Shameless self-promotion anyone? - EP on sale :P

• 28 Replies

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« on: January 18, 2012, 06:13:04 PM »
Well, as we wait for the master CD to arrive, I thought I would stick up the wavs of our upcoming EP here for your listening (dis)pleasure...... :-[
I've gleaned so much information (and late night solace) off this forum that I wanted to give something back. Unfortunately, I'm not rich or particularly philanthropical (?) so I'm just going to market our EP to you instead ;D ::)

So first up, the artwork for the CD:

And now the actual EP:
http://soundcloud.com/ramshackles/sets/bluebell-woods-ep/s-Zxgdb

So...have a listen, let us know what you think/don't think about it (or anything) if you want,  ask a question or ignore it :D

As ever, details of how to get it - either digitally, CD, or very possibly on vinyl and when (tentative date of Feb 1st) will be sent out via our email list and facebook.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 11:52:11 AM by Ramshackles »

Kafla

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 06:26:05 AM »
It's well cool

I definetely want a copy on CD ;D

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 06:30:20 PM »
i was feeling guilty about making mischeif with your album cover so i listened to all your ep
now im not a folk fan at least i thought i wasnt ....but i thought it was  extremeley good & a quite delightful listen!
all the tracks are great & sound realy good  
i presum e you play all the instruments? & you have 2 singers 1 french? she is quite a bit better than the other 1 tho
still i realy enjoyed it as a whole package ...well done ..i hope you have some success with it youve obviously put a lot of work into it :)

actually im going to admit it i was a huge fairport fan when in my teens & still love liege & lief & what we did on holidays!
 i also see where the name comes from now
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 06:55:40 PM by tinam »
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 07:09:40 PM »
i was feeling guilty about making mischeif with your album cover so i listened to all your ep
now im not a folk fan at least i thought i wasnt ....but i thought it was  extremeley good & a quite delightful listen!
all the tracks are great & sound realy good 
i presum e you play all the instruments? & you have 2 singers 1 french? she is quite a bit better than the other 1 tho
still i realy enjoyed it as a whole package ...well done ..i hope you have some success with it youve obviously put a lot of work into it :)

actually im going to admit it i was a huge fairport fan when in my teens & still love liege & lief & what we did on holidays! 

Wow, thanks - It's nice that you actually listened, let alone enjoyed it :D as you are very honest about your favourite genres! No-ones ever mentioned Fairport to us before, but Liege and Lief was one of the first 60's albums I owned. I got a vinyl player for christmas and of the 5 albums I got to go with it, Liege and Lief was one of them :). Can't believe you are/were a fan! :D

Yeah, 2 singers, 1 french - the other one (my sister) is actually only singing lead on 1 of the songs on this EP (the second one) as shes been away since summer.

Here's a little video we have for the title track. It's not interesting, but better than a blank screen or just the lyrics coming up IMO....I find it strangely hypnotic anyway:

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 07:30:41 PM »
ram, well played
really impressed with the mastering, got some muscle
wasnt really sold until the drums and band came in ,
lovely vocals and really takes off and swings...tremendous lift...

sister is very fleet foxes and beautifully done,
the way the vocal bursts through in the bridge...

think you shouldve faded first snow instead of the stop but...

enjoyed it very much, hope you get something rolling with it, good luck
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 11:39:23 PM »
Just listened to Bluebell woods. The bass is great whoever is playing it. Everything sounds spot on to me
A very good song too. :)
Going to listen to the next one now :)

B.t.w Have you heard of a band called Twarres? Here's a clip to see if you like it.

You won't undertsand the lyrics but niether do I haha because it's in Fries, up in the north of The Netherlands where everybody

lives on a farm  :P

Good stuff
&feature=related
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 03:50:08 PM »
Just listened to Bluebell woods. The bass is great whoever is playing it. Everything sounds spot on to me
A very good song too. :)
Going to listen to the next one now :)

B.t.w Have you heard of a band called Twarres? Here's a clip to see if you like it.

You won't undertsand the lyrics but niether do I haha because it's in Fries, up in the north of The Netherlands where everybody

lives on a farm  :P

Good stuff
&feature=related
Thanks :) Never heard of that band (apart from english/american stuff and some french stuff I dont know much..). Pretty nice clip, although the dude looks like he should be in a boy band...way too earnest!

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 02:52:34 AM »
Just listened to Lay It Down. I like it even better than Bluebell Woods. Love the rythmn of it and

the girls' vocals are ace. Had me smiling the whole way through.

I'll buy a cd when you have some :)

Would love to see you live as well. Do you guys gig?
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 01:00:06 PM »
Just listened to Lay It Down. I like it even better than Bluebell Woods. Love the rythmn of it and

the girls' vocals are ace. Had me smiling the whole way through.

I'll buy a cd when you have some :)

Would love to see you live as well. Do you guys gig?
Thats our other vocalist (my sister). She could only give lead vocals to one song on this EP as she hasn't been here most of the year. Emeline (the main vocalist) is doing the harmonies on this song. Well, thats 2 down, now listen to the rest :P

Gigging is definitely something we would like to do...it all depends on getting people together to do a show and then getting people to attend. I played gigs a couple of years ago and it was generally to crowds of 10 or less :P I have this stupid idea that maybe if we can somehow get the EP to lots of people without gigging then we can start gigging and much more successful...but thats a kind of counter-intuitive way to go about things I guess.

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 12:21:59 AM »
I wish it was like it was years ago when you could be a successful "studio" band.

I think these days the sales of music is so low compared to what it used to be that "Live" is where

all the money is. I think it is a good idea to have that album as a strong starting point. Use it to promote

yourselves and get it to as many ears as possible but people will want to see who they are listening to

eventually  ;)

Says me... agoraphobic hahaha

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 12:34:55 AM »
Beautiful :) Just listened to First Snow. Had a smile on my face the whole way through again.

I loved the melodies again, all that counterpoint had me enthralled. The vocal's were beautiful again, although

(Don't know whether this would sound the same for everyone... different speakers and such) but I would have liked the vocals

a smidgin louder and given much more space in the mix so that they filled up my headphones with more warmth. I know what I mean  :P

Loved it again though. The beginning had me see hampsters lolling down a river inside a little boat on a summers day... Now I know the song is called

First Snow and when I listened to the music I could easilly see that in the music too, for me it reminded me of that program years ago in the

seventies where animals played about on a river. For the life of me can't remember what it's called  :P But the piece had such warming and possitive melodies in it

so that's what I saw :)

Great stuff.

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 01:18:54 AM »

surely you dont mean Rag Tag and Bobtail ?
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 02:45:24 AM »
I might do haha That sounds very familiar. My memory is terrible. I know if I saw it It would all come back :)
In fact am going to look it up on youtube :P

Modify. Just did and it wasn't that. It was Tales of the Riverbank. AndI've just listened to the
theme tune and it's nothing like hahaha. So I have no idea why id made me think of that hamster in his boat  ???

http://www.wwwk.co.uk/television/shows/kids/tales-of-the-riverbank-2.htm
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 02:52:06 AM by Schavuitje »

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 12:57:39 AM »
Lols at that tv show  ;D It's as bad as parsley the lion.

This is the 'It's around 1 week til kick-off' bump.... :)

The EP is, for now, still up at:

http://soundcloud.com/ramshackles/sets/bluebell-woods-ep/s-Zxgdb

For listening/critiquing/sharing/whatever  :P. A little video for the title track is here:

A website is here:
http://ramshacklesband.com

2 more vids on the way, CDs are being printed right now; digital is ready and we just have to figure out the best way to sell it :S

Now Im going back to building a summing mixer :)

Sonic-r

• Open Mic
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 09:26:11 PM »
Bluebell Woods - love the mood of this song. The harmonies are intriguing (don't know music theory so haven't got a clue what's going on chord change-wise, but it sounds good). And I do like songs that suddenly up the tempo at the end. Don't know why; there's just something positive and optimistic about that technique.

Lay it Down - lively number, has an innocent charm and I can see this being popular played live.

First Snow - the start reminded me of the theme tune to Camberwick Green (or Trumpton/Chigley, one of them.) The song progressed into a really satisfying melody; it had a pleasing busy-ness to it.

Sister - I like the structure of this song, the quiet opening and closing with the almost prog-rock meat in the middle. The vocals  (Emeline?) are really distinctive and I can imagine her lending her voice, soaked in reverb and tape delay, on a trance track.

Pair of Paupers - charming.

Love the artwork too.

Chris