"Every Time We Fall" - James Nighthawk

• 33 Replies

zero

• Busker
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2015, 03:08:13 AM »
The violins are captivating. I was hooked on the sound. Good Lyrics, nice crisp vocals, generally A+

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2015, 06:57:18 AM »
Bold lyrical choices which I think will intrigue the listener and gently maintain their attention. There's something folky and ancient about them which seems to reinforce the idea that falling has always been a recurring problem. Certainly got my interest... (and I am a sucker for violins).

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2015, 08:53:19 AM »
Long time since Ive heard a new one from you James. And this was worth waiting for.

Part of the melody reminded me of 'Afternoon Delight' but it was a fleeting similarity. Nice to hear a solid production supporting this song. The strings are really well done. never easy to get a fiddle like that, was it real?

Just before the refrain it sounded so much like you were going for a key change, but it never happened. Tricked me huh?

I just love the arpeggios you played through this. Don't know much about amps and pickups etc, I just know that I really liked the sound you got.

Loverrrrly song .

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2015, 06:54:28 PM »
Thanks to all for the thoughts and comments.

As promised, for those that like to read this stuff:

Production Notes:

Guitar has been discussed: 50s V neck strat reissuse though a Vox AC30, SM57 Beta mic. Mild compression in-the-box

Vocal - neumann TLM in overdub dead room. Reverb send in the box, gentle compression. I stack two compressors and a mild 11K bump in the EQ for "air". 

Bass DI Fender Jazz, warmed up on the lower end but soft in the mix on purpose.

All preamps from Mackie 8 bus mixer. All compressors in Cubase (some T-racks, some native)

The interesting part - the violins. These were recorded in unison. Both musicians were in the vocal booth together, recording into two condenser mics, as a crossed stereo pair. They played at the same time. Pre-production involved me "humming" my requested lines at them. Piotr then played them back, while Flora offered harmony ideas. All very organic, no scores beyond a chord and lyric chart. They both play eastern european folk as well as concert grade classical pieces, and we're very happy to work this way. Suited us both! The mix you hear is all one take, I kept everything. This might explain why it builds rather than appears. Subtle lines in the verses I largely gave them free reign. The only "add" part was the final note in the high ocatve. An idea that come to Piotr on reviewing it.

And other questions, do ask, but I will reply in PM so I don't bump this thread again

JNx
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk