Edge Of Alderley

• 15 Replies

Mono Stone

• Busker
« on: January 14, 2017, 03:36:58 PM »
Hello,

I'm new here. Happy New Year (is it too late to say that?)!

I'm not sure what the done thing is here. I hope it's ok to start by posting a recently completed song and see what people think of it? It's just a home recording of course, just what I enjoy doing...

Looking forward to any feedback...and to listening to and commenting on other's work here too.

https://soundcloud.com/monostone-1/edge-of-alderley

Out on Alderley
Blazing in the sun
Hoping on the stone
On the edge of our lives

High on scenery
Over everyone
Never getting old
Screaming this land is mine

Look out
They’re all clawing to
Cope now
They’ll come crawling to
Drag you down

Out there
That’s the future
The sun glares
On the rooftops
And drags you down

We were innocent
Short of evidence
Northern valiance

Every one a golden flame
Making our way
To the sanctuary
Edge of Alderley waits

Look out
They’re all clawing to
Cope now
They’ll come crawling to
Drag you down

Out there
That’s the future
The sun glares
On the rooftops
And drags you down
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 02:12:42 AM by Mono Stone »

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 03:39:32 PM »
Hi, The done thing is to listen and comment on other peeps material before expecting peeps to listen and comment on yours..read the guidelines mate..nice to have you here.. :) :)

welcome to the forum... :) :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 03:42:05 PM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 12:32:28 AM »
I know your name from somewhere else, were you on songstuff ? Or have you been here before under a different name?
I liked the pastoral feel of this..it was quite floaty & I could hear it on a old pink floyd album..
it was very gentle & relaxing like a sunny day ...you should post the lyrics people ,like to read them here & it helps understand the song properly
it had a hypnotic quality & I was realy into it on the second listen
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Mono Stone

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 02:25:35 AM »
Hi, The done thing is to listen and comment on other peeps material before expecting peeps to listen and comment on yours..read the guidelines mate..nice to have you here.. :) :)

welcome to the forum... :) :)

Cheers!

I know your name from somewhere else, were you on songstuff ? Or have you been here before under a different name?
I liked the pastoral feel of this..it was quite floaty & I could hear it on a old pink floyd album..
it was very gentle & relaxing like a sunny day ...you should post the lyrics people ,like to read them here & it helps understand the song properly
it had a hypnotic quality & I was realy into it on the second listen

I'm just getting famous ;) That'll be why... (in my own little world)...or yes, from SS

I posted the words now.

I'm glad you like it, thank you. You're wonderful! I can't imagine it by Pink Floyd but I dunno, I get that comment on a lot of songs and I'll take it!

jamesh

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 02:40:14 AM »
Hi

A lovely dreamy piece and a very nice listen. The verse and Chorus melodies work really well together. I like the lyrics but Im trying to work out what its about. A heavenly place ruined by unwanted visitors perhaps?

Production is great and I noticed the particularly noticed the various effects on the vocals which is an area Im trying to improve on!

4th listen and still enjoying it.....

James

Mono Stone

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 02:56:56 AM »
Hi

A lovely dreamy piece and a very nice listen. The verse and Chorus melodies work really well together. I like the lyrics but Im trying to work out what its about. A heavenly place ruined by unwanted visitors perhaps?

Production is great and I noticed the particularly noticed the various effects on the vocals which is an area Im trying to improve on!

4th listen and still enjoying it.....

James

Thanks James, 4 listens! That made me feel happy :)

It's about a place we used to go in our teens, called Alderley Edge... it was an escape from real life, and since the Edge looks out over Manchester, that was a reminder of real life, which back then was the future. I maybe shouldn't write stuff that only I understand, but it's mostly just me listening, and in this case I wrote it for those old friends to hopefully appreciate too.

In case it's helpful - On the vocals I just used eq, compression and reverb (maybe some delay somewhere too, can't remember). If they sound more effected it's because I sang 3 tracks and layered them (sometimes it's just one track, sometimes 2, sometimes 3).

Thank you for the kind words.

Oldbutyet

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 11:18:19 PM »
Nice one Mono, like the way you put music and vocal giving each their own space, great lyric and music.

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 08:33:57 AM »

Hi

Lovely song.

I know Alderely Edge quite well from my youth.
 Talking about the 50/60's, so it's probably changed
 a lot.  I'm sure the view has ;D  My grandparents
 loved it there....and this bought memories of them
 flooding back....so thanks for that ;D ;D

Great lyrics, beautifully sung.  Especially liked
 the 'high on scenery' verse....memorable ;D

Beautiful, evocative song.

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 11:58:36 AM »
Nice atmospheric piece - bit long winded and self indulgent for my taste but a lot going for it. Album track material - which is shorthand for a bit boring (again a personal taste thing). Production quality seems good after one listen and first impressions are that the song is very well put together. I think a top quality female enya style voice would bring this song into a different league. I think this could be a grower after a few listens.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 01:05:45 PM »
Till now I was convinced Alderley was in the Channel Islands or the Outer Hebrides...

I think it is true that unless you know, then the lyrics don't make a huge amount of sense and I did feel my attention wandering a bit and was wondering if it would develop in a different way. But that maybe isn't the point - I think you achieved what you set out to do - a very atmospheric and evocative piece.

TimCurtis

• Open Mic
  • Zendium Moon Logo
    • Zendium Moon on Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 01:43:07 PM »
Hello and welcome!!

Well this really is rather good.  Nice backing - particularly like the sound you got on the drums and the reverby strings.  Love the way the 2nd guitar comes in and out.  Nice dreamy quality with an envious depth of sound which goes really well with your vocals.  Really like the chord progression too.  My only very small comment would be that adding some backing here and there might add a few more twinkles on to what is already a very good song.

Nice ending! :)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 09:52:35 PM »
Yo Mono. Welcome to here.

Lovely Strawberry Fields feel here,had me reaching for my bong.  8)

A superb,lush and full production,yet all parts retain their distinction. An aural treat.

Dreamy and evocative and quite wonderful.

Aside from all that,I like it.  :D

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 11:15:18 AM »
Hey Mono, welcome!
I know your stuff including this from SS but I don't think I ever got around to comment on this.
Really lush, spacious and well balanced sound. Think the vocals (that fits the song hand in glove) could come up a bit that it could be down to the headphones.

Love the part from 2.38! Personally I'd have liked more of the drums there but that's me...

No more complaints from me, quality stuff, well done!

Mono Stone

• Busker
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2017, 01:51:11 AM »
Nice one Mono, like the way you put music and vocal giving each their own space, great lyric and music.

Thank you!

Hi

Lovely song.

I know Alderely Edge quite well from my youth.
 Talking about the 50/60's, so it's probably changed
 a lot.  I'm sure the view has ;D  My grandparents
 loved it there....and this bought memories of them
 flooding back....so thanks for that ;D ;D

Great lyrics, beautifully sung.  Especially liked
 the 'high on scenery' verse....memorable ;D

Beautiful, evocative song.

Great to hear you know the place. I have visited once since the time this song is about, and the edge was still the same except the entry to the little cave right on the edge was blocked with bars...which looked a mess too. I'm really happy it triggered a memory and glad you liked it :) Thank you.

Nice atmospheric piece - bit long winded and self indulgent for my taste but a lot going for it. Album track material - which is shorthand for a bit boring (again a personal taste thing). Production quality seems good after one listen and first impressions are that the song is very well put together. I think a top quality female enya style voice would bring this song into a different league. I think this could be a grower after a few listens.

Thanks for listening and commenting! I do know the perfect singer to match your suggestion, but this one is kind of personal to me. Never know though...

Till now I was convinced Alderley was in the Channel Islands or the Outer Hebrides...

I think it is true that unless you know, then the lyrics don't make a huge amount of sense and I did feel my attention wandering a bit and was wondering if it would develop in a different way. But that maybe isn't the point - I think you achieved what you set out to do - a very atmospheric and evocative piece.

Maybe there's another one ;) Thanks for listening and giving your thoughts on it. Maybe I achieved that...or maybe nearly.

Hello and welcome!!

Well this really is rather good.  Nice backing - particularly like the sound you got on the drums and the reverby strings.  Love the way the 2nd guitar comes in and out.  Nice dreamy quality with an envious depth of sound which goes really well with your vocals.  Really like the chord progression too.  My only very small comment would be that adding some backing here and there might add a few more twinkles on to what is already a very good song.

Nice ending! :)

Thanks for the welcome. I'm glad you like it. Yeah some more twinkles would be good... More backing vocals? Or something else?

Yo Mono. Welcome to here.

Lovely Strawberry Fields feel here,had me reaching for my bong.  8)

A superb,lush and full production,yet all parts retain their distinction. An aural treat.

Dreamy and evocative and quite wonderful.

Aside from all that,I like it.  :D

Thanks for the welcome. It was absolutely intended to work better with bong! Glad you got that from it and I hope you manage to reach yours if you listen again :) Thanks for the very nice comment!

Hey Mono, welcome!
I know your stuff including this from SS but I don't think I ever got around to comment on this.
Really lush, spacious and well balanced sound. Think the vocals (that fits the song hand in glove) could come up a bit that it could be down to the headphones.

Love the part from 2.38! Personally I'd have liked more of the drums there but that's me...

No more complaints from me, quality stuff, well done!

Hey! And thanks. Yep, I know your stuff too from there...and great stuff it is! In my headphones and monitors the vocal seems really upfront...I think...I will listen again and I'll try listening through other stuff (I should check like that more... I've yet to get the hang of making things sound right on whatever speakers/earphones etc ... drives me crazy trying but I should do more). Glad you like it. Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 01:52:52 AM by Mono Stone »

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 10:53:51 AM »
Hi, very nice production and a simple but effective song and arrangement. I couldn Help but think of pink floyd all through it, which I suppose is a double edged sword. On Beck's last album he created the same sort of vibe, so I guess you can get away with it if you're good enough!
Enjoyed it!
Cheers
Jamie