Music making equipment/program advice

• 5 Replies

shucky2011

• Busker
« on: November 01, 2011, 03:03:14 PM »
Hiya, I am looking for advice with regards to recording and developing my songs at home.  At the moment all i have is a pc, a basic microphone and an electric and acoustic guitar. But I am looking for advice on how best to record vocals and guitar (ie how to set up mics and compressors etc) and what programs would allow me to add drums and strings as well as other instruments to my songs.  Any advice would be very welcome.

Dutchbeat

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 04:13:53 PM »
i don't know what your basic mic is...but if it is not a condenser mic (probably it is...? then discard this post), you may want to look at those first. they are very affordable nowadays and if you would not be using one you will love what it does to your (acoustic) recordings with vocals

Pescatore

• Busker
    • Martin Pescatore
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 03:41:14 PM »
Try these links - SOS magazine (and web site is an absolute goldmine of info)

Using a compressor - http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct09/articles/qa1009_2.htm
recording vocals - http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun09/articles/qa0609_4.htm
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun06/articles/voxrecording.htm

Recording guitar
Electric  http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan09/articles/loudelectricguitar.htm
Acoustic   http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr10/articles/acguitar.htm

My top tip for vocals is record it a few times - it's all down to the performance really

P

DailyDean

• Busker
  • I'm Dean and I'm mean
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 04:49:36 PM »
If you're looking to record guitar. You could start at going direct with hardware like theLine 6 Pods or software like  Amplitube and Guitar Rig, although it depends on how much you want to spend. This would probably be cheaper than buying mics and amps etc. and you get alot more options and tones out of these. Check out some youtube videos for examples.

Not sure how far you want to go professionally. My mate managed to get a pretty cheap two hour professional course using Logic on the Groupon website although I'm not sure what stuff they've got now. But really if you're looking for lessons as such, youtube is your best bet. I managed to find some videos that helped me with sampling on GarageBand.

Personally, my setup's pretty basic. I use an iMic to plug my guitar into my mac, then I use GarageBand's own built-in amp settings. I think generally most popular recording software comes with their own amp simulators but they may not be as diverse as the one's mentioned above. Obviously you want to check their features. For vocals I just borrow my dad's mic from his video camera and plug that into the iMic. The quality's not great, but it filters out any surrounding sounds quite nicely.

If you want to start SUPER cheap, you could use a mic you use for skype or something and record it on to Audacity which is completely free and open source. It also has some good audio editing features.

Overall, it depends on how much you want to spend. You can start cheap and work your way up once you're comfortable with the recording process. These are just some basic tips obviously, I myself am a bit of an amateur composer/recorder and I'm starting with a relatively small and minimalist set up. I plan to move up once I feel professional enough :D, especially on my budget.

Edit: Oh, the pinned threads above should have some useful stuff too. The one's titled "Cheap Recording tips".
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 04:38:43 PM by DailyDean »

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 10:06:59 AM »
Drum sequencer for PC.
"Hydrogen"
 It's open source (so free) and there is lot's of tutorials and sound-samples for it out in web-land.

There is a "windows"  :-[ version available. http://en.utilidades-utiles.com/download-hydrogen.html
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 10:42:35 AM »
It's easiest to setup your stuff (and easiest to give advice) if we know what kind of music you are going to make. Obviously the equipment needed for electronica is different than indie, but even within 1 genre - if you are just going to produce acoustic, singer/songwriter songs than the sound of the acoustic is paramount and you would need to pay attention to it. If the acoustic guitar is just always gonna be rhythm guitar in a dense mix, then it's not as important.

Do you have an audio interface? This is beyond necessary..
As for mics, small diaphragm condensers (SDC's) work very well with acoustics, especially in a stereo pair.  Large diaphragm condensers are often used. Dynamic mics dont have a large enough frequency response to pick up all the tonalities of an acoustic. I often read that ribbon mics give a very natural sound, but they are typically very expensive...

By far the biggest impact on the sound of your ac. guitar (apart from the performance) will be the room. It will be necessary to treat the room in whatever way you can. There's tonnes of stuff on SoS about it. The idea is not necessary to 'kill' the reverb in your room, but to even it out and generally make the room sound nice. The biggest problem is usually bass build up (especially in small rooms like bedrooms) and bass traps on the corners are usually necessary.

With setting up mics for the guit, best is to experiment. Having the mic about a foot away from the guitar will give a natural sound. This will also pick up a lot of the sound of the room and if the room doesnt sound good...
You can reduce the sound of the room by moving the mic closer to the guitar, however, the closer you get, the more you get the 'proximity' effect whereby the relative level of low tones is increased - the guitar becomes to sound more boomy.
Also experiment with adjusting the lateral position of the mic. I tend to mic my guitars with the mic pointed more towards the 12th fret and not the sound hole - the sound hole can be too boomy, and the closer you get to the bridge the more harsh sounding it gets.

With electric guitar, I find the best way is almost always to mic the amp - a dynamic mic like an sm57 works well. If you do DI the electric then there are lots of amp simulators out there which are prett good. Stuff like Waves' GTR.

It all depends on how much you want to spend. But if you do have something to spend, I would do these things first:
1. Treat the room. Go on to the auralex website and go to support -> room analysis. You can upload a diagram of your room and get a free analysis of what needs to be done (and of course, all the products of theirs you should buy). If you have time I would build your own bass traps and acoustics with rockwool/plywood. It is A LOT (more than ten times I'd say) cheaper. Here are some great instructions:
http://www.ethanwiner.com/basstrap.html

2. Get an audio interface (if you dont have one). The most important thing here is how many inputs and outputs do you want (If you are multitracking, you might say, well just 1 - but I would go for 2 to be safe. What happens when you get another mic and want to put 2 mics on your guitar? Or if you want to play guitar and sing at the same time?. Audio interfaces are updated as much as computers, which means they go for very cheap 2nd hand. I got a 12 input/output Layla 24 from ebay for £80. It's a high-end interface that went for £500 new.

3. Get a condenser mic (if you dont have one already). Good budget ones would include the rode nt1-a, rode m3, audio-technica at2002 or something. Again the 2nd hand market can be useful, I often see the following high-end mics go for much cheaper on ebay:
Neumann tlm103
Shure sm81
AKG 414