‘Our Town’, with Melusine2, PaulAds & PompeyJazz

• 27 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2021, 01:31:15 PM »
@MichaelA - Really like this song. I especially like the Ricky bass and the choice of chords. A refreshing take on the original.

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2021, 06:57:28 AM »
Love the lyrics, very relatable! A solid write and performance and overall very enjoyable. A few notes:
I know from experience that finding a suitable key when doing duets may be difficult, perhaps the key is a little high for Ces Sile to be comfortable? Vox seems to lack a little "body" but that could also be a production thing e.g. a too heavy handed eq and/or compression that gives a slightly "scooped" sound to the vox. Or perhaps a combination of both?
Is that a Rick bass? At least it sound very Ricky for good and bad, perhaps a little too much punch/attack to suite the track? Maybe some compression to back off the attack a little?
The snare sound like it is very heavily compressed as do the kick which does not quite fit the track imo.
Anyway, all this are technical stuff and does not take anything away from the qualities of the song and of course my own very subjective and personal opinions.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2021, 04:55:25 PM »
Cor blimey...I seem to have somehow missed out on commenting on this one while I was away...I felt sure I'd had my say on it...

I loved the song as soon as I heard it.

I did have reservations about it being done as a duet...and how I thought it'd be almost impossible for our amazing French singer to put some rollers in her hair, nip down to the off-licence for a bottle of stout with a fag in the corner of her gob and still sound fabulous...but I think she did a great job.

I was grateful just to be part of it.

It was funny doing a collab like this, because I'd gone off and recorded the guitars and bass along with a drum track that was too heavy and busy to suit the song...and so the drums had to be replaced...so you're hearing me playing my parts to a different drum track...which is maybe why it isn't particularly sympathetically played.

That's my excuse anyway.

It's a fab story that really pulls at the heart strings...and it's a great song!

Well done to all involved.

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2021, 11:07:31 AM »
lovely song
well done fellas n miss!
i don't know the original
it's like a novel
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2021, 01:58:28 PM »
WOW............sounds like you three had some fun. Great production of a very good song.
Love it. The duet is awesome!!
                                                      -Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2021, 08:26:49 PM »
I don't want this song to be neglected so thought I'd give it a bump #Our Town ;D

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2021, 08:34:39 PM »
Very bloody funny @Wicked Deeds! I feel like Rick Astley in the Rick-Roll days!  :(  ;)

There's such a thing as overstaying a welcome!

EVERYBODY - DO NOT RESUSCITATE!

My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2021, 08:38:46 PM »
Sorry @MichaelA, I couldn't resist hash tag......... ;D

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2021, 08:42:27 PM »
Cheers for your help @Wicked Deeds!

#OurTown, sink you b*stard!  >:(
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 08:50:31 PM by MichaelA »

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2021, 12:02:10 PM »
#OurTown now trending in Zoom chatrooms across the land. :P

Face it, @MichaelA you're not getting rid of it! :D

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2021, 02:33:26 PM »
Lovely song with a great idea behind it. I think mining those old memories and reflecting on them from different directions is fertile ground for songs.

For me musically it was a little static, I was kind of expecting a dramatic shift at some point, to a new key but thing stayed the same. But perhaps that serves the theme of needing to escape places you have been and done, that don’t let you change.

Though provoking and a really good listen!

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2021, 05:00:02 PM »
I love the "groove" of this song

This is a great example of where an "emotional" vocal really helps a song connect

Great job guys - I got a "Beautiful South" feel, great melodies and structure to the song

There are some really nice production touches - particularly the string pad
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2021, 11:27:53 PM »
OK, well I was expecting this to have sunk by now, bit I do appreciate the kindness of all those that commented.

@cowparsleyman your comment was interesting re the Ricky bass. As a lyrics focussed songwriter this seemed of secondary significance to me. But it just shows the breadth of responses we can expect to get when we put something out. Everybody is listening, each looking from their own niche perspective. But yeah, that bass is cool.

@Jambrains, yes my biggest learning of this project was to practice a key that both singers could excel in. @Melusine2 is one of the best singers I have ever heard, but the chosen key was my choice. In future, if I collaborate again, I will let my partner choose the key!

@PaulAds, well nobody knows that you created a fantastic guitar based alternative to this version. But your collaborators know. Maybe one day this will emerge out in the public domain! 👍

@rightly, yeah I like to hear someone say it was like a novel. I did try to create a bit of an epic tale. Cheers 😉

@IronKnee , great Tom, thanks, yeah it was lovely to work with this crew. We should see more collabs on here, as they never disappoint.

@Wicked Deeds ...just having a bit of fun. But now you have created a MONSTER! 500+ views. When does that ever happen? Rick roll time  ;D

@Sterix , thanks for all your help.  ;D

Good point @tboswell , I think I was focussed on the storytelling. Maybe some of this could have sat in a M8? Thanks anyway.

Thanks @Boydie, glad you appreciated the vibe and the emotion packed into those vocals. Not always easy! 😉

Anyway...night night #OurTown, time to sink and let someone else have a turn  :)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 08:05:16 AM by MichaelA »