Forum mega-collaboration

• 76 Replies

Dutchbeat

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 12:26:23 PM »
Hi, thanks to all that are voluteering already!!!!!
To Alan, i appreciate that you step forward. To be really honest i was hoping that you or seriousfun or Kafla (but kafla seems to have left the building, i hope temporarily) would volunteer for making a first song idea. Also of course, Tone came to mind as he is the one who gave birth to this playground for songwriters on the internet

But indeed, someone needs to make that first song idea once we have lyrics, and i think you and seriousfun and also Kafla clearly are very productive and great songwriters. well, i think all the songwriters out here are great, but you guys came to mind to me (and please evrybody feel free to protest my opinion on this) as you can make songs i can imagine everybody wants to contribute to and the songs you guys make have a commercial appeal (this all just my opinion, but i hope it is ok for this project to speak out like this)

this process will require us to make this sort of choices...so i just say this out loud....if we make a song, could the chords be noted down, so that guitarists like Neil, GTB, Bin, Habi Saeedm Stylus etc etc. could try to add (if they would want that) strumming, fingerpicking or soloing...Tone, our glorious leader, could try to add piano etc etc. if the chorus could be in a sort of way that we could make a choir of songwriters that would be nice...perhaps main vocal parts for these forumites with golden and unique vocals, the Flossies, Crystalsuzys of this forum.....(guys and galls, i just give examples that come to my mind in an instant...i like all your voices and music  ;D ;D ;D), also perhaps a male part for the Montydogs, the seriousfuns etc. etc.

so Alan, if you want to go for it, you are in for a challenging task  ;D ;D ;D ;D

i hope the lyricists dare to start a post in which they start suggesting lines and comment on those....
or, perhaps that will also need one of them to make the first draft...and the other commenting or adding to that...

now, to be honest i would love to mix additions of various songwriters from all over to the core track.....simply because i love mixing with a high number of tracks, i want to reach a hundred tracks one day.....that is about what my computer can take...but i am pretty sure the forumites don't want me to do that (because of my limited technical knowledge of mixing and my tendency to clough things up etc. etc.), but i am just saying i would be in for it, but probably it would be much better if one of the more professional mixers step forward once more (iam thinking of the Ramshackles and Nighthawks of this forum)

i just put this out here to get the ball rolling.....just my thoughts, feel free to be outraged.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D but keep in mind we want to aim at something that is bigger then big, so i hope everybody is prepared to contribute, regardless of who will take the lead in a certain area

forumites, unite, let's bring music together from all over the globe in a 4 to 5 minute track, and a video with input from all of us...as a tribute to this forum and to songwriting in particular

« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 12:29:18 PM by Dutchbeat »

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 12:40:22 PM »
Yeah...way too get this going Dutchbeat...we have to start somewhere and I think you're right on with your suggestions...hopefully people will jump in to get this rolling :) :) :)

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 05:53:50 PM »
Some good ideas there DB, should encourage people to volunteer for what they're best at - So, can I volunteer NOT to sing ;-)
I just had my 35 yr old Gordon Smith 'strat' (serial number 00100) dressed by the man who made it!  would love a chance to use that on this venture :-)
GTB
GTB

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 06:54:37 PM »
I've been watching this with interest...

I think, for the idea to work, and for the song to be as 'mega' as hoped, it will need two things..

1, A strict leader, someone who is prepared to cut the wheat from the chaff, someone who will tell contributors straight if their part needs more work etc.. For a decisive, clear direction, democracy may not be best.

2, A cheese filter  :D  Large collaborations with lots of artists are often quite cheesy, think 'Perfect Day' - Lou Reed & BBC  or  'Sing' - that Jubilee song by Gary Barlow.

Just my two pesetas... ;D

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 07:39:26 PM »
If you need anything miserable in the song just let me know!

terrysains

• Solo Gig
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 08:07:05 PM »

an option for this project...

Could I put forward my Mega song. Every word written is taken from Barry Manilow's songs and great lines and I feel would be a classic with a large collaboration of this forum.
He has millions of adoring fans called Fanilows and I believe they would all enjoy singing along with this song.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 07:45:55 AM by terrysains »

Dogmax

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 08:55:43 PM »
Great idea everyone just thought i throw in these four lines that i just wrote don't know if they're good enough, but maybe someone might get some ideas from them, count me in on this for whatever i can do.

We have all come together, writers of words

Musicians, singers, one and all

So journey with us into our secret world

Where we'll sing and dance in our next port of call

Dutchbeat

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 09:12:15 PM »
thank you Dogmax,  i appreciate that you put the first lines on for the project, i hope lyricists will add to that

and

Terry, sorry, i am not sure, did you read the posts  ??? ??? ???...i understand you like Barry Manilow and you think you song about him is mega

but i don't really understand, is this a idea for the mega collaboration song
or your tribute to the meganess of Barry Manilow

You start your post with: "Could i put forward my megasong"

yes, you can, but not in this thread if you are not putting this forward as an option for this project

please

fischermans

• Platinum Album
  • most other people find me suspicious
    • This is my band and me.
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2013, 06:16:33 AM »
Hello and great idea. If you need my outstanding talent  ;D please let me know. I can carry the briefcase from Mr Tone or applaud at the end so feel free to contact me.

@Dogmax and all
May an idea for your first words.I modified some words.

We all come together, writers of words

Musicians, singers some of them birds

We show you the way into our secret world

Where music is all and nothing hurts

Alexander
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 06:41:12 AM by fischermans »
My band and me live in Eupen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp_SGRMve1M&feature=youtu.be
><(((°><°)))><

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2013, 06:39:41 AM »
Just want you all to know that I support and admire this challenge and will be following it with interest. I can't join in though as I just wouldn't find the time at the moment and would ultimately let you all down. Have fun ;)
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

terrysains

• Solo Gig
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2013, 08:07:25 AM »
Yes, Mr Dutchbeat I did read the posts: GTB suggested a musical project collaboration of all the talents of the forum to make one great song... I put forward my megasong as the project song... as I believe it has all the credential needed and so much scope to pull everyone together... not much hope I know...I also  volunteer to collect the royalties.
.. Terry.

Michael

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2013, 05:41:32 PM »
Really cool idea this, I think the song is gonna be awesome  :)
Hasn't there already been something similar a year ago or so on this forum, albeit on a slightly smaller scale?
I think it was before I joined, but I do recall a song (and video) with lots of participating musicians and writers somewhere in the archives here...

I would love to help with the arranging and production part of this, but work is keeping me on my feet at the moment and I'm kind of struggling to keep up with my own projects.
But I would like to contribute with something... did somebody ask for a weird synth sound or an accordion track ?   ;D

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2013, 06:31:40 PM »

Good luck guys......I'll help if I can.  I'm going to be busy though.  Got a grandson due in the next 2/3 weeks ;D ;D 

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

Dutchbeat

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2013, 07:41:48 PM »
thanks guys,

@ Terry, ok sorry, i should read better myself  :P :P thanks for offering, i am not such a big Barry Mailow fan, but you clearly are, you really go for his music

@ michael, yes that earlier project was my intiative, the result is still here.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mTKhZI0szI

the song was called: life goes by, but it was different IMO in that i wrote a song, not about songwriting or anything and asked people to contribute tracks....i made a pretty bad mix listening to it now, was still working on it and then lost the files ::) :P :P :-[

still i would volunteer to play a role in mixing, since then i back up my files, hope i got a bit better in mixing.... :P :P :P :P

well, i like projects that have too many tracks....but i can totally understand that people out here specifically don't want me to mix this one  ;D ;D ;D because this one sounds pretty horrible to me now too

but keep the creative juices flowing, this one should be specifically about songwriting and singer songwriter forces joining together from the conception of the track. So the music, the lyrics, the perforing etc...and bigger, but also clealry better then my: life goes by attempt

god, that sounds bad, but i just switched to reaper then and i had no clue about how to do it

PeeJay

• Platinum Album
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2013, 08:11:55 PM »
Here's something that fits the theme but may not be suitable for singing by a massed choir. It might contain something of use that can be plucked out of it though. Or not as the case may be!

Humming And Strumming:

We’re always humming and strumming
Working on something
For SoundCloud
Hoping all of our struggling
Means someone noticing
Somehow

We’re dreaming some A & R man
With money and big plans
Comes smiling
Brings the key to unlock the door
Saying we’re great before
Signing

We’d be finally recognised
Feted and eulogised
Coming through!
The whole world could appreciate
Hearing our songs and say
Thank you

Meanwhile we’re here in our bedrooms
With guitar and Pro Tools
Creating
We’ve uploaded our latest tracks
Now they sit in the stack
…Waiting

We’re always humming and strumming
Working on something
For SoundCloud
Hoping all of our struggling
Means someone noticing
Somehow

We’re dreaming some A & R man
With money and big plans
Comes smiling….
I don't know what i'm doing but i do it anyway.