« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2016, 07:59:40 PM »
Ta delb0y.

Y'all can stop posting now so I'm not accused of bumping!  :P

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2016, 09:03:52 PM »
a beautiful piece...really lovely

i can never get my head around how we motivated those guys to get involved in that pointless and ghastly slaughter...but that's grim, cynical old me...i wish i could write something this gentle and affecting

well done  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

johnlondon

• Open Mic
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2016, 11:33:58 PM »
Like this one Skub, there`s real craft in those lyrics, they work well and carry the emotion when reading them without the music. Quality music and production values add a lot though, and you`ve made a very good song.
I came in from the wilderness a creature void of forum

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2016, 08:11:37 AM »
I thought this was an absolutely beautiful song

Just to clarify, I didn't do an production or mixing on this - I did the mastering to give the excellent mix a platform to shine

I loved the concept of the song and the lyric, melody and production supported this so well

There was a discussion recently about whether songs should have "universal lyrics" or use specific names, places, dates etc.

The discussion centred around choosing the best option to support the song and engage the listener

This is a perfect example of how to use "specificity" (is that even a word!?!?) to communicate a message

A fantastic song and it was a pleasure to work on
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2016, 03:20:33 PM »
Well, it's a masterpiece isn't it? Long but not too long and full of so much creativity and talent. Sounds like a classic folk tune and it's beautifully written. Staggeringly good track - you've really gone and done it this time!

Loved it to bits

M

retrononomusic

• Solo Gig
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 05:44:07 PM »
 :o

This is a pleasure listening to this song.

All is here : catchy melody, structure, solid voices, epic moment, beautiful flutes singing...

I wish I could do a song with such a meaning. Your voice gives a lot if credibility to the song.

I'm a perfectionnist so I would say that the snare is coming a little too strong in the first place but then I forgot about it. This is the only "thing" I noticed.

:)

olivergearing

• Open Mic
    • Oliver Gearing @ Reverbnation
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 10:35:12 PM »
Fabulous song, really brought me back to my GCSE war poems study, Wilfred Owen and the like. You've captured the essence of the emotion for me, the optimism, the hope, the pointlessness, the sacrifice...

Some songs stop you in your tracks and make you think. This one did that for me.

Only thing for me is the gunshot. I would reverb it up and make it clear the songs not over yet... Other than that very hard to find anything I didn't love...

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2016, 08:58:28 PM »
@ johnlondon,thanks for the positive comments John.

@ Boydie,your input and contribution to the song was invaluable,cheers Paul.

@ montydog,killing me with kindness,Alan!

@ retrononomusic,cheers nono,given the polish of your work,your opinion is one I value.

@ olivergearing,ta man,the gunshot part did cause some division of opinion,but in the end we had to stop fiddling or nothing would be done!

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2016, 01:20:04 AM »
Hi scub

Allow me to join the choir singing the praises of this song.
Great lyrics/story. The arrangement pulls us in and keeps us interested. Love the pan flute?
Lovely vocals too. no nits this side of the globe man - loved it to the end

Paul

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2016, 10:58:31 PM »
Ta Paul,much appreciated.

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2016, 11:37:50 PM »
Wow, Skub, this is brilliantly arranged and produced :o A sad story, very well told, both lyrically and
vocally :) I love the BV's and the female voice :) the tin whistle is perfect, as are the marching drums :)
My hats off to you, and Boydie's mastering is icing on the cake  8) Fantastic production :o

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2016, 06:47:31 PM »
Thanks crystalsuzy,I'm glad you took the time to listen and enjoy the song.  8)

CMUK

• Busker
  • https://soundcloud.com/christophermoodymusic
    • http://www.christophermoody.co.uk/
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2016, 07:23:02 PM »
Yeah, good song. Strong imagery, melody and dynamics. Reminded my a little of Brothers in arms, with a few guitar licks and of course the subject matter. For me, I'd perhaps just back off some of the effects from your voice. It's quite folky and perhaps lends itself to a 'cleaner' production where you can't hear the effects so much.
Other than that, good work.

Cheers,
Chris.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2016, 07:36:48 PM »
Yeah, good song. Strong imagery, melody and dynamics. Reminded my a little of Brothers in arms, with a few guitar licks and of course the subject matter. For me, I'd perhaps just back off some of the effects from your voice. It's quite folky and perhaps lends itself to a 'cleaner' production where you can't hear the effects so much.

Cheers,
Chris.

Heh,it's interesting you should pick up on the voice. I've never been totally comfortable with my voice,which is why I often work with others happy to take the lead part.I love bringing along a new song and not having to sing it!
 My voice is processed simply because it's my way of hiding! You'd imagine by the time you'd get to my age I'd be reconciled to using whatever I've got and lose the hangups...but it hasn't happened.

Well spotted.  :D

CMUK

• Busker
  • https://soundcloud.com/christophermoodymusic
    • http://www.christophermoody.co.uk/
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2016, 07:48:33 PM »

Cheers,
Chris.

Heh,it's interesting you should pick up on the voice. I've never been totally comfortable with my voice,which is why I often work with others happy to take the lead part.I love bringing along a new song and not having to sing it!
 My voice is processed simply because it's my way of hiding! You'd imagine by the time you'd get to my age I'd be reconciled to using whatever I've got and lose the hangups...but it hasn't happened.

Well spotted.  :D

I know what it's like, we all do it! Just a little more reverb, fix the pitching there, double the vocal. All of sudden we sound like Cher singing 'believe'. It takes guts or a really good sound engineer to have a clear vocal sound. Your voice sounds good and suits the song. Have a listen to Bonnie Prince Billy, his singing is absolutely all over the place but it works, should give you some confidence. I'd say as soon as you start to really notice the difference between the dry vocal and the effected vocal you've gone too far. I need to take my own advice as well!