Why do you songwrite?..or should i say..why do you write songs?

• 17 Replies

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 09:28:10 AM »
 Hey Dutch...Where's my prize ;D ;D.....I've 'bared my soul', now I want my bar of chocolate ;D ;D
Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 09:56:57 AM »
I was living in Verona Italy..doing a part time driving job...which was good some weeks .barely enough other weeks...
So i always fancied having a go at writing a book....was inspired by a guy who wrote the Horse whisperer...
he was english ,on hard times,,and wrote that book..Robert Redford rang him up and personally offered a million for the story.

After some thought,decided this will be a long drawn out project and so decided to write song lyrics instead.

I don`t need the money so badly now but....i think it`s still there....it`s  not  done out of ego,,,or much  too noble....

i was thinking of giving it 3 more yrs...but i doubt i can stop now...as soon as hear a phrase or see something on tv that spawns an idea,,i`m off!!

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 10:47:08 AM »
Now how did it all start for me?!!!  At about the age of 4 my mum and dad were given an organ and my brother and i used to muck about on it, then they decide to buy a piano, this was the most beautiful piano in walnut, and was brand new, considering they didn't have much money, and it must have cost them a fortune back then, I am very grateful for this it was the best thing they ever did for me (excluding love, support security etc!) Oh and I was given this piano when I moved into my own home - my most treasured posession

I was sent for piano lessons with my brother, he couldn't be arsed and my mum let him give up but I continued.  I loved to sing too I remember my first performance in Junior school singing a solo and by voice cracked mid song, which put me off for many years! It was at Junior school I started improvising and realised I could make my own tunes, move over Mozart!!!

I did a few grades, stopped at Grade six because I was too lazy to do the theory test - now that may well have come in handy now! I took A level music and was often found in the music rooms with people round the piano singing!  I still hadn't written my first song at this point!

I studied for a degree and mid way through this course I started writing songs because someone asked me to give it a go.  Well that opened the flood gates and I was addicted! I wrote tons. My poor parents were a bit disappointed when I chose to temp, so I could fit in songwriting but were supportive until....

It was all given up (apart from the occasional classical session on the piano!) when I had my two children, well up until around two years ago or less, how I managed without it for so long, god only knows!!! It sounds so corny, but it is my salvation, at some of the most difficult times of my life just being able to sit at the piano and lose myself in music just blots out the bad and lifts my spirits.  I love to write music best of all, I am too inhibited to write good lyrics.  I rarely have happy riffs come along when I'm composing, now what does that say about me!!!

I would love to write something like Boydie, and have a hit, I would have to remain anonymous of course, I would like this partly for some justification for the time I have spent on my music (from friends' and my family's point of view, and definitely for the money (dance classes are expensive you know!) and just for the sheer satisfaction!