The Option

• 7 Replies

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« on: June 09, 2023, 10:26:22 AM »
Hi all - it's been a lean spell for me but ideas are now returning! I saw a clip of the museworthy Andrea Stolpe who said "Think of a relationship and of something you'd never say to that person's face. That's your chorus." And so was born "The Option" (see version 1 below). Which is fine, but thinking about it what's the point of that song? Just to confess my sins? There was already a change of point of view there so I am thinking of changing it up to be from the POV of an observer/friend which isn't as original but seems to make way more sense (see version 2 below). It's a totally different song (right?) and I still am not sure. Sounds are important and "I... myself" sounds better than "he... himself" but with some tweaking I think it will become a proper song. All thoughts welcome...

Version 1Version 2
V1
You were difficult for me to kiss
Because you only kissed when you meant it
You were difficult to convince
But my desires were always authentic

Pre-ch1
You were difficult to persuade
But all the promises I made
Never felt like they were fake

CH
You were just a giver
Just giving yourself - with a passion
I was just a giver
But I was just giving myself -
The Option

V2
It was easy for me to leave
And run out of your clasp like a shotgun
It was easier to believe
That I was too free for the long run

Pre-Ch2
It was easy for me to claim
That adults are ok
To go smiling on their way

CH

M8:
Careful with a boy who does
Impressions of a man
He may be good for fun
But when commitment hits the fan
Your kisses won't suppress
His inner-childishness
You'll find he came as the husband
But it’s only fancy dress

Final CH

V1
You were difficult for him to kiss
Because you only kissed when you meant it
You were difficult to convince
But his desires were always authentic

Pre-ch1
You were difficult to persuade
But all the promises he made
Never felt like they were fake

CH
You were just a giver
Just giving yourself - with a passion
He was just a giver
But he was just giving himself -
The Option

V2
It was easy for him to leave
And run out of your clasp like a shotgun
It was easier to believe
That he was too free for the long run

Pre-Ch2
It was easy for him to claim
That adults are ok
To go smiling on their way

CH

M8:
Careful with a boy who does
Impressions of a man
He may be good for fun
But when commitment hits the fan
Your kisses won't suppress
His inner-childishness
You'll find he came as the husband
But it’s only fancy dress

Final CH

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 11:31:02 AM »
Hey @adamfarr - looking forward to hearing this :) !

Great lyrics - really like the theme / idea with the contrasting expectations and motivations. M8 is very well written - love the "commitments hitting the fan" line..

For me, I think the "I" perspective is much stronger than "he". It might be because that's what I default to and would find it easier to sing like that... (although in my case I'd probably flip it so I could be pissed off ha!).

It'll be great either way but that's my vote!

K

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 03:48:32 PM »
Hi Adam

Definitely V1 for me too 👍🏻

The personal perspective gives it a lot more authenticity, I think…rather than guessing at what other people may or may not have been finding easy or difficult.

The last bit about marriage made me think of something about the novelty of wandering down the aisle with that little boy smile and the dressing up scenario with the suits going back on Monday like to Mr Benns costume shop…and the wedding ring popping up on eBay the week after or something…dunno why…might be the wine as I’m in Greece on my holidays as I type this.

Anyway…I really enjoyed the idea and the lyric and it’s super to see you posting something of your own…your forum activity is 99% give and 1% take…and look at the twaddle you got from me 😀

I hope you can plough through on this one…I sometimes worry that you might over-think songs. Re-writes and further deliberations may well work for a lot of people…but I think you’re intelligent and funny enough to take a song anywhere without getting bogged down trying to make it perfect.

I read somewhere the other day “perfect is the enemy of good enough”

I also just read “happy hour 6-8…cocktails €6…so after a few Cuba Libre’s last night, I’m off to aquaint myself with some Black Russians. Why has nobody invented a cocktail called “Western Civilisation’s Desperate Suicidal Gamble”?

I’d drink to that  :'(
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2023, 06:17:04 PM »
Hi you guys! Yep, overthinking. Back to doing my thing. Where do I find a Black(out) Russian?! Thanks as always.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2023, 04:47:40 PM »
Hi @adamfarr,

I'm working my way through version 1. It's an original beginning in that it reveals so much about both parties i.e the kiss had to be meaningful to one person before it would happen. You also reveal that it would also mean more to  the second  person, "my desires were always authentic." There are two contrasting values which I believe creates tension within a relationship.  Sweeping across to version 2, verse 1,  it reads so much better so well done for this accomplishment.  Pre ch1 reiterates the same dilemma, supporting the idea that there is disappointment.  I'm looking across to version 2.  Whilst I've just confessed to noticing a marked improvement and acknowledging this technique, I now have to say that this section loses a degree of expressed disapoinment/possible heartache.  The use of "I "gives the lyric a greater feeling of sadness and I believe that you should aim to achieve this. I would reiterate the same point for the chorus.  The ideas presented, are loaded with emotion. I'd be tempted to write:

You were a giver;
giving yourself with passion.
I was a giver
but I was giving myself.

I've omitted the word 'just' as I believe that to give is not a small gesture.  One gives herself with passion, which is a beautiful gesture.  The other gives  himself.  This implies that he gives completely.  So that contribution outweighs to give with passion which I believe is a striking contrast.

It was easy for me to leave
to run from your clasp riding shotgun
It was easier to believe
that I'd be free to leave in the long run

Big apologies for the amendment.  I guess that's how a face to face writing project might develop.   My thought process leads me to reflect upon leaving a relationship where there is an imbalance and so, one person no longer continues to nourish the relationship.  The shotgun element suggests a strong element of anger/diisappointment.  the final stanza clearly indicates  that we may wish to believe that we have severed ties with someone but that is rarely the case or that it doesn't happen easily.

Pre ch 2 would then reiterate the same point.

Of course such amendments would create the necessity for a rewrite of the final verse. I'd perhaps write about how the ideals of a boy in love can be very intense. A kind of warning that says unless his commitment is matched, then the relationship will falter.  Equally  a young man may experience the disappointments of life and love.  What he then brings to a relationship may one day be less than what the other person brings. 

One or two thoughts for you to think about aAam.  Hope you don't mind the suggestions.  We all have. a different approach as writers and you are very able to steer this in whatever direction you choose.  I will however, say that I love the ideas that are  present in your lyrics.  Please fell free to implement or discard any of the ideas that I have suggested. Much depends on the musical syllables that you have available and whether you might wish to alter them.  It's always a delight to hear from you and respond to anything that you post.  I have nothing but respect for your wonderful input in 'Le Rock 'n' Roll."

Great to hear new work from you Adam.

Paul
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 05:08:44 PM by Wicked Deeds »

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2023, 05:02:05 PM »
@PaulAds, your'e so right about @adamfarr, he brings so much to this forum! 

Loving the Mr Benn reference, We were so spoiled in our childhood years.  Mr Benn was a legend! Enjoy you holiday in Greece Paul, far away from festive Road. If you are by the seaside and you should see the red submarine...........

Back to Adam - I really enjoyed reading your lyrics.  Serious Kudos my friend!

Paul
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 05:10:12 PM by Wicked Deeds »

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2023, 10:01:16 AM »
@Wicked Deeds thanks so much for the detailed review and thoughts - there arelady already seem to be different interpretations of what I wrote which is always satisfying.

I think it was McCartney or Lennon (?) who said they always deleted the word 'just' as it was always filler that never added anything. Here I'll have to see, as I think it supports the irony - she is just (wholeheartedly) giving and he is just (merely) giving himself the option. (The title was even once going to be "Just Giving", like the website).

Anyhow, great to get your views and I will consider them all. For sure the I point of view seems more powerful and unique.

And, yes, Le rock and roll turned out to be a cracking song (and I learned a lot doing it).

CorkingCrackBand

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2023, 01:27:58 AM »
Hi @adamfarr

Late to the party on this one but I agree with V1 being the johnny to go with. I'm unsure on the 'just' debate. I can see it both ways. I'm afraid lyrics aren't my forte so I don't really feel qualified to weigh in.
I hope to hear it soon and hope you're well.

All best,

CCB