Non singing songwriters

• 10 Replies

KEROUAC1957

• Open Mic
« on: February 05, 2013, 03:58:49 PM »
I've always had problems envisioning my songs as I'm not a very good singer. I was thinking about this recently and I wondered how other non singers get around this. When you write a song how do you know there is enough scope in the song for a really good vocalist to get their vocal chops around? I mean I think I can judge a good melody but I sometimes wonder what a vocalist can do with the melody.

Also without having good vocal abilities how do you get the song across?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 04:04:35 PM by KEROUAC1957 »

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 05:20:37 PM »
I guess thats were good lyric writing come into it`s own.....or if your composing the music, an inspiring melody....i think if it excites me,it will excite others.....as to getting the song across ..you just have to wait till you get a demo back....and then take it from there.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 05:46:17 PM »
How to get your song across without being a good singer? Seems simple enough: get together with a good singer. Also hearing someone else get their voice around your song will give you a better idea of how they're working, and which sections are more difficult vocally. It will also give you a better perspective on your lyrics I think - hearing someone else sing them allows you to listen in a more detached way.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 03:47:54 PM »
Im not really a singer at the best of times. But, the 2 singers in our band are great. They are also female, which means most of the time Im writing in a register thats a bit too high for me. So; Bad singer & wrong register :D

There are only 2 ways to get a song across really; recording or playing. And as to record a song, you have to play it...there is really only one way :P

In terms of getting it across to the singer, I attempt to sing it to them, play the melody line through on the piano/guitar. Once they have the melody, then we work on how they should sing it. Which involves input from everyone :)

You can always write it down, but if you are writing popular/vocal music (songs), they way to get it across is to get it performed.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 09:26:38 AM »
Hi, I'm no singer either.
When I start I'm writing the melody in my head and singing to myself. For me songwriting is iterative to get the music, lyrics and structure together.
If you're demoing it for others to sing then you either have to give your vocal line as a guide, or with piano you can play the vocal lines. With a guitar I multitrack and put lead as a guide for the vocal line.

My view is if it kinda of works with someone with limited vocal abilities then when you give it to a good singer who likes it, it will only get better, and at that stage I have to let go...

One piece of advice someone gave me was around practicing, the more you write, play and sing etc the better and more confident you'll get. Professionals songwriters will be writing a new song every day.. 

I'm sort of wondering was there something specific that prompted you to ask?

Sorry if thats a bit rambling but hope it helps.

:)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

FustigateMusic

• Busker
  • Sometimes I dont write. Sometimes i HAVE to write.
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 03:26:35 PM »
I had the same problem for a long time. Eventually I gave up on singing and started rapping. Which takes away the focus from the notes your hitting to the rythm your delivering the syllables with and the raw words. But after a year or two of rapping while playing acoustic guitar (the guitar resonates the notes againt your chest and makes it much easier to hit the note), and hard pratice, I got decent control of my voice and am improving much quicker.
I can imagine the rythm and melody in my head as I write now. Pratice pratice pratice is the main thing.
But does your voice need to be perfect anyways? IMO its about the feeling of your voice and the message of your words.

I hope there's something helpful in there for ya :D
I love to laugh like I love to write, which is only slightly more than I love to play guitar. Which is half as much as I love to play drums.

;D

KEROUAC1957

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 09:15:44 PM »
Thanks for all the responses. It's been useful.

I'm sort of wondering was there something specific that prompted you to ask?

Sorry if thats a bit rambling but hope it helps.

:)
Neil

I think the reason I asked is that I had a song and I had a few different melody ideas for the chorus but wasn't sure which one to go with. So it just occurred to me that it's hard to judge what a good vocalist will do with a melody.

anthonyceseri

• Busker
    • Success For Your Songs
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 03:44:49 PM »
I've always had problems envisioning my songs as I'm not a very good singer. I was thinking about this recently and I wondered how other non singers get around this. When you write a song how do you know there is enough scope in the song for a really good vocalist to get their vocal chops around? I mean I think I can judge a good melody but I sometimes wonder what a vocalist can do with the melody.

Also without having good vocal abilities how do you get the song across?

You can try laying out your melodies on a piano or guitar and then working with a vocalist to capture the right energy you're looking for.

makingasong

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 09:01:41 AM »
Well, you could try playing the notes of the song on your instrument of your choice, figuring out the width.

Or you could simply try yelling really loud.

If the melody is good enough  and the chorus isn't lower than the rest of the song you should be fine, doing some key changing.

Paul Raz
http://www.makingasong.com/

KEROUAC1957

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 01:06:28 PM »
Well, you could try playing the notes of the song on your instrument of your choice, figuring out the width.

Or you could simply try yelling really loud.

If the melody is good enough  and the chorus isn't lower than the rest of the song you should be fine, doing some key changing.

Paul Raz
http://www.makingasong.com/

Ok I'll try yelling really loud. Thanks.
Are you serious?   ;D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 01:09:26 PM by KEROUAC1957 »

darreldo

• Open Mic
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 07:46:27 PM »
i can't sing to save my life but i just use my capo on my guitar to get my point across with some kind of respectability.
i think singing is a real skill, i sometimes get mad when people who can sing are too lazy to learn an instrument and be twice as good!