'Back To Reality' - Feedback appreciated

• 18 Replies

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2017, 07:17:01 PM »
I like it. I think it bounces along nicely and your vocal seems to suit this dance/pop genre very neatly. The chorus is certainly catchy as other have said and it does have a somewhat modern feel but, and if your aim is to make this commercially viable or to pitch it as such, I have to be frank and say there's a few things that IMHO are likely to go against it.

Firstly the main synth feels a bit dated - it's almost got a Euro-pop 90s feel to it. Secondly the chorus really lacks oomph - yes it's got a clever hey-yo hook but there's little drive in it until, as pointed out above, the 2:17 mark. If you listen to Kygo, Chainsmokers, Avicci or any of the current big hitters you'll see how they strip the chorus for the first part and then unleash a monster chorus for the repeating part or hook. A catchy vocal won't cut it at the level you're pushing for I'd imagine without having a big energetic backdrop (ie thumping bass line, claps, ad lib vocals etc). The song seems like it is set up to burst to life at some point in the chorus but it just stays the same and IMHO - but then again hat the hell do I know! - injecting energy into it half way through would elevate the song to a new level. Listen to a few of the tracks by the aforementioned artists and see what I mean re the chorus exploding at certain points if I'm not really articulating my point very well here! It's kinda frustrating from the listeners perspective because it seems like you've done a lot of good hard work building up to a crescendo and then you kinda do nothing - it's nearly likely you've baked a really nice cake and then just decided to ditch the icing! Thirdly, the main title/hook seems too like Soul II Soul hit of the same name (yes, a lot of artists release songs with similar titles but they are in a position where they can afford to, you're not).

I'm not trying to be harsh with this I'm just giving frank and constructive criticism which, based on your previous replies to others, seems to be what you are seeking. I think it is very well produced and has a catchy melody but I honestly can't imagine hearing this particular track on Radio 1, Capital FM or MTV if I'm being honest about it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 07:20:08 PM by Sing4me88 »

Summerblue

• Busker
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2017, 07:32:04 PM »
@Sing4Me88

Wow! Thank you so much. I think you absolutely nailed it! (as did many others in part, not wanting to insult anyone, again) That Chainsmokers / Coldplay song had a wonderful build-up that just worked. I definitely will have to put more 'oomph' on the song, though I'm not quite sure how and from where onward: first refrain, second refrain, second half second refrain..? A bass drum? A groove? An 'agressive' synth chord? The dated main synth sound is also a problem, absolutely, will try to tweak that. Thanks, that is stuff I will work on :-) And I will listen to those artists you mentioned, only know them a bit.

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2017, 07:39:39 PM »
Hi Tom.
First of all I am not getting into a flaming war on here so this will be my last post on this.

I hear ya, and agree with you on lots of things.
Soundcloud: a great free place to put your music but people are obsessed by the amount of followers and plays, Just pay SC and they can manipulate them for you....not right, or true.
But it is Free and does its job.

Heres my stance,
IMHO I feel that everyone who writes and puts up songs here has spent a lot of time and effort to produce something nice and we are all on a learning curve somewhere. Some nearer the top than others.
What I love about this place is that we can encourage each other to get better.

I mainly produce but like to comment on other peoples work. I am not the best songwriter or lyricist but quite like to write my own stuff.
We drop our tracks on here for peeps to have a say, I like to think that people are positive and give constructive points.
But its all down to personal taste at the end of the day.

I pretty much doubt you didnt intend to get anyones back up, but that is a downfall of text in forums, can be interpreted in many ways.

Keep up the good work dude.
You have a cool sounding track there.

Think you will find a lot of talented people in here who just havent had a break or just do it for fun but are very good.

Cheers
Andy

« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 07:43:58 PM by Cawproductions »

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2017, 07:51:18 PM »
I think you've basically got the diamond in the rough here already it's just a matter of polishing what you have. I think you get the 'big' chorus in in the first refrain and then have one with a wee bit more bite to it second refrain. I think holding back the aggressive synth to second refrain might help give another lift at that key point. I think keeping the first part chorus as is with a swoosh or sweep leading into refrain where you just let go (I'm no producer but getting more 'woof' on the drums by doubling kick/bass with low toms might beef it up and IMHO it's nearly crying out for on beat claps. The vocal on the refrain could be beefed up to - maybe with some processing/effect on it. You've got the hey-yo hook there which is very strong and very catchy as a hook so it's a matter of building round that I guess. Kygo is probably a good artist to listen to -It ain't me is pretty on fleek so having a quick listen to that might spark off something for you.

It's a very good song as is but I don't think it's as commercially strong as it should/could be. You've very strong production and vocal skills - that shows - but it's a matter of just honing in to deliver where the anticipation of the listener builds. I still find the hook/title a bit problematic too if I'm honest - it's kinda like you cheaped out and got lazy! I think there's probably a better more original turn of phrase you could substitute in there that has the same meaning and fits the melody but is a bit fresher. I'm throwing a few around in my head but don't want to take over on you!  :D