konalavadome

What would you like to do right now?

• 22 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: September 10, 2023, 09:09:06 PM »
I'd like to drive home to the northeast to be around my people; family and friends including a get together with  @PaulAds. That  would be at the top of my list.  Put my feet up for a week or two, walk along the beautiful Headland promenade of Hartlepool and Seaton Carew promenade, visit my Mam's grave and play guitar.  Not a lot to ask. I guess I'm homesick. We don't really know what we once had until it's gone.

What would you do with a 2 week holiday if nothing else needed your attention?

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2023, 09:42:35 PM »
Sounds like a great idea, buddy ❤️

I’m still in Greece on my holidays…but once I’ve had a week or two in the sun, I always want to get home to the damp and the cold…I miss my guitars too.

I’ve just been back in touch tonight with a guy I used to know, but lost touch with…we’re both Rickenbacker fanatics…he now lives in Seaham…so I’m looking forward to catching up with him too.

It’s so nice making and keeping up connections with people whose friendships you value…I’ve often thought it was a shame that more of us aren’t able to get together regularly…I’d love that! You, John @pompeyjazz Michael @MichaelA Paul @PaulyX Davy @Skub Karen @MonnoDB Kev @shadowfax Rich @cowparsleyman to name but a handful…and maybe, one day - fingers crossed - Vicki @CaliaMoko too

For my fantasy fortnight (now that my real holidays are over) I’d love to throw my acoustic in the back of my car, tell the boss to stick his job up his nose (temporarily) and spend a couple of weeks tracking down forum members for a beer and a natter, culminating on the south coast to tag along on one of John Pompeyjazz’s Open Mic Nights…I think we’d play “Behind The Makeup” and there wouldn’t be a dry seat in the house…
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2023, 06:07:36 AM »
Yeah, the thread should have been named fantasy fortnight. I get together in the south sounds like a great idea.

Rickenbacker's look like such cool guitars. I've never played one so unfortunately can't comment. I guess they're for a specific sound. Am I right?

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2023, 07:06:09 AM »
They’re pretty versatile, I’ve always thought…although they do tend to get pigeon-holed as being bright and jangly.

I think I’ve had 15 over the years…a bit daft, really.

They do a fabulous “spiky” sound that I love…which often gets criticised for being “too toppy”

They’re beautiful though…that’s the thing for me, I guess.

Nick Ryder

• Solo Gig
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2023, 08:05:57 AM »
Yeah, the thread should have been named fantasy fortnight. I get together in the south sounds like a great idea.

Rickenbacker's look like such cool guitars. I've never played one so unfortunately can't comment. I guess they're for a specific sound. Am I right?

Morning, Paul. After years and years of wanting one and not being able to afford one, I finally bought a Rickenbacker 620 in March of this year.

I absolutely love it and it sounds / feels like no other guitar I have ever played. I use it mainly for rhythm parts as it has really nice natural bright crunch to it.

@PaulAds Which models do you own?

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2023, 08:38:07 AM »
Hi Nick @Nick Ryder

I’ve got a black 330 and a fireglow 360WB as well as a ruby red 4003s bass…I also know a guy who builds replicas to the exact specs of original models…and I have one of his 360F’s (1959) (my favourite ever Rickenbacker, that’s been out of production since around 1965) and also a (George Harrison-style) 360 V64/12 that I was lucky to pick up second-hand. They’re every bit as good as “the real thing” if not better. An original genuine Ric 360F would likely set you back >£10,000, if you could even find one.

Nick Ryder

• Solo Gig
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2023, 08:42:04 AM »
Hi Nick @Nick Ryder

I’ve got a black 330 and a fireglow 360WB as well as a ruby red 4003s bass…I also know a guy who builds replicas to the exact specs of original models…and I have one of his 360F’s (1959) (my favourite ever Rickenbacker, that’s been out of production since around 1965) and also a (George Harrison-style) 360 V64/12 that I was lucky to pick up second-hand. They’re every bit as good as “the real thing” if not better. An original genuine Ric 360F would likely set you back >£10,000, if you could even find one.

Nice @PaulAds

Is that Harry White? I half considered buying one from him, but then part of the reason for buying a Ric was for the investment. I wasn't sure a copy, no matter how good it was would have the resale value of an original.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2023, 08:44:07 AM »
Yes…and you’re right…it absolutely won’t.

Nick Ryder

• Solo Gig
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2023, 08:46:35 AM »
Yes…and you’re right…it absolutely won’t.

A couple of years ago, I made the mistake of buying a copy from China. It cost me about £300.

Whilst it looked amazing (once I'd change the tail piece etc), it sounded and played rubbish. Luckily, I managed to sell it for £400!!!

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2023, 08:53:39 AM »
You did well there!

Cheapest and craziest Rickenbacker bargain I had was a black 360 I got off eBay back in the old days…local pickup only, seller got the model number wrong and was very cagey when I asked to come and see the guitar…I ended up meeting him at a train station to check it out…it was totally legit and I ended up paying £463 (eBay auction) for it. I played it for several years, until the frets were pretty worn…and then sold it for £900. Those days are over, though, sadly…

CorkingCrackBand

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2023, 02:51:38 PM »
Just to say, if anyone fancies giving me a free rickenbacker 325c58 I'd be ok with it.  8)

Something about 60's design - cars, instruments, the Daleks...

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2023, 07:01:05 PM »
@PaulAds - Man, great thread, enjoy yet another Amstel and warm olives…What would would I like to do right now, probably what I am doing right now, playing my Burguet Classical guitar in a secluded cottage, near Bath with My missus, it’s a warm evening just had a fry up with bubble and squeak (no black pudding- that is is the culinary equivalent of a Rickenbacker…)

As you probably know Ive been teaching guitar (off and on) since my early twenties, and one bloke was a guy I just didn’t see eye to eye with at school, he was a couple of years older than me and was always a bit aloof…anyway he came to me after watching me at a gig and asked if I could teach him, and it turned out he was a nice guy who had a passion for the Jam…I taught him for a while and he only goes and buys a Ricky something or other, a cherry red one, can’t begin to understand the rather arcane numbering system, anyway I played it, and as we have said a few time in this forum it’s either love and first sight or firewood…and I’m sorry to say the Ricky was destined to become kindling, or that thing that stops your garden furniture from rocking..I HATED it, the shape, the balance, the colour, the stupid numbering system but most of all the slippery varnished fingerboard….even worse than my 1975 CBS white strat with maple neck, (that was the worst guitar I ever had , maybe apart from my 1976 SG special, which was also as lovely as a piece of driftwood) anyway I never played another Ricky since.

However there is a happy ending I LOVE how they sound and would gladly buy one or two a (6 and a 12 string) for recording only and I couldn’t bear to hold them formlong….the other ray of light is that I had this same passion against Telecasters, now it’s one of my favourites

Anyway, the Jam bloke with the slippery Ricky was a great student and practiced everything I threw at him, and eventually ended up playing in one of my bands, then of course formed hisnown band and did well.

Now back to the Bach, it’s hard, but unlike trying to unravel Bad Asteroids by Guthrie Govan, this is worth the effort.

It would be great to meet up with the forum folks…it’s getting chilly, where’s that Ricky and those Swan Vestas….

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2023, 09:19:07 PM »
The 12s tuners are a bit bonkers too…and restringing them is a right giggle…

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2023, 09:39:44 AM »
@PaulAds - Amazing...a really dig the truss rod cover...good job you don't play for Frank Zappa and the mothers of invention