konalavadome

Why do my songs sound older than that of most people my age? - Advice

• 11 Replies

RJDG14

• Busker
« on: January 30, 2015, 09:55:47 PM »
I'm 14, but from past experience of others, multiple people have said that my work sounds a bit like stuff recorded in the late 1970s and 1980s, yet other children at my school who have made some music attempts appear to sound more modern. I find that quite a lot of the stuff I listen to is around the 30 year old mark, which could be a key influence, but moreover, I've found a lot of stuff recorded in the last few years non-memorable. While this isn't a song review, I've included a link to a page containing information of my songs, only to ask if they sound at all old to you:

http://rjdg14.altervista.org/media/ (The songs on the page are Dublin Skies and Ban the Bell)

How unusual is it currently for someone of my age to be recording something that would have sounded more typical of 30-35 years ago? Would you agree with me that my two songs mentioned sound at all unusual style wise for someone my age or not... I'd like decent advice so that I know how to improve.

Mystic Dreamer

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 03:58:20 AM »
I'd like decent advice so that I know how to improve.

What would you consider to be an "improvement"?

My advice would be to continue to go with what you are naturally drawn toward rather than trying to fit into some imagined mold that you think other people might expect you to fit into.

What's wrong with just doing what comes natural for you?

So I don't even know what you mean by "improve".

Moreover, if you end up trying to write music that you're not naturally into it's all going to end up being pretentious anyway.  How can you become passionate about something that you're not really into?

Why even try to be something that you're not?

I mean, if you had a job that required that you do things you're not into that's understandable.  But as an artist why even care what other people think of you?  Just be who you are and follow what calls to you.

That's my advice.  ;)

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 08:17:05 AM »
Wise words.

RJDG14

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 09:35:22 AM »
Okay. Does my stuff sound (style wise) at all like anything any of you have heard? A user in the past said that it (Dublin Skies) reminded them a little of Joy Division and early U2 (both circa 1980), but would you agree with them or not?

Another factor to the sound could have been that much of the equipment I was using was 10 years or older - the guitar was fairly recent, but the amp is about 25 years, with my keyboard about 10 years and the mixing PC from 2002.

I'd have never said that my stuff sounds that synth like in the way of a lot of 80's stuff, but not all bands were like that then. Keyboard is used, but mainly to fulfill bass (and sometimes drums).

Many of the lyrics could have been expected to have been more recent, but if you were to listen to my stuff minus the lyrics, would you guess it was recorded by someone now or a while ago?

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 11:11:32 AM »
Hi,
Listened to Dublin Skies it doesn't sound current as its not chart pop, modern acoustic singer songwriter,  urban, dance etc.
I guess the first question is what make a song sound like it comes from a certain genre? Well, the song itself, the melody and structure, the singing, instrumentation, playing and arrangement as well as the recording. Lyrics perhaps less so. So different decades sound recognisable although genres comes go. 60's Ska came back bigger a decade later. Mark Ronson is clearly a genius in recreating the sound of the 60's Amy Winehouse and 80's UptownFunk.

But the more important question is what you want to sound like? The track had the 80's indie rock vibe as you had guitar and vocal to a simple repeating structure. And what nails 'that' 8-'s sound is the echo and fx's on both guitar and vocals IMHO.
If you like that stick with and develop your own style. Hope that helps.
Rgds
Neil

songwriter of no repute..

RJDG14

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 11:27:44 AM »
I didn't have any pedals in use, but the amp (including reverb) may be from the late 80's, which could have influenced the sound.

Now that I think about it, the Icicle Works were an "indie" band from the 80's, and their stuff seems a little like Dublin Skies - much of their stuff could have been treated as an influence on my own style.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 11:26:42 PM by RJDG14 »

maninthesong

• Busker
  • Legend in my own bathtub
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 05:55:18 PM »

I don't think it's a bad thing to be listening to older styles of music, that can give your music a real edge over the current market.  Look at the likes of Amy Winehouse and Hozier.  They were both influenced by like old American blues and jazz stuff.   Jake Bugg is another example.  But they all managed to marry it with a sort of contemporary style.  I think that's the key/

Had a listen to Dublin Skies, I defo think it has a contemporary edge tbh, particularly at the beginning, something very hozier-esque about it.
I had a very similar problem, I reckon I was born 40 years too late!!  But ya gotta look at it as a blessing, or an advantage, and make it your advantage.  maybe allow urself to be influenced by some top 40 stuff too, and u could find your own sound somewhere in the middle.
I read a lot of books on it to try and make my music more radio-friendly, actually just finished a decent one - how to write a song for radio -
http://www.amazon.com/Songwriting-Write-Song-Played-Radio-ebook/dp/B00SZKJ1UC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top/188-4611126-8228203

Might be an idea to read some books and buy a bucket load of c.ds from the top 40 section of hmv too!
Post up some of your updates as you develop.  hope that helps

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 04:13:42 PM »
The "most probably correct" answer to your question (i.e. why do MY songs sound "older" while those written by others my age sound more "modern." 

Here is that "most probable answer." 

YOU are writing original stuff from out of your inherent musical tastes, while they are copying the currently popular stuff they listen to. 

That your music doesn't mimic the current trends is a good thing not a bad thing. 

I'll carefully explain that I am NOT saying that current trends are all bad.  Nor am I saying that 35 year old music is "better."  I'm just saying that truly original music will be ... well ... ORIGINAL  It won't sound like it "belongs" in the current world. 

Just keep writing.  STUDY styles, and write in as many styles as you can gain an understanding of.  Being original, and being YOU (instead of copying) gives you a chance to be heard that those who copy can never really have.  Nobody wants a copy of an original.  Not in music, and not in any art. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 04:21:59 PM »
I listened to "Dublin Skies."   You're way more worried than you should be.  What I heard has some ELEMENTS of 80s music.  But it also has elements of 300 year old classical music. 

Remember this.  ALL music is derivative.  ALL MUSIC.  There is nothing good you can write that won't show some influence from past music from some era.

I'd advise that you quit worrying about which era your music sounds like, and concentrate your energy on being inspired by GREAT MUSIC regardless of era.  Then whatever comes out of you is YOU. 

Also, spend some energy on improving your recording and mixing capabilities.  If "Dublin Sky" is held back at all, it's held back by the fact that I can't make out the vocals as distinct and "hearable" over the music. 

Just get better at performing and recording and stop worrying about what era your music belongs in. 

That's my advice.   You have real talent.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

rlp85

• Busker
    • RobPhillimore.com
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 01:24:26 AM »
I have the same "issue", I'm 29, I listen to, and always have, a lot of 70's 80's bands, they have influenced my writing style and performance etc. I have been told that I'm very "American" and a bit "country", which doesn't bother me cos i love that stuff. I have been told that my songs aren't what the british want, but i can't, and won't change my style to suit so il just move to america one day haha.
What I'm basically saying tho is just write what you write, its better to be honest when it comes to creativity, cos its hard to fake it (or at least fake convincingly).
Thats just my view tho.
All the best and keep on creating:)
Live, Love, Sing

jamieF

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 01:44:38 PM »
Be yourself, write about what you know, tell it from your heart. If you do this then very little else will be needed. You have talent.
Epitaph on a blues singers tombstone: "I didn't wake up this morning......"

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 02:15:09 PM »
The problem is..it's all been done before, if someone had not heard anything from the 70's/80's they would not think your music is ''old'' which is a stupid thing to say anyway, the worst thing you can do is listen to a bunch of ''trendy's following what they think is the ''latest thing''
genre specific people are narrow minded IMHO..

be yourself, if what your doing comes back into fashion the ''trendy's'' will be all over it..

best, Kevin
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!