Hey there

• 4 Replies

AshleyR

• Busker
« on: November 29, 2015, 05:12:06 PM »
Hi everyone!

I started writing songs last year. My first instrument was the guitar (started on acoustic, then went to electric, now I play whatever instrument is around: keyboard, bass, drums, and so on. As for singing, I'm working on it, it's on a functional level so far.

Ok, genres now. I started playing rock and metal, then wanted to go towards a more industrial kind of thing. That idea is still in my head up to this day and I'm working on it, though it has evolved and incorporated other genres I started listening in the way: funk, jazz, house, some pop. I'm always listening to new music, been doing that for a couple years, and it added up quite nicely to my songwriting.

I got drawn to this place because I live in a city where we don't have much incentive towards music: people just want to hear the same cover songs over and over. You turn on the radio, there's only country music and whatever was on Billboard's top list 3 months ago. On top of that, I'm not that sociable towards people around here, so there's no one to talk songwriting with. All I learned was either through the internet or listening to the albums I could find.

That's my story in a nutshell. Hope I can contribute to you guys here! =)

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 10:18:49 PM »
Hi Ashley and welcome. I know some cities like that but fear not! Plenty of very sociable folk here and tons of songwriting folk too
GTB
GTB

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 08:49:14 AM »
Welcome aboard Ashley, Looking forward to hearing your songs. You will get tons of useful advice on here.

All the best

John

psyve

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 05:21:52 PM »
Hi Ashley,

Your comments "people just want to hear the same cover songs over and over" and "there's no one to talk songwriting with" struck a chord with me.

I have pretty much the same feeling, so am glad to be part of a group like this.

Just thought I'd say you're not alone in feeling that way.

Psyve

Friedemann

• Open Mic
  • You got to sound gefährlich!
    • Holistic Songwriting on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 05:55:34 PM »
Hi Ashley,

Good to have you with us! I've also just joined a couple of months ago and people are very friendly here :)

Looking forward to hearing your songs! The feedback section of this forum is always busy and helpful. I recently also started a video series giving feedback to people which you can check out here:

https://youtu.be/_pYBA7Q2l6E?list=PLdJiGmD0fTvvou-UixnGitPekpbNnBTLE

Hope to hear one of your songs there this friday! :)

Take care!
"You got to sound gefährlich"