Writing music to your lyrics...?¿

• 1 Replies

Iron Keys

• Busker
« on: March 23, 2012, 10:00:48 PM »
Well I'll start with a big fat first hello to you all!

HELLO!

I'm a music producer, recently been trying to get into songwriting (in every aspect) a bit more seriously recently.

For my first post here, I'm just looking for general advice regarding writing music to your own lyrics, and what may prove most useful in helping me improve!

When emotional times / inspiration hits, I often manage to write down a few opening lines to a verse or a chorus idea down, usually sung in my head to a certain tune or melody. When trying to write the music to this, it tends to come out wayyy too bland if I can even find the right notes/chords that are in my head.

I don't typically have problems coming up with a hook/melody when composing, however when it comes to writing something to the lyrics, I find some difficulty. With what I'm writing now, it seems to be I can't find the right chord/s to match. I've tried playing a few chords on piano/guitar (not too great by any means at playing these, but I'm practising), but seem to have trouble finding something to suit.

If I *could* sing, I'd simply sing it in tune, then work it out that way round. Would learning to sing be a good way forward?

What are your suggestions.

Thanks.
Iron Keys ~ Franky Charm
Producer / Songwriter
Facebook
Twitter @IronKeys
SoundCloud

HillbillyJim

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 02:23:22 AM »
Howdy!

In terms of working out what's 'in your head', I think a good way to start might be trying to figure out some of your favourite melodies by the so-called professionals on guitar / piano / instrument of choice. I tend to find it quite instructive anyway - and you'll probably find bits of these melodies start to creep into your own whether you force it or not :) .

For writing to a lyric, I have to say, it's not something I do, I always have the music first... When you've got a lyric, it might be worth putting it to one side and coming up with an interesting chord progression irrespective of it, and trying to bash the two together by fiddling with how many beats you sit on each chord for. I tend to find an interesting chord progression leads to an interesting melody anyway. When I've got a progression I like to get my computer to spit midi chords at me and try to improvise a melody on guitar / hum one / conceive in my imagination etc. and with a bit of patience you'll land on something you like eventually.  

If you're determined to write a 'naked' melody to a lyric, all I can really suggest is practice. Again playing your favourite melodies 'naked' and ideally working out what it is you like about them will help. If you know/ can learn music theory, actually putting chords on a decent melody is very straightforward... you can do it rigorously following rules such that you know it'll sound 'harmonious', if not necessarily great, every single time. Of course, there's always millions of possibilities, and some of them are better than others... Sometimes I think of it like putting a puzzle together. It's just practice, honestly :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 02:59:07 AM by HillbillyJim »
"I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour,
But Heaven knows I'm miserable now.
I was looking for a job, and then I found a job.
And Heaven knows I'm miserable now."