konalavadome

Belated greetings from Dead Weight

• 2 Replies

Dead Weight

• Busker
« on: August 17, 2012, 12:54:57 AM »
Hello all,

Just came across this part of the Songwriter's Forum and realised I've not introduced myself.  Please forgive my lack of manners.

My name is Dan and I hail from Plymouth.  I'm in my thirties now and I have recently become a father.

I started writing songs when I was at uni, writing lyrics and trying to compose the music on my guitar (more recently on my piano).  As a kid I learned to read music through playing the violin.

I jammed occasionally with mates during my uni days, but I never ventured beyond sing-alongs with housemates and other willing (or bladdered) house-party guests.

When I graduated and started work, I had less time for playing, but I'd have occasional creative bursts from time to time.  So I continued to keep writing lyrics down.  I've been 'hiding my light under a bush' for too long now, so I found this site and decided to show my wares.

I've written 30+ songs (and a handful of poems), with several 'works in progress' that I keep on the back-burner, waiting for the remaining pieces to join them.  My writing process is normally random.  I’ve never sat down to write a song.  Sometimes the lyrics come to me first and I then lay down the tune.  Sometimes the tune develops, then I work on lyrics. Either way, I do enjoy the unravelling of a new song in my mind, the whole creative process developing, whatever the hour or location.

My guitar-playing isn’t what it used to be (have less time to just jam, or learn new songs), I spend more time on the piano these days.  I’ve got some recording software and hardware to link to my laptop, but I tend to keep putting off attempting to record anything. 

I wasn’t sure what I’d achieve by sharing my lyrics here, but since posting here in the last month, I’ve gotten some good, honest and supportive feedback from other members such as Sellon and Corsair.  I’ve also enjoyed reading lyrics and listening to tunes by other contributors.  So I’ll happily continue posting and enjoying the posts.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 07:21:55 PM »
Hi Dan

Another janner, eh? Nice to have you with us, and thanks for the detailed intro. It's nice to get a proper feeling of where forum folks come from. Whereabouts in Plym are you from? I used to live in Mutley before heading east, and never going back :)

Tone :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Dead Weight

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 11:19:10 PM »
Hello Tone,

I'm a St Budeaux boy, though I did live in digs in Greenbank during my youth.  Within staggering distance of the Mutley pubs...