Rebirth (Collab)

• 16 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« on: February 01, 2024, 07:56:11 AM »
Hi All, This is a song that has recently been completed as a collaboration with 2 French Musicians (Brice & Denys) Originally the song was an instrumental. I was chatting to Brice about the theme of the song which paints the scenario of a world ravaged by war and destruction and imagining how a new generation would pick up the pieces and create something more peaceful and sustainable.

I wrote some lyrics and did vocals and bass, then added some strings and a little bit of extra guitar and produced the song. It's another style of song for me and I have really enjoyed working with the others to bring this to fruition.

I hope that you enjoy the listen - At 5 minutes long it's a bit on the lengthy side but it's not aimed at anything vaguely commercial !

V1

The world was parched
We had to start anew
Searched that barren land
And sunlight filtered through

This is out earth
This is our rebirth
As we plan for our future

V2

Nothing is going to come easy
We're not prepared to fail
We'll keep on moving forward
Lift your heavy veil

Now we've got the time
For our own design
Making plans for the children

Solo 1

V3
Don't look back
You've got to move it on
We trust in you
The hope is never gone

I know that you'll get it right
It won't happen overnight
Building trust in the future

Solo 2

Outro

Oh – This is our rebirth
This is a brand new earth
This is a rebirth
Our special earth
We'll fight, we'll fight
'Cos we've got the right
Re-birth
Re-birth
Re-birth
Re-birth

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2024, 10:10:46 AM »
Guitar is very neat.
Refreshingly, positive message,
I've been caught up with dark energy lately
A really nice intro
Still sounds hands on, scappy and passionate. 👏
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

Theresa

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2024, 10:16:15 AM »
What a nice theme to sing about (there is a sense of hope despite everything). I feel the same about the song, it is nice, sweet and with a sense of hope. I love how the keyboard(? sorry I still have a hard time picking on instruments) carries you through the song with its melody, it really sounds good on top of everything.

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2024, 03:36:51 PM »
@pompeyjazz  Nice strings in the intro, has a feeling of longing. Nice lyrics, hopeful! Melody is good, although it feels like you need to make more space for your vocal, as it competes a little with the soundtrack?  Very good album track that you can really settle in to.

Kevin

Whiskey Club

• Open Mic
    • Whiskey Club
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2024, 09:43:07 AM »
It’d be interesting to hear if you guys do more collaborative work.  I really like this track but I have a feeling that you only scratched the surface of what you could do together.  Probably not commercial but artistically this is exciting.

Cheers - John.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2024, 11:50:26 AM »
Darkness pervades....but there's light at the end of the tunnel, I think that's what the lyrics are about, this is a long way from your last song but that's fairly typical innit!! :) 8) aint no genre gonna hold you back my friend.. fine work.
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Elvis Nash

• Solo Gig
  • https://nashvillecalifornia.com/listen-page/
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2024, 03:06:04 AM »
Hey pompeyjazz
Yeah the world will keep reinventing itself for sure
sold track man , your becoming a master on productions
Great job !!!

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2024, 07:49:25 AM »
Great production John, really full with those strings and what a positive message.  As Kev said, maybe the vocal is fighting a little for it's own space but great work.
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2024, 07:20:21 PM »
I am always a fan of optimistic views, so I really like this. It fits with my personal beliefs and philosophy. I'd love to hear more on this theme. The music is great, too, of course.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2024, 10:35:43 PM »
Hello John, @pompeyjazz

This is very beautiful.  Your voice has never sounded better and what a soundscape.  I'm listening on my phones which are very good quality and so I'm trying to work out the panning of guitars.  The guitars are in my opinion crying out to be panned further right.  The parts that you are playing are lovely and your eq work is stellar.  I'm just hearing a different balance in the sound spectrum.  Increase the volume of the sax too.  I've found myself listening several times, for all of the right reasons.  It's stunning!

Now that I've got that off my chest, all that is left to say is that this is simply gorgeous!  You're flying the flag; showing everyone how it should be done!

Paul
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 11:26:00 PM by Wicked Deeds »

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2024, 11:11:53 PM »
Your vocals stand out for me on this track. I like the sentiments of the lyrics. The instrumentation is a bit special too. A great track track. No crits from me. :)

Nick Ryder

• Solo Gig
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2024, 07:40:23 PM »
@pompeyjazz

Nice one, John.

You I’m back from Warrington now so will get back into it and I’ll speak to you about this song too 😄

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2024, 09:15:23 PM »
Thank you all so much guys. I’ve passed all of your comments onto the guys in France and we’re very chuffed by all of the positive comments and also the suggestions. Thank you 🤩

Maya Clars

• Solo Gig
  • Follow me on Instagram (@mayaclars)
    • mayaclars.com
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2024, 12:55:04 PM »
@pompeyjazz

Serious lyrics, serious melody.
I hear a slight desync in the mix between the bass and drums, but maybe I'm wrong and that's part of the musical idea. :)

Maya