konalavadome

Waterloo East

• 24 Replies

jamesh

• Open Mic
« on: January 15, 2017, 11:16:05 AM »
Hi All

This song was inspired by the dubious pleasure of the daily commute and what might be going on in the minds of those standing at the platform. Though they doing the same journey every day, do they actually know where they are going (in life). Much the same questions I ask my self! Some faces may tell a story, some not. Im not suggesting everybody is unhappy, but a few could do with a little help.

Im quite pleased with the overall arrangement, particularly the drums which were programmed from scratch. The arrangement involves a number of different competing synth sounds so I hope Ive got that right.

I love to hear your feedback on it. Ive spend a long time tweaking EQ, compression and effects so Im hoping Im getting somewhere in that area too. I wasnt trying to write commercial track particularly but Id be interested to know where you think it sits?

Thanks

James

https://soundcloud.com/james-homewood/waterloo-east

Waterloo East

Verse 1

Sad faces like silent statues in the crowd
Your eyes open, you're a lost soul waiting to be found
How did you find yourself here today?
Sporting that thousand mile stare, dreaming of the answer, some might say.

Chorus

When your journey is uncertain, And you're life is on repeat
Let my arms surround you, help you get back on your feet
When you're feeling kind of lifeless as you face another day
On that unfamiliar journey, let me help you find your way

Verse 2

Dark morning and the rain runs down the glass
I want to fix you, but I am too afraid to ask.
Do you know where you'll be, tomorrow
And one glance in those eyes, it's all you'll show to me

Chorus

When your journey is uncertain, And you're life is on repeat
Let my arms surround you, help you get back on your feet
When you're feeling kind of lifeless as you face another day
On that unfamiliar journey, let me help you find your way

Mono Stone

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 04:12:22 PM »
I think this is a fantastic song.

Great groove to it! Makes me move, can't help it...and that's the test isn't it...

I love it when you go high in the chorus... but your vocal is maybe mixed a touch too quiet and generally sounds a bit distant. Also the vocal sounds a bit thin for the track maybe...do you EQ a LOT of the lows off? I think the vocal sound could be more present, and slightly deeper. But I really like your voice and with a bit of polish in production I think those highs would make it absolutely killer!!!

Great melody.

oh and... when the song starts it has a vibe/groove which reminded me of Wrote For Luck...and I love that groove...this isn't the same at all, but it put it in my head. Great bass.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 04:15:24 PM by Mono Stone »

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 04:47:30 PM »
Hi James,

I won't be able to respond to the production side of your piece, as I haven't figured out how to do that stuff at all yet.

I can say, though, I like your lyric a lot and I think the melody line goes with it perfectly. I like the sound of the production, as well, although I sometimes had trouble hearing your voice very well. I really enjoyed the harmonies and the smooth, almost ethereal? mood of the sound all the way through. Your sound is very consistent. My favorite line: "when your life is on repeat". Clever. :)

I have only one little bitty nit, and it's based on my personal bias in favor of "clean" vocals. I don't like hearing things like "dontchew", "wontchew".... So, I would prefer hearing you sing "And your life...." instead of "Andjore life..." and "Let my arms surround you" instead of "Let my arms surroundjew" and "let me help you find your way" instead of the "let me help you findjore way"...that kind of thing. I know a lot of people are not concerned by it, but I think it's important for clarity and a "clean" sound.

Overall, I like it.

Vicki

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 08:49:05 PM »
Great job James. It's strong song. Good layering. Agree with MonoStone. You should bring the lead vocals forward a bit in the mix. I would also see how it sounds slightly faster. It's nice and moody as it is but a bit long at nearly 5 minutes. I would try and shave a minute off and speeding it up is the quickest and most obvious way to do it. That's just my opinion though so feel free to ignore!

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 10:48:47 AM »
Hi James,

reminds me of the Pet Shop Boys, definitely a good thing. I had no problems with the vocal in the mix, it sorta goes with the lyrics, someone on life's treadmill, not in control.

My only small gripe is over the word "lifeless". My brain was singing "useless" for some reason. It seems to sit better with the sentiments of the song. Someone who wants something more than Waterloo East every day but hasn't got the strength to change it.

Feel free to ignore me if you disagree.

Keith

TimCurtis

• Open Mic
  • Zendium Moon Logo
    • Zendium Moon on Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 01:51:06 PM »
Another great song - can't believe how much good stuff gets posted on this forum.  I like the electronic production - resonating arpeggiater and filtered synth.  Rises and falls in the right places and your vocals sound good - like the way you've double tracked in places.  Whilst it's quite long, I don't see that as an issue as it kept me hooked all the way through.

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 03:40:39 PM »
This is really, really good. I love the production and overall sound - electronica and synths is something I know little about, but I do know this sounds great. Held my attention all the way through, which when you are clocking in at around the five minute mark requires extra skill. And boy, does it bring back depressing memories of commuting, thankfully back in the past for me now - and yet, you still manage to make it a positive message with hope, along with a pretty tune.

I agree with most of the others in think that with a little more judicious compression on the vocals you could bring them a little further forward, but to be honest that's a tiny point because this is a great mix and production.

jamesh

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 04:50:01 PM »
Thank you all for the positive comments. It has been a journey to get it to this stage, and after listening to it and tweaking it so many times, my ears dont hear it the same as you guys!

Mono Stone

I love it when you go high in the chorus... but your vocal is maybe mixed a touch too quiet and generally sounds a bit distant. Also the vocal sounds a bit thin for the track maybe...do you EQ a LOT of the lows off? I think the vocal sound could be more present, and slightly deeper. But I really like your voice and with a bit of polish in production I think those highs would make it absolutely killer!!!

I found the audio was already clipping, and I wasnt sure how to turn everything else down automatically without loosing all the levels. My voice is already quite thin, so I dont cut the low, but it also doesnt cut through unless I add EQ to the high end stuff. I added chorus and loads of delay to add some depth and cover up the dodgy singing!

Vicki

I have only one little bitty nit, and it's based on my personal bias in favor of "clean" vocals. I don't like hearing things like "dontchew", "wontchew".... So, I would prefer hearing you sing "And your life...." instead of "Andjore life..." and "Let my arms surround you" instead of "Let my arms surroundjew" and "let me help you find your way" instead of the "let me help you findjore way"...that kind of thing. I know a lot of people are not concerned by it, but I think it's important for clarity and a "clean" sound.

Thanks for the comments on the lyrics and the singing. Due to suffering from the very very irritating asthma, I actually really struggle to sing without coughing after every phrase! I have to record mutiple takes just to get a good one thats in tunes and doesnt sound like a strangled cat. Off course theres bad technique in there as well and "findjore" is an example of that!

Keith

reminds me of the Pet Shop Boys, definitely a good thing. I had no problems with the vocal in the mix, it sorta goes with the lyrics, someone on life's treadmill, not in control.

My only small gripe is over the word "lifeless". My brain was singing "useless" for some reason. It seems to sit better with the sentiments of the song. Someone who wants something more than Waterloo East every day but hasn't got the strength to change it.

Pet Shop Boys is a comparison I've had before, and one I quite like! Regarding the word "Lifeless" its actually how I felt as I sat on the train writing the lyrics, so for me its more fitting than "useless" although they both fit within the timing of the song and could both work.

Tim

Another great song - can't believe how much good stuff gets posted on this forum.  I like the electronic production - resonating arpeggiater and filtered synth.  Rises and falls in the right places and your vocals sound good - like the way you've double tracked in places.  Whilst it's quite long, I don't see that as an issue as it kept me hooked all the way through.

Thats for your kind words.  I had already cut the intro significantly, and it was difficult to cut any more out because all the bits seamed relevant.

MickyPlankton

Great job James. It's strong song. Good layering. Agree with MonoStone. You should bring the lead vocals forward a bit in the mix. I would also see how it sounds slightly faster. It's nice and moody as it is but a bit long at nearly 5 minutes.

Thanks for your comments. Interesting point on making it faster. Would it loose the laid back groove that it currently has? I might try it just to see what it sounds like, but that would also mean a lot more singing to be done!

Bill Saunders

I agree with most of the others in think that with a little more judicious compression on the vocals you could bring them a little further forward,

Thanks Bill. Compression is still a dark art to me, and one Im only just starting to use. Getting all the levels right, avoiding clipping and getting the EQ right is just as bigger job as getting the sounds recorded in the first place!

Thanks again

James

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 09:18:27 PM »
Hey jamesh.....that always reads like I'm saying it with no teeth in.  :D

Anyroad...wonderful piece of music and one you can rightly be proud of writing.

Despite the electronic production,the underlying melody has a plaintive folk air to it,which I find very compelling.

Great stuff.  8)

Mono Stone

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 10:10:55 PM »
"I added chorus and loads of delay to add some depth and cover up the dodgy singing!"

Your singing isn't dodgy! It's really good! Adding chorus is likely to work against you in terms of making the vocal cut through.

It should be possible to turn everything down so that you can turn the vocals up, especially if you go through mastering stuff after that, but just removing the chorus should make you cut through more anyway...although I honestly didn't notice chorus on the vocal.

Steng

• Open Mic
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 10:49:20 PM »
The verses are superb - fantastic vocals. I wondered how you were going to sing the words when I first read them, but it all goes together really well.  Chuff me! You get up high in the chorus, agree with others, more oomph required on these chorus vocals. Can't you just copy that vocal section and drop onto a couple of new tracks - pan one far left, one far right?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 10:52:34 PM by Steng »

jamesh

• Open Mic
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 10:55:57 PM »
Monostone

It should be possible to turn everything down so that you can turn the vocals up, especially if you go through mastering stuff after that, but just removing the chorus should make you cut through more anyway...although I honestly didn't notice chorus on the vocal.

Actually, Im getting mixed up with another song of mine with loads chorus on it. On this one, its quite minimal. I just checked the compression on the vocal though and it was set to a ratio of 4 (not that I really understand all that) Anyway, I've changed it and the vocals cut through more clearly. Theres a new version  currently uploading to soundcloud, so give it 10 mins.....

James

jamesh

• Open Mic
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 10:59:12 PM »
The verses are superb - fantastic vocals. I wondered how you were going to sing the words when I first read them, but it all goes together really well.  Chuff me! You get up high in the chorus, agree with others, more oomph required on these chorus vocals. Can't you just copy that vocal section and drop onto a couple of new tracks - pan one far left, one far right?

Thats an idea, Ill give it a go!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 12:45:14 PM »
Hi, great synth sounds, a couple of them made me think of Ultravox who were great at this sort of stuff. Your vocal tone is heading more towards Pet shop boys. Really good melody and harmonies, if this was stripped back to a guitar strum it would still sound good!
Good stuff!
Cheers
Jamie

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 12:49:13 PM »
A fab eighties song mate..cannot say no more..just fab!!
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!