CU Next Tuesday, M8

• 23 Replies

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« on: February 29, 2020, 10:48:43 AM »
This was something I threw together for FAWM in one day. I used Simon Phillips drum loops and I either completely overdid the use of Autotune on my vocal or I used the Mac "narrator" function again.

It's just a bit of fun...although I am, i suppose, still quite an angry - though no longer young -  man  :)

Music isn't necessarily all about craft and dedication and perfecting things...sometimes you just want to spit something into the gutter.

CU Next Tuesday, M8

A bookmarked shortcut
For those who cannot wait
Or cannot quite decide
Who to love and who to hate
Either way we’ve got it covered
No need to contemplate
From the seal of approval
To them sealing your fate
They’ll be happy to destroy you
You can just evaporate

CU Next Tuesday, M8

From the salt of the earth
To the salt on your wounds
The milk can so quickly turn sour
It was great while it lasted
From bestie to bastard
All over in less than an hour
It's beginning to grate
Let's get two things straight

CU Next Tuesday, M8

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 04:00:59 PM »
Hi
Absolutely flipping brilliant loved the earworm guitar riff against a great drum track and the cryptic lyrics delivered in that wonderful  officious managerial style , very original .I really think you should develop this one further.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 05:45:18 PM »
Always spend a bit of time reading your lyrics before listening to your tunes @PaulAds  as they are always top class in terms of life observations. A great comment on the wacky world of social media, thumbs up / down, smileys and frowny faces and the like. I've been trying to do a bit of social media promotion recently and it's a jungle out there. This song just sums it up so well and the "narrator" always floors me with the oh so straight delivery. Don't know how you come up with some of these Paul. Well done on biting the bullet with FAWM. It sounds like you've dug up some real gems  :)

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 09:33:59 AM »
@PaulAds - Absolutely brilliant, Paul, never heard anything like this before, superb work.

It would be an insult to even suggest any changes.

Rich

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 08:44:28 PM »
This is really fun. Not at all what I was expecting from the lyrics. See, now this is a cool way to use autotuning. I am not against it in this circumstance as it's for a creative purpose. Excellent song, well done.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 09:36:33 PM »

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 10:17:43 PM »
Ah here - I thought you were writing a song about songwriting (I really did think from the title that it was about the struggles of writing a good bridge / Middle 8!!  ::) ::)

Very original... love the use of the narrator Fn or whatever you meant by that.. Are you sure that isn't you though??  ;D ;D ;D And the track is catchy as hell!

Absolutely fabliss!!!

K

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 09:29:29 AM »
I'm guessing there is an election coming up in the U.K.? 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 10:16:55 AM »
Great riffage and guitar tone - Could easily be an instrumental. Love Simon Phillips and use his stuff often too...

I take the point about FAWM, lots of ideas and no overthinking, but I was kind of left with the feeling that this wasn't totally finished... So I wasn't sure about the narrator guy - I think the lyrics might come over better sung. Still there's nothing that says you couldn't reuse them if wished - and I definitely did like them or I wouldn't be putting in my 2p.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 11:23:50 AM »
Ta...to be honest, I'm not really into (or capable of) playing widdly guitar, so a more expansive guitar thing was a bit beyond me for this...and the lyric was so flippant, I didn't really want to spend more than a couple of hours on it...so when the riff popped into my head...i just used the lyric idea i was thinking of and used that. I was intending to sing it...but my voice was a bit ropey and I needed to get a song together...so thought i'd use the narrator again...bit of a cop-out, i know...but it always amuses me to hear his delivery. A little bit of Tony Hancock in there, i reckon. Many of my songs aren't my babies...in fact, although i wouldn't necessarily disown them, i would probably attempt to dispute/dodge any maintenance payments.

I honestly think the way he says "CUNextTuesday, M8" is exactly the way i would say it.

Thanks for everyone chipping in  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 02:34:21 PM »
Just to say I really enjoyed the riffing in this. Plus very clever how you got your narrator to scan to the rhythm of the song - his slightly dismissive sounding voice was spot on for the narrative too   ;) Top entertainment, pretty cool to be able to knock that out in a day.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 03:21:37 PM »
Ooh! I had to turn the volume on my PC down for this one. Love the narrator thing - how did you do that? Also love the electric guitar riffing. I've never heard anything like this before and I shouldn't really but I bloody love it. So original, funny and upbeat despite the lyrics. It's genius, I tell you. Genius.

M

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2020, 03:53:47 PM »
You are just too clever by far mate.. ;D lyrics..as always just awesome, guitar riff is stuck in my head, you'll be hearing from my solicitor, can't work on anything because your riff is filling my head all the time... :) 8)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2020, 04:57:59 PM »
Hi Paul, you totally nailed those vocals...spot on.

Are you actually the guy from the mac in disguise on here....lol.

Very inventive dude.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2020, 09:57:24 AM »
Paul, loving the direct focus on this.
The spoken lyrics are so spot on and then you've your grove underneath and the swampy guitar motif.
Top job.
Hope you've recovered from FAWN. Do tell how you got on and what you've learnt maybe in the Bar?
:-)
neil
songwriter of no repute..