konalavadome

21 - Kafla

• 28 Replies

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 02:12:57 AM »
I've listened to this two nights in a row now to make sure I have a good listen  :)
First of all it's easy to hear this song means a lot to you in the vocals. Not just on that end bit either  :)
It's a well written song with lyrics that are really good and very sad.
You know before I say it that it's not my cuppa, but that doesn't stop me from appreciating it.  :)
To be truthful I actually enjoyed it much more when it was simple guitar and bass and the build
took some of that closeness and emotion away from me. I would have prefered for it to have stayed bass and guitar
the whole way through with maybe some really soft/gentle percussion rather than drums and organ.
Nice one though, good song  :)
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 08:46:09 PM »
Lovely writing as always fella :)

I am with schav here. I would most likely prefer a version without the drums and organ. The add nothing for me and lesson the impact of the vocal and the song as a whole

Great lyricism and nice tight guitar strumming. A delicate subject well handled. Thumbs up :)
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Kafla

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 07:43:36 AM »
Lovely writing as always fella :)

I am with schav here. I would most likely prefer a version without the drums and organ. The add nothing for me and lesson the impact of the vocal and the song as a whole

Great lyricism and nice tight guitar strumming. A delicate subject well handled. Thumbs up :)
Many thanks for all your great comments and useful suggestions  ;D

I completely understand Scahvu's and James point about the middle 8 , I even considered building up the last verse more on the back of this section

It's a hard one - I tried it acoustic all the way though and I personally thought the build up was a nice juxtaposition to the town , lives and country falling apart in this section

But there are never any rights and wrongs, only opinions and I am grateful for them all  ;D
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 07:49:04 AM by Kafla »

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 11:12:43 AM »
Hi Kaf

This is a great song and fantastic songwriting I really enjoyed it- I personally like the drums coming in there and dropping out again - just shows you, different people like different things! Your vocals are sounding really good too!

One of your best Kaf I think  :D - I wish I could write lyrics like you :'(
xxx

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 11:12:05 PM »
Loving the emotion you have captured here

I am afraid Alanis Morisette has ruined harmonica solos for me in songs so I was not a fan of that - but not your fault at all

I did actually like the drums kicking in - but I do think it is a tricky one as it sounded odd taking them out again - but then again I can see why you did

On balance I would agree with keeping them out altogether

This is a perfect example of songwriting being about capturing - and then getting across - emotion within the music and lyric

Just luurrvly
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

vibesville

• Open Mic
  • That would be me then ;)
    • Listen to me here! :)
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 11:38:23 PM »
Sometimes in life music and lyric is a great release for those moments in time you so want to express but never knew how,
they can seem to hard to deal with. Take comfort in knowing they would be proud of you.

The song says it all :)

Kirby
“Acoustic laid back new wave punk indie folk with a sprinkle of deep meaningful day to day observations on how the world goes round and round and round and sometimes I actually notice this happening and decide it’s worthy enough to write a song about.”

https://www.facebook.com/vibesville
http://www.youtube.com/vibesville

Promote yourself here!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Share-the-Vibe/

Kafla

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2012, 10:24:53 AM »
Thank you all very much for your kind comments and observations

I am glad you like the lyrics Flossie - I don't think I am a master word smith but most of the time I achieve what I am trying to say in a song , lyrics mean a great deal to me  :D

Pez

• Open Mic
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2012, 10:21:57 PM »
Kafla this is really good. My wife used to have a mark owen solo album and your voice reminds me of that, there
were some great tracks on there thinkin back, i cant remember the name of it now... Vocal is really loud, I'd prob come down a bit on it to let the guitar through a tad more but still magical emotional track mate. I really like this.

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2012, 12:17:54 PM »
Great song and the right treatment for it. I'm not a big fan of Dylanesque harmonica solos (even when Brooce does it, lol),  so I'll pass commenting on that. Drums were just right, but should have finished on a bass drum and decaying cymbal hit rather than a snare which sounded a bit abrupt. Also needed a bass guitar or sample of one as a bass drum always sounds odd without. Nice work mate.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 12:19:39 PM by estreet »
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

Kafla

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2012, 07:17:21 PM »
Thanks Pez and estreet !

You always explain things really well estreet , I knew it wasnt right coming off the mid 8 and now I know how to fix it  ;D

jmacdon

• Solo Gig
  • Give me a lyric and I'll give you a song
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2012, 09:27:42 PM »
Top form Andrew.   Dare I say, this reminds me very very much of Arlo Guthrie (I'm tooooo young to be into Woody Guthrie).   I love the subject matter - it's spot on - and I love the acoustic style.  Not really much to criticise to be honest.  I can see you playing this at the Stables in Wavendon (incidentally, thats where I saw Arlo) and it would go down a storm.

Your vocals are clear and well recorded (any tips you wanna share?!). 

My only criticism, I guess, is at 19s "understand what happened that day",  I think the "that day" falls on b flat.  It's pretty predictable and an obvious place to land on - b major would probably be too cheesy, but worth playing around to find a note that feels right and unique.

ric

• Open Mic
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2012, 03:55:45 AM »
Nice song - well sung & produced - balanced sound. It's a protest song, good on you! Very accomplished rhythm work on the guitar. Yes, that harp really sets me thinking about early Dylan - excellent!

stephaniedema

• Solo Gig
    • Sienna Little on Facebook
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2012, 06:41:01 PM »
Hey Kafla!

Everytime I see you have a new song up, I know it's gonna be amazing, but still time and time again you surpass my expectations.
This song seriously brought tears to my eyes. The verse of 'little sister' in particular made me choke.
Good work, man!

SD
Like a little spider I'm climbing the insurmountable. But I never hold myself accountable. - KT Tunstall

https://www.facebook.com/siennalittlemusic
https://twitter.com/SiennaLittle
http://www.reverbnation.com/siennalittle

Sellon

• Open Mic
  • Disregard Everything I Say...

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2012, 09:28:21 PM »
Your accent is strong in this lol...thought i'd point that out..great as always, but I feel its lacking something, not sure what though, but apart from that, its good...I feel your lyrics are improving too man, which is good, and the harmonica gives it some uniqueness, it almost feels weird, but in a good way...nice job man.
What if we both just smiled at once?