konalavadome

What's the worst album you've ever heard?

• 21 Replies

RJDG14

• Busker
« on: January 31, 2015, 09:46:59 AM »
There are a number of albums which people always praise as one of the best ever, but can you think of any which are to you either very boring, badly written, or badly recorded? My least favourite popular album would be something by Black Lace, who were a British novelty group from the 1980's, but a quick lookup on the internet brings me to thinking that Go Into the Light by David Liebe Hart is possibly the worst. Almost all the songs are about drug use, love, and aliens. Mr Hart is probably best known for being on the Tim and Eric Awesome Show, but I feel that his beliefs may be genuine due to his Christian Science show which he ran for 20 years.

Have you ever heard any albums which you feel are of a very poor standard for their era? If so, what are they, and could you (of you can name a track) give an example of a song on them which matches your description.

DevyE

• Solo Gig
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 07:45:11 PM »
I can think of many boring albums, probably anything with 'Chill Out' in the title and a recent album 'The Endless River' by Pink Floyd  :)

Elbowglue

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 08:51:47 PM »
I've heard several albums by famous bands, some of whom I like, where the sound quality was appalling, leaving me wondering WTH they bothered writing the songs, then spending I don't know how long in the studio, only to present something (or allow it to be presented) to their fans that sounds as though it was mixed in a bucket. i love the Beatles but think 'the White album' overrated and quite a few of the songs are crap.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 07:11:33 PM »
I'm going to answer this by citing the worst album I've ever heard that still sold millions and that everybody (except me) seemed to like:

"Bat Out Of Hell" by Meatloaf. Overblown, lazy, derivative, repetitive, badly sung, old-fashioned-even at-the-time, bombastic pile of steaming poop. If you're too young to have ever heard it, you're lucky.

Example song: "Paradise By The Dashboard Light". Which it isn't.

M
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 07:14:39 PM by montydog »

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 08:18:17 PM »
I'm going to answer this by citing the worst album I've ever heard that still sold millions and that everybody (except me) seemed to like:

"Bat Out Of Hell" by Meatloaf. Overblown, lazy, derivative, repetitive, badly sung, old-fashioned-even at-the-time, bombastic pile of steaming poop. If you're too young to have ever heard it, you're lucky.

Example song: "Paradise By The Dashboard Light". Which it isn't.

M
I thought I was the only person that hated that album. Funny how at the time you are almost afraid to say it sucks because of all the hype. My personal favourite stinker is anything by Styx. The lead singer (before Gowan) always sings sharp to my ear and that really grates (not greats!).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 08:22:42 PM by Paulski »

montydog

• Stadium Tour
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 05:42:35 PM »
My personal favourite stinker is anything by Styx. The lead singer (before Gowan) always sings sharp to my ear and that really grates (not greats!).

Ooohhhh! I really like "Renegade" by Styx  :-[

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 10:47:54 PM »
The worst album i've ever heard is probably not that bad an album, it's just that i've developed a hatred of the guy who sings it , his whiney stupid voice makes me want to smash the player !!!!
I did like it the first 2 or 3 plays , then it started to grate .
it is ,    Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More   never again will it pollute my ears  ;D 
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 08:00:53 AM »
For those of us lucky enough to have lived through the 60s and 70s nothing can beat those truly awful cover lps of Top 20 hits called, I think, Top of The Pops volume x. You could buy them in supermarkets.

Elbowglue

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 06:56:46 AM »
Oh yeah, Bat out of Hell, definitely. It isn't so much about Meatloaf, I can't stand Jim Steinman, the composer/producer. Everything he's produced: pompous, OTT, yet empty; but massively successful. I bet he was one of Simon Cowell's heroes.

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 11:54:30 AM »
Well, every album my wife owns is complete rubbish (Luther VanDROSS, etc) but i have chosen one that i bought in my youth as i continued my quest for faster and heavier music. This is the album that turned me around and sent me back looking for proper rock/metal songs - not just screamy rubbish.

Nasty Savage - Indulgence

A poor man's Slayer meets King Diamond.

Garbage.

Still better than Vandross though.

RJDG14

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 11:44:54 PM »
Bat Out of Hell doesn't sound awful, but not the best for 1977 either. To me, it sounds like something that would belong in the late 1960's, maybe. It sort of sounds like a combo of Elton John, Led Zeppelin and Queen.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 11:46:48 PM by RJDG14 »

skogge

• Open Mic
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 09:10:15 PM »
Any album by The Doors. Can´t stand it.

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 09:15:26 PM »
i never appreciated spandau ballet, make me turn green
much prefered duran duran at the time
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 09:19:04 PM »
The third LP by Dexys Midnight Runners is if my memory serves me right, a right turkey.
 ;D
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

montydog

• Stadium Tour
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 01:01:31 AM »
Any album by The Doors. Can´t stand it.

OMG...I can't believe you have said that....every album is a work of towering genius.

M