say clone thats the pc word for it ;)

anyway im sure like you say neil doesnt use anything like that he uses valve amps that hes had tweaked but im not playing to 200000 people so i just wanted to get that sound & not annoy evryone within 2 miles
so what are you going to do with this thing your making ...how will you use it in folk music?
dont tell me your doing a neil young &strapping on a electric for a monster amp torturing electric album!
yes ive heard people say he uses a octave pedal i had one years ago but it could never seem to make up its mind what octave to do so it sort of hesitated & kept changing its mind...i was the first yodelling guitarist i think ;D

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 09:50:50 PM »
ok ive been told to try it into a amp tonight & it now sounds more like the one i heard on youtube
it was silly of me thinking the sound all came out of the box.....maybe i ll use it on my christmas song & scare you all ...it realy does sound quite nasty :)