Working together

• 10 Replies

Kafla

« on: January 22, 2012, 04:26:16 PM »
So since I have been on this forum I have let Ramshackles, Durchbeat and Pablo produce songs for me.

I have produced a song for Tinam and I am currently working on one for Corsair & Mr.Chainsaw.

To say I have developed from this would be an understatement - and it's been great fun.

So the point of this post is just to encourage it more - please if you are experienced and technically sound offer your services to the learners and let's make this forum even better than it is.

And if you want me to work on anything (not that I am in anyway experienced or techical  :o) please PM me

If it wasn't for Dutchbeat, Pablo and Ramshackles I would still be recording on a Tascam 4 track    ::)::)::)

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 05:17:47 PM »
Nice post :)
It's nice that there is so much of this stuff going on in this forum and we should totally encourage it :)

I'm often available for mixing things that catch my eye if I have the time (otherwise I'm hire-able :P) and always open for people to contact, send music and ask if I would mix their work or whatever (info@ramshacklesband.com). When it comes to recording, I'm a bit of a geek...

PS don't belittle the humble tape recorder :P Just this weekend I was out with a battery powered recorder doing some 'fieldwork'

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 06:28:29 PM »
Well said Kaf :) That kind of spirit and togetherness is not only great for the feeling of being
a cosy family on here but it is great for the experience of learning new things too.
Ramshackles is currently having a go at my Christmas song  ;D Can't wait to hear the finished
thing and post it on here.
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 06:41:58 PM »
I'm so pleased at the way this forum has developed into a close community. You guys are fab!

I'm all for promoting cross-collaborations, and would also like to give something back. Particular interests would be playing piano on a song that catches my ear, or maybe even have a go at production (not sure if I'm quite up to scratch on this though).

Looking forward to hearing what you guys come up with when you pool your skills. I can see a songwriter forum album materialising in the future ;)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Dutchbeat

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 07:15:03 PM »
well, clearly this has been, and is, the best forum on the world
(even though this is the only forum i ever joined, i still feel confident that this must be the best forum  :P)

and it is getting more and more productive!

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 08:23:18 PM »
well, clearly this has been, and is, the best forum on the world
It is! And trust me, I've been part of lots of forums over the years, and this one kicks all their asses! ;p

Thanks for the kind words Schav (pronounces Schavuitje correctly in his head, because it's fun to say)

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 04:10:51 PM »
I promised Scorpio Rising I'd do a version of one of his tracks. It's taking me quite a while.

Putting your stamp on someone else's 'baby' is for me, a big step.
I've been give free reign but I still want to keep the intention of the original work intact.

Does anyone have an opinion as to how far a track can be developed before it's no longer the same song?  :-\
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

Kafla

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 04:30:26 PM »
That's a great question Mihkay,

I watched an acoustic Katie Perry set the other week, I was on the red wine and my wife loves her.

Anyway I was blown away with how good these songs sounded with just guitar, the actual craft man ship in the songs.

Made me think how much the production had destroyed the orginal song.

So in answer to your question once the production outshines the song I think you have went to far.

That probably makes no sense but I know what I am trying to say  ??? ??? ??? ???

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 04:42:26 PM »
A very good question Mihkay. I would say that it's no longer the same song if you change the melody, chord structure or lyrics. Everything else is fair game.

@kafla Katy Perry? For real? Ewww :D (only teasing)

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 06:24:56 PM »
A very good question Mihkay. I would say that it's no longer the same song if you change the melody, chord structure or lyrics. Everything else is fair game.

Ah ha!
But I do wish to  change the chord structure. Slightly.  :o

For example, is the Joe Cocker version of "A little help from my friends" still "A little help from my friends"?
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

Kafla

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 06:33:48 PM »

@kafla Katy Perry? For real? Ewww :D (only teasing)

Aw I knew I shouldn't  have posted that  ::)

Anyway Mihkay if you need to change a chord to change the melody then that's out - your rewriting the song

But if you need to change it to better support the melody then that's fine

Simple  :P