konalavadome

"Edge Of Never"

• 37 Replies

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2012, 09:14:07 PM »
i much prefer your rock stuff paul this is probly my least favorite of your songs ive heard
 i thought it was to long for a pop song & if pop means current pop then it didnt sound current at all the vocals dont have the modern sound /the kick drum was  weak & a bit annoying / & the melody was like a pop melody from the 70s
i dont know why people are saying its so good your rock stuff is so much better
im sorry to sound a bit negative but people here are not giving you the same message as the the publisher so i am trying to say why youve got that rejection letter :)
give us some rock man!
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2012, 09:36:02 PM »
Sorry I didn't get back sooner PAUL - my t'internet has been down and my laptop has been playing up  :'(

How to you pitch your songs?  Do you pay to pitch or send  unsolicited demoes to artists/publishers/A&R/record companies?

I considered signing up for something like TAXI (a paid for pitching service) but I didn't have enough material to pitch so I thought I would wait until I had a substantial catalogue of songs to call upon

My current publisher "contact" came about from a solicited pitch

The initial pitch was unsuccessful but the publisher liked my stuff so there was an opportunity to work with the publisher on a "consultancy" basis - i.e I pay around £90 for 3 months "consultancy"

I initially saw this as a scam and nearly dismissed it but after doing a little research I thought it was worth a punt

It has been extremely worthwhile and I have receivd some invaluable industry feedback on my songs - as well as getting "real life" pitches

I have already got more than my money's worth and it has completely changed my approach to trying to write commercial "hits"

I obviously want to play some cards close to my chest in a public forum but PM me if you want any more info  ;)

Thanks TINA

I also prefer the rock stuff but I am trying to "modernise" my writing to be contemporary, which is key to getting a song published these days

The KICK was my attempt at using a more modern, "electric", sound and I agree it doesn't cut it

I do think the song itself is quite "solid" (the publisher even liked the song itself) but the point is that publishers want to hear the "finished product" - and I agree a more modern sounding vocal and production would have helped loads

JAMES is spot on when he says you can only get so far with "home grown" production but if you are pitching you will probably need that pro studio "shine"

give us some rock man!

I may need to blast some cobwebs out before I focus on the pop again so may need some "rock therapy"... ;D
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2012, 08:50:19 AM »
Nice performance...
I know that you are totally into pop music and writing a hit for a boy band would be excellent (correct me if I'm wrong?)...So I'm going to try and judge it as if that was also my aim.
I could totally see the next x factor winner belting this out :) It's got a suitably catchy, big chorus. I think it loses a bit of direction around the solo and middle 8, but I think that part could also easily be re-written to something much more catchy if you bring in a partner or something (most big pop writers seem to be a pair or team of writers anyway :) )
You said you wanted something more contemporary and less of a guitar song. I dont think you quite achieved. It still sounds like a bit of guitar song to me, just with some piano thrown in and the synthy drum beat. TBH, I dont think that drum beat works. I cant comment on the production and mix as Im just listening on ear buds, but the bass drum (that sounds like it has a bit of gated sine wave in it) doesnt really fit well for me.

Great performance, catchy pop song :)

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2012, 10:31:07 PM »
Sorry I didn't get back sooner PAUL - my t'internet has been down and my laptop has been playing up 

How to you pitch your songs?  Do you pay to pitch or send  unsolicited demoes to artists/publishers/A&R/record companies?

I considered signing up for something like TAXI (a paid for pitching service) but I didn't have enough material to pitch so I thought I would wait until I had a substantial catalogue of songs to call upon

My current publisher "contact" came about from a solicited pitch

The initial pitch was unsuccessful but the publisher liked my stuff so there was an opportunity to work with the publisher on a "consultancy" basis - i.e I pay around £90 for 3 months "consultancy"

I initially saw this as a scam and nearly dismissed it but after doing a little research I thought it was worth a punt

It has been extremely worthwhile and I have receivd some invaluable industry feedback on my songs - as well as getting "real life" pitches

I have already got more than my money's worth and it has completely changed my approach to trying to write commercial "hits"

I obviously want to play some cards close to my chest in a public forum but PM me if you want any more info 

Thanks Boydie  :)

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2012, 06:39:12 PM »
Hey Boydie

This is very nice songwriting, well crafted, good contrast between the sections, memorable melody. It definitely has commercial appeal.

But I'm not sure if the current arrangement is doing the song justice, especially if your aim is to get it picked up by a modern pop artist. To me the arrangement/ production is good, but just a little dated. My ears are telling me it's mostly down to the rhythm section - that's a very 90's rhythm. I'd like to hear it more straight, or dare I say with a hint of R&B feel.

The pushed 2 beat is what I'm referring to.

But like I say - the songwriting is great. The overall impression is like a jam between steely dan/ donald fagin and the waterboys.

Good work mate :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Dutchbeat

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2012, 07:45:23 PM »
ok, having heard all that  ??? ??? ???

send it to the agent of Robbie Williams nevertheless  ;D

and, yes, i will only repeat this message once  ;D

Stars+Pills

• Busker
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2012, 09:08:40 PM »
I haven't listened to it yet but read the lyrics and just want to say I really like the chorus (and the title) of this song...

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2012, 08:40:03 PM »
good tune , i can hear tom petty in there , nice guitar solo bit also .  ;D
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!