konalavadome

Twisted Girl - feedback appreciated:)

• 8 Replies

shortwhat

• Open Mic
  • I like reverb
    • Bandcamp
« on: January 02, 2017, 04:20:32 PM »
This song is about a girl who is twisted, explained in the title haha:)

I'd love some feedback and stuff:)

https://darknesssounds.bandcamp.com/track/twisted-girl

LYRICS:

she's got two barrels and she'll spare you one
she'll have you lost in liquor and she'll set you up to be the next big maybe in her life

she'll love you lightly and she'll soon be gone
she says, "just like your favourite song I'll be the best three minutes of your life"

but don't you dare forget her, until she's forgotten you
she will be most displeased

she's got a knot in her spine and you're tangled up
she'll hold your breath, feed you glass until you cough up blood and when you complain to your friends you'll be reminded what you'll miss when you leave

she knows exactly what she wants but for now she's bored
she's just waiting for a boy to come take control, until then she'll take it all out on you

but don't you dare forget her, until she's forgotten you
she will not be pleased

come and get her she knows you're here
but she's forgotten you

my girl has forgotten you, she's mine

but she's got two barrels and I'm only one
she keeps a slot open because she doesn't know who she wants to grow old with

so sharpen your teeth
16, singer-songwriter

Check out my album: http://joshshort.bandcamp.com/album/collarbones

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 05:44:05 PM »
I'm not going to talk about the production, because that's not my area. Except to say, there's a lot of yelling....

I'm interested in the lyric, though.

You say the song is about a "twisted girl". When I read it--and even more so when I listen to it--I get the impression it's about a disgruntled guy who's pretty bent out of shape because his love interest is only hanging onto him until she finds something better. Apparently, she's very needy and can't stand the thought of being alone, so, he's a constant, but she keeps going through one guy after another, looking for a better one, while the disgruntled guy keeps warning them they're only temporary. But is that true, or is he just trying to scare them away so he can keep her for himself?

You have some clever lines (in my opinion, anyway). Like, referring to her as having "two barrels"--one reserved for you and the other for exploring other possibilities. And, like a song, she'll be the best three minutes....

Some of it I don't get. Like the knot in her spine tangling somebody up. And the "sharpen your teeth" ??

In one instance the song contradicts itself. It says, "she knows exactly what she wants" but later it says, "she doesn't know who she wants to grow old with".

Some of the lyric seems a little weak, such as "she will not be pleased", "she doesn't know who she wants to grow old with". I think it might be that it's a little too wordy. Maybe??

I'm usually not a fan of calling adults "girls" and "boys", although it isn't as bad if you're consistent, like in this song. Plus, in this case, I take it as indicating neither of them is really grown up yet, even though they're adults in age.

Last nit--I really cringe when I see/hear misogynistic lines like "she's just waiting for a boy to come take control".

I think this lyric has potential and just needs to be strengthened and tightened. Hopefully, someone else will have some good comments for you on the production.

Vicki

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 07:16:01 PM »
Hi Shortwhat - the theme's a complicated one - as I saw it she doesn't like to commit but can't accept that a man won't either.

Lots of interesting lines. The first verse is super good. The second verse didn't quite match the quality and gets a bit confusing. And then when we get to "my girl has forgotten you, she's mine" that also didn't seem to follow as I thought we were seeing it from the first guy's point of view?

I'd try to reorganise a bit so the non-commitment parts feature strongly in the verses and then the "but don't you dare" is the chorus which shows the twistedness. And then in the middle section a different thought - that she may in fact be scared of ending up alone... (maybe I'm putting words into your mouth there).

I really wanted a chorus. I think if you shortened the whole thing, tightened it up, gave a few more repeats on the "don't you dare" section this would work great. You could do it in the style of the Cure which would really suit your voice. For me you do need to work on dosing the reverb, setting recording levels, and reserving the full-on emotional belting only for selected key moments. If you listen to the Cure the vocal delivery is quite soft but still very emotional.

I know you're a free spirit and I certainly wouldn't say be less creative! The reason for the long post is just that I see potential in this and a little more structure and a few fewer raw edges could help deliver those great lines to a wider audience.

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 01:53:08 PM »
The sentiment hits home.
I'm never far off meeting one these women.
Prefer this sort of approach than the Disney stuff that is supposed to pass for love songs.
Really like the opening line. 

Well done.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 08:56:17 PM »
I particularly like the raw energy and emotion in your vocals and the lyrics are clever and cutting. I think the arrangement works well as well but seems the vocals are topping out a bit which sort of distracts from the rest of the song. If you could get the vocs in the mix a bit more while still retaining the energy, passion and emotion I reckon you're on to a winner. Good stuff

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 09:07:47 PM »
I Like the Shouting but not all the way through the song - Some good lines in the lyrics and the song has potential - I would build it up a bit as go along. Its kind of my sort of thing but to me needs more work.

jamesh

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 11:24:50 PM »

Theres a lot of passion in the vocal performance which obviously conveys the emotion well, but a little more variation would really add to the song. Im not sure the line "best 3 munitues of your life needed to be so passionately delivered.
The vocals are a bit loud in relation to the guitar, and my preference would be that the delay effect on the vocal could be used a bit more sparingly on some parts, maybe automate it if you are using a DAW.

I like the guitar accompaniment but on first listen, I wasnt expecting quite the singing style that followed. Am I hearing some The Killers influence in there?

Thanks

James

shortwhat

• Open Mic
  • I like reverb
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 11:18:48 PM »
Hi guys:) thanks so much for all the feedback, I've read through it all and I'm loving the varied responses, shows how our personal tastes shine through on this forum which is cool:) I'll think about going back and messing with this song to try and fill some of the gaps which some of you guys have been saying about, maybe change up some of the lyrics, and I'll work on the production a lot more!
16, singer-songwriter

Check out my album: http://joshshort.bandcamp.com/album/collarbones

TimCurtis

• Open Mic
  • Zendium Moon Logo
    • Zendium Moon on Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 02:33:39 AM »
I agree about the topping out of the vocals which kinda distracts a bit. But I like the other effects on the vocals which make it stand of from being another bloke and his guitar. I wouldn't say polish it any more than the hot vocal as it's good to have some raw edges. Like the shouting as it sounds like you mean it.