konalavadome

Old For New

• 57 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2023, 05:46:01 AM »
@CorkingCrackBand , you're welcome anytime to join the challenge of something suitable presents itself.

Writing music can become a drain and should be more enjoyable than forced.

Good luck working alongside Sarah.
Please stay tuned.

Paul

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2023, 01:58:19 PM »
I thought I'd ask if anyone is up for a competition, (more of an exercise really, as I hate to go head-to-head with other writers and have a voting system which defines one song as being better than another).

I'm going to find time this weekend to resurrect a song that I'm really proud of but know that I didn't do justice to the first time around.  My plan is to add guitar or guitars, real bass instead of bass that was played on a keyboard, perhaps one or two more bells and whistles and I'll then remix. 

Would there be any interest from forum members to perhaps do the same with one of their compositions? I think perhaps the forum would benefit from some kind of shared activity like this, whereby members direct their creative energy toward something that we could all participate in.  We'd also get to hear some of the great work that members present and is perhaps long forgotten.

Please respond to this post if there is any enthusiasm for this idea.

Paul

Just for the record, I think it’s a fabulous idea, Paul
I spent most of my days, listening to old songs and wishing I’d of done it another way.
Some of my songs are very dear to me and it’s often the case I feel I haven’t done them justice.

I will, without doubt return to some key songs, and do my very best to improve them.
Aah. But I find it incredibly difficult to work in the confines of a fixed schedule.
Your idea is sound.

P.s.
I used to really enjoy the forum madness of rating one song over another.
Aka “Song of the month”.
 If I didn’t win my little ego, would struggle (not always but usually). lol.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2023, 07:06:16 PM »
Hello @rightly,

It would be great if you manage to join in with the challenge. 

I've really gone to town on my challenge entry.  I'm hoping to deliver something that is quite a surprise.  Watch this space!

Paul

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2023, 09:07:34 AM »
Please check out entrants from

@Shadowfax - 'It's Today'

and

@pompeyjazz - 'People'.

Thanks guys!

Two great songs so far and it's always great to hear the back story to accompany these compositions.  It is in my opinion equally as as interesting as listening to the songs.

Hopefully @Nick Ryder will soon weigh in with a song for this challenge.

@rightly my friend, we'd love to hear a reworked song from you.  :)

I'll be submitting my challenge entry called "Sing" on Wednesday unless another member steps forward with a new song to contribute to this thread which, is open to all forum members. 

Paul
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 05:20:44 PM by Wicked Deeds »

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2023, 11:28:10 PM »
Well…I just found an aborted project folder of old songs I was hoping to re-record as an album (again) though I’m not so much re-working them…as they’re pretty much still the same as they ever were…I’ve had a few bashes at them over the years and just came to the conclusion that you can’t make a great album out of a load of old bollocks…but I was trying out a few guitars and new plugins and then - remembering reading this thread - I thought I’d record a new version of “The Only Parachute” which I wrote around 1988 (when I was 20) I remember recording a live take of it at the BBC in Newcastle one night with my band “Misery Go Round” back in the 90s and being mildly excited upon  hearing it on the wireless a few weeks later.

Ive done all the instruments today, but can’t do the vocals yet as I’m full of cold…but please count me in @Wicked Deeds

It’s been a fun couple of hours running through it again. I even stood up to play my Rickenbacker. Which also reminded me…for some reason, I never record anything without wearing my shoes 😀

Will catch up with the other songs soon…
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2023, 12:54:59 PM »
Sounds like you've found a treasure chest of goodies@PaulAds. 'Misery Go Round' is a great name though I bet it hindered the band in the shiny happy musical landscape that pervaded at the time. Give me a shout when you are able to sing again and we sort out a date for you to list your song.

Thanks

Paul

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2023, 05:37:09 PM »
Has anyone got a song that is good to go for Wednesday or Thursday for this challenge? I've ran into a problem with my song and don't expect it to be ready in time.

Paul

Nick Ryder

• Solo Gig
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2023, 06:04:44 PM »
I’ve one currently being mixed but not sure it will be ready by then ☹️

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2023, 06:14:14 PM »
Mine should be ready for Sunday/Monday..

Paul

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2023, 09:03:25 AM »
I’m hoping to have a crack at the vocals on mine today, so I should be ok to post it tomorrow, if that’s ok and all goes (reasonably) well?

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2023, 06:11:14 PM »
@PaulAds, did you manage to record the vocal?
Tomorrow is all yours my friend. I'm really looking forward to hearing your song! 👍

Paul

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2023, 07:13:18 PM »
Hi buddy @Wicked Deeds

I did some vocals…a little ropey but I think it’ll just about do.

I’ll upload it tomorrow evening when I get home from work 👍🏻

I might even have time to do another take or a harmony or something…we’ll see 😀

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2023, 06:39:26 PM »
Thank you to everyone who has embraced this challenge. The latest is from @paulAds and is listed on the 'finished songs' thread.  Hopefully my track 'sing' will be up there soon. I'm currently waiting for harmonies that are  holding the party up a little. I'm sure they'll be worth the wait. Fingers crossed! Once again, the challenge is open to all members. We'd love to hear your reworked songs!

Paul

Nick Ryder

• Solo Gig
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2023, 05:02:15 PM »
Hey @Wicked Deeds and @pompeyjazz

My old for new song is ready now. When and where would you like me to post it please? :)

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2023, 06:43:59 PM »
@Nick Ryder,  I was going to post next but I'm happy for you to take the next slot on Monday. I'm looking forward to hearing your song and a description of how it was reworked/it's history. The stage is yours my friend.

Paul