Watch The Sea

• 40 Replies

ric

• Open Mic
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2012, 12:56:37 AM »
recordings weird but got a charm about it
...mix needs cleaning up, sounds like a ‘one take’ that had something about it’  and it does i think enjoyed it ...wind blows thro it like its outside...just need to focus it a little more in the mix if you can or wait for a full moon and go in and do it again...your wandering vocal didnt bother me, sounds natural...think you could have a bit more fun with the mix bringing things in and out

Thanks nooms,

It sounded great as an acoustic, then the rhythm guitar sounded ok, but it all statrted to fall to pieces when i put the drums in, so i softened them with reverb, that left the bass, the bass sort of shaped it up again; but it is an odd song, i was thinking that the sea is odd at the time 'sea gods' and so forth. Maybe one day i can get hold of one of those analogue mixers where you can literally bring sounds in and out on the sliders? My digital mixer is more like a balancing act by comparison - but it's great [thumbs up]. Problem with anything analogue is that the pots + sliders wear out eventually, and you get that crackling when you move them around :-o

Ric

ric

• Open Mic
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2012, 01:22:22 AM »
This is my first critique so please excuse me if I am less than helpful....

Thanks there - any criticism is helpful as long as it is positive. Even 'i don't like...' is positive, as long as the reasons for the dislike are set out. I have never heard of pitch correction as an automated thingamagig. It would worry me. You know, it's one step away from the old talking computer, telling you what to do? I still have nightmares about Hal in 2001 (Kubrick) [lol]

The lead guitar isn't really that - it's more accompaniment - embellishing the minor chord sequence. I might redo the song but it would be completely different if I did, probably much more acoustic.

Thanks again & to all :)  I sure got some excellent feedback!

ric

• Open Mic
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2012, 01:29:04 AM »
cant get to play this on iphone or ipad! do you have this uploaded on soundcloud?

No - sorry - don't like SoundCloud as much as i do SoundClick, i get distracted by all the comments folks tag into compositions on SoundCloud. I want to make my own mind up about a song instead of read opinions about it before the song is through - but that's just quirky old me! Will iphone / ipad not interact with SoundClick then?

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2012, 09:47:54 PM »
needs flash to play apparantly so wont play on me ipad, not good!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks

ric

• Open Mic
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2012, 02:27:03 PM »
needs flash to play apparantly so wont play on me ipad, not good!

hm, sorry about that, big problem with digi tech, 'incompatibility'. In the old days your record player either worked or it didn't, these days you sometimes need a computer technician sitting at your elbow just to play an mp3: practically none of the music players on my Windows 7 are reliable, they all crash. If I want to listen to a CD I put it on the venerable XP.

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2012, 10:47:52 PM »
Maybe one day i can get hold of one of those analogue mixers where you can literally bring sounds in and out on the sliders? My digital mixer is more like a balancing act by comparison - but it's great [thumbs up]. Problem with anything analogue is that the pots + sliders wear out eventually, and you get that crackling when you move them around

Many daws have an automation feature which will do just what you want to achieve using software. You can program just about anything with them. Volume, balancing between left and right, turning instruments off and on, even many of the plugins can be programmed within the plugins themselves. Deffinately something to think about if your daw does not already have this built in.

ric

• Open Mic
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2012, 10:02:00 PM »
Many daws have an automation feature which will do just what you want to achieve using software...

Thanks. I use MixCraft5 which is brilliant as far as I am concerned but there's probably literally millions of things in MixCraft that I could use but am blissfully unaware of. MC6 has just hit the streets - which is an omagosh.

What mixing software are you thinking of in particular please?

Thanks,

Ric

[sorry mods this might turn into another thread if o/t?]
:-o
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 10:04:13 PM by ric »

shucky2011

• Busker
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2012, 04:14:34 PM »
I think this one has some real potential melodically. I don't know what scales your using but it is definitely interesting musically.

ric

• Open Mic
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2012, 09:22:26 PM »
I think this one has some real potential melodically. I don't know what scales your using but it is definitely interesting musically.

Thanks. You mean the single note scales? I think they were both in the tonic key - a mixture of mixolydian & harmonic minor, that's the only song of mine the HM scale has fit, it is an odd scale. If I spent less time writing songs I'd spend more time exploring scales I guess.

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2012, 05:46:59 PM »
I dont know how I missed this one Ric. Enjoyed the listen. I think I would like to hear this stripped back to the basics the melody of the voice and the guitar. I think that will help to strengthen the melody - give it some more focus. Then re build it with the other eliments perhaps? But I enjoyed it and look forward to hearing more from you. BTB
not really good at anything - but as long as I am breathing I will keep on trying

ric

• Open Mic
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2012, 09:01:40 PM »
I dont know how I missed this one Ric. Enjoyed the listen. I think I would like to hear this stripped back to the basics the melody of the voice and the guitar. I think that will help to strengthen the melody - give it some more focus. Then re build it with the other eliments perhaps? But I enjoyed it and look forward to hearing more from you. BTB

Thanks BTB,

It's funny, I'm never initially that aware of the melody to anything I write because I am just basically singing along to the chords, so I have no definite melody to follow. I guess the old time writers started out with a melody in notation then built the chords around it? I do sometimes sort of get a tune in my head but that will be turned into a chord progression straight away - so I have to record ideas instantly if I can or I'm just left with chords, no melody and no form to the rhythm & I can forget where the accent falls on the beat. Folks who can read and write notation have a big advantage over people like me who can't, I tip my hat to them.

Ric