"Every Time We Fall" - James Nighthawk

• 33 Replies

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 06:18:20 PM »
Really like the melody here. I'm no folk expert but sounds like it has some classic-sounding folky turns which sound really nice and a pleasure to hear when they come. The repeated last verse lines are a good hook if that's the right word...

The vocal is absolutely smashing and really makes its stamp on the track. So clear and nicely delivered too. Lyrically strong and well put together.

Good fortune meeting those classy violinists indeed!

Great song. I'm off to listen again.

(Those soundcloud tags might be a clue to the amp & guitar I suppose....)
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 06:55:39 PM »
Hi, I really like the song, I think it might have sounded better with an acoustic guitar but I guess that's just a personal foible! The violins work really nicely and the song builds well. Lovely production, especially the vocal.
Nice one!
Cheers
Jamie

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 12:34:38 PM »
Rickenbacker?  :D

DevyE

• Solo Gig
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2015, 01:00:29 PM »
Hi, very nice mellow song, your usual high standard of performance and production and the violins were enjoyable, sounds like something that would be heard on the translantic sessions.

Setting the bar very high a couple of nits for me but I'm probably in minority of one.

I don't like the English language being twisted for a rhyme 'Baeted' and 'Chaeted'. Instead of beat'ed I would have preferred something like "heart defeated" or "heart left defeated" which would ryhme with cheated.
Swapping between I and we made me as a listener lose interest as it was distracting so would have prefered it stay with I.

Just my thoughts but a very nice song and good luck with the album :)

White Fender Strat with noiseless pickups through a Fender Blues Deluxe   :)

Mark Ryan

• Solo Gig
  • Banned user
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2015, 01:34:24 PM »
Right it's obviously a strat and a vox AC30, but that does NOT sound like a strat mate because that's pretty much all I play. So I don't know what kind of pups you have on there but I would suggest they're a bit ballsier than most SC's, maybe Seymour's or even EMG SA's. Either that or you've EQ'd the life out of it to get a much warmer sound

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2015, 02:03:57 PM »
Right it's obviously a strat and a vox AC30, but that does NOT sound like a strat mate because that's pretty much all I play. So I don't know what kind of pups you have on there but I would suggest they're a bit ballsier than most SC's, maybe Seymour's or even EMG SA's. Either that or you've EQ'd the life out of it to get a much warmer sound

Hehe. Yup, cat's outta the bag (totally forgot the Soundcloud #tags!)

It is my 50's style V-Neck strat, on a 2 or 4 position if I recall, with stacked fender noiseless (which I think are stacked hums?) So yup it is warmer than a straightforward "twangy" strat, but I have never thought strats sounds to be "cold". For that I grab my tele!!

Mic was a 57Beta, which also tends to bump the low mids for some warth, that might be something to do with it, along with the AC30 amp settings. But that clean, tipping-over-to-OD sound is very AC30 to my ears (a few others had guessed Vox already :) )

Fun game, if only to see how people perceive these combos after them recording process
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Mark Ryan

• Solo Gig
  • Banned user
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2015, 02:25:12 PM »

Hehe. Yup, cat's outta the bag (totally forgot the Soundcloud #tags!)

It is my 50's style V-Neck strat, on a 2 or 4 position if I recall, with stacked fender noiseless (which I think are stacked hums?) So yup it is warmer than a straightforward "twangy" strat, but I have never thought strats sounds to be "cold". For that I grab my tele!!

Mic was a 57Beta, which also tends to bump the low mids for some warth, that might be something to do with it, along with the AC30 amp settings. But that clean, tipping-over-to-OD sound is very AC30 to my ears (a few others had guessed Vox already :) )

Fun game, if only to see how people perceive these combos after them recording process

It is very AC30 mate but when paired with stacked coils it tends to sound very Gibsonesque, which is what threw me :) As soon as I knew it was a strat I knew the pups had to be high output, so your stacked coils make sense now.
I don't mean the strat is cold, it's just not as mid-rangey due to the coils. With this being stacked coils they act as humbuckers and in the out of phase positions (2&4), this would give a similar sound to a Les Paul or 335 in the middle position, hence why I was thrown, especially coupled with an AC30.
I use a 335 into a Fender Blues Deluxe on 1 of the tracks on my new album and the sound is very similar so straight away that's where my brain was going :)

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2015, 12:08:40 PM »
Hi James,

Lovely song with a smooth vocal. The violins are great.

I would have gone Gibson for the guitar as well - sounds just like my LP through the clean channel of a Marshall (not cranked up too loud).

Digger

Kristupas

• Busker
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2015, 07:31:27 PM »
Why violins sound so nasal ?
I mean not always, but from time to time ...

Too monotonic, I mean lyrics are well written...
But you could have played with your voice more, (of course your voice is well-developed, I can hear that)
for instance,
when you sang the refrain "every time....., every time we fall" ,
maybe make it, well I don't know your vocal capacities,
but make it different, it was too monotonic for my ears..

Cheers

sarepaar

• Busker
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2015, 12:20:34 AM »
Lovely song! Very relaxing with beautiful vocals, I love the violins in it and the simple melody. I however do agree with thebutcher about those little part of the vocals. But other than that it is beautiful!

Also I have never heard anyone pronounce the words in the first verse like that. What is the reason for that? It is not typical for any british accent right? Or am I missing something? Sounded a bit weird to me but that might be because English is not my first language.

Homeless Recluse

• Open Mic
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2015, 09:51:42 AM »
Lovely song and great production. I agree, would of liked to hear an acoustic but a minor crit. Other than that, simply 'class'  :)

Good luck with the album, bud.

Pete

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2015, 03:21:17 PM »
Mmmm...sweet. Lovely combination of violins, guitar and vocals. Straight forward, clean and unfussy production and a subtle, heartfelt and believable delivery.

This is mature, confident song writing but it's still very personal and intimate.

Very nice indeed.

M

Thieves Like US

• Busker
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2015, 06:57:59 PM »
Hi James,

Lovely tune, excellent lyrics and great arrangement and clarity of recording, love the warmth of the voice and especially the rhythm guitar (don't really care how you did it the result is great) ditto for the violins.

As another poster has already commented I also did not like the audible in-breaths in your voice. It was the only thing that put me off. I understand from your response that it is an artistic choice, one I respect but for me it jarred and made me enjoy the track about half as much as I would have otherwise. I am only mentioning it again because I felt it so strongly while listening.

All the best with you album
Steven (Thieves Like Us)

Dogmax

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2015, 10:37:43 PM »
Ive listening to this a few times and its a beautiful song James but sometimes on the lyric lines it sound like you're trying to hard, maybe thats okay on recording for some but just wondering have you recorded this live at anytime.

If not maybe do that next time its just that there is something different in the way you sing some lyric lines from what i heard from you in the past.

Beautiful song James.

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2015, 11:50:49 PM »
lovely arrangmnt james.
them kind ladies done you proud, adds a beautiful texture ..well done you
nice feel to the song comes across sincere.. vocals tenderand affecting, works perfect altho im not keen on the vocal a'fects' as mentioned but its all about taste and id second wickeds suggestion about second or harmony voc but no matter..
fine work

did you only do the one song with them or more on the album ?
i did hear a rumour from somewhere that there was another ‘nighthawk’ long player available..
good luck with it ..

i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1